[1.12.x] Textures Unlimited Recolour Depot

If i wanted to make certain mods recolourable, is that something an average person can do? I was reading that it can take a looooong time, 5+ hours per, depending on various things, but generally can an average person use a template style setup, and copy/paste and modify to suit each part?

On 3/22/2020 at 11:08 PM, lk00david said:

I installed the procedural wings patch and don't have an option to open TU, any ideas about what the problem could be?

My hunch would be that you don't have the core Stock pack installed. You don't need the entire pack though, just grab the texture sets configs and place them in your install.

On 3/23/2020 at 1:22 AM, serialblack said:

If i wanted to make certain mods recolourable, is that something an average person can do? I was reading that it can take a looooong time, 5+ hours per, depending on various things, but generally can an average person use a template style setup, and copy/paste and modify to suit each part?

Yes, anyone can do it. I only use GIMP and Notepad++ alongside features available within TexturesUnlimited and some other mods (ObjectInspector or DebugStuff).  Though the need for these debug tools has been significantly reduced due to improvements in TU's own data mining.

3 hours ago, Karussko said:

So i found how to switch texture on all parts, i did not see the switch on each part, my fault.
Still, relfects aren't what they should :/

Hmm, first of all, double check your graphics options in game. There's one particular setting that is very important, "Reflection Refresh Mode", which needs to be set to anything other than None.

@Manwith Noname Thanx for making all these. ;)

Have you ever thought about making a repo for everything all in one place, on Github or the like?

I know it would make it easier for people to grab the different packs, and especially older releases, from a single page like you can do with Github releases, rather than having two seperate tabs open, and clicking and closing each, just to grab each release... vOv

or mebbe even SpaceDock... vOv

Anyway, THANX AGAIN for the mod!

Edited by Stone Blue

@Manwith Noname Sorry, got distracted there for a bit, but I do still intend on releasing an updated to TU that has the recently added 'multi-TUPartVariant' module support in it, hopefully sometime over the weekend.  Have you run into any issues with the system as currently implemented?  Looked like it was working, but as I said when I posted it, I did zero testing on the changes; just wanted to see if there were any problems, or if it was all working as expected.

On 3/24/2020 at 5:20 PM, Manwith Noname said:

Hmm, first of all, double check your graphics options in game. There's one particular setting that is very important, "Reflection Refresh Mode", which needs to be set to anything other than None.

This parameter (or parametre i don't know) is on 'every frame'

On 3/24/2020 at 10:20 AM, Manwith Noname said:

@Karussko  Also make sure you don't have TextureReplacer or TextureReplacerReplaced installed, as those are known to disable the stock reflection system (and cause other conflicts).

(it may be possible to still use them, with specific changes to their configurations, but I'm not personally sure what those would be; never used either of them)

Is there a way to color all of the parts in a craft in one go or do I have to do each part separately? I've been using this mod in my new game and while it's absolutely incredible, I don't see how this would be feasible late game to color each and every part in very large crafts. Thanks!

Edited by Stongduke

@Manwith Noname I havent dug into this yet, but I'm wondering if it would now be possible to use the latest version of B9PartSwitch, to tweak the material properties of the *original* base textures included in each mod, rather than redistributing modifed textures in *this* mod??
Latest B9PS added the ability to tweak a bunch of material properties, on existing textures.

I know this would cut down your OPT pack *A LOT*... IIRC, youre pack is ~93MB... OPT has some HUGE base textures, I would rather not have to replce or duplicate, just for color switching, if B9 can do it vOv

On 3/25/2020 at 10:59 AM, Hannil said:

Hello ! do you know if it works well with "ReStock" mod ? or if it's still making bad issue ?

It shouldn't cause any problems, you'll just end up only being able to manipulate recolouring on parts that still exist from the game ReStock doesn't touch. Everything is setup to prevent conflicts with parts altered by ReStock, though there may be things I have not found from brief checks. It's 300 parts and while I do what I can to make things play nice based on what I find in the files, placing everything in the editor and manually checking them takes time. If someone with both installed finds something that conflicts, they can report it and I'll do what I can to fix it but I'm not particularly keen in sitting in front of my computer for 2 hours just placing parts when I could be working on other things that I know need to be done.

On 3/25/2020 at 5:27 PM, Shadowmage said:

@Manwith Noname Sorry, got distracted there for a bit, but I do still intend on releasing an updated to TU that has the recently added 'multi-TUPartVariant' module support in it, hopefully sometime over the weekend.  Have you run into any issues with the system as currently implemented?  Looked like it was working, but as I said when I posted it, I did zero testing on the changes; just wanted to see if there were any problems, or if it was all working as expected.

No new issues thus far. There's the ol' problem we spoke about in the past where multiples of the same part using PartVariants share colour schemes but not sure that is easily solvable from my memory of the conversation. Well, you can paint them differently in the editor but the last colour set applied is used when launched. There's a way to work around it by launching the craft and reverting to hangar, then you can colour one of them in another scheme and the next launch they have independent paint jobs.

Spoiler

066D80BBDE4A81F4053144B6D44DC9AF75B77830

On 3/25/2020 at 8:17 PM, Karussko said:

This parameter (or parametre i don't know) is on 'every frame'

Is the render quality set to good or higher? KSP apparently disables the reflection probe when set below good which causes things to look very strange indeed due to the loss of reflections data.

12 hours ago, Stongduke said:

Is there a way to color all of the parts in a craft in one go or do I have to do each part separately? I've been using this mod in my new game and while it's absolutely incredible, I don't see how this would be feasible late game to color each and every part in very large crafts. Thanks!

There is not a way to parse colour sets through the craft tree but there are ways to speed up the manual process. If you configure a part in a scheme you like and want that throughout the craft, make use of the store and load pattern buttons in the GUI. This does still take some time and you may not want every part the same scheme but it helps a lot. At some point, I may go through the parts and assign something so that when selecting the recolour scheme it's not RGB, I just find this preset useful when configuring parts and making it apparent that the recolour scheme is selected.

You could of course edit the master COLOR block in the recolouring texture set so it assigns white paint or any combination of preset colours you desire.

11 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

@Manwith Noname I havent dug into this yet, but I'm wondering if it would now be possible to use the latest version of B9PartSwitch, to tweak the material properties of the *original* base textures included in each mod, rather than redistributing modifed textures in *this* mod??
Latest B9PS added the ability to tweak a bunch of material properties, on existing textures.

I know this would cut down your OPT pack *A LOT*... IIRC, youre pack is ~93MB... OPT has some HUGE base textures, I would rather not have to replce or duplicate, just for color switching, if B9 can do it vOv

What you are suggesting can be done from within TU (manipulating material properties on existing textures), in fact, it was essentially how these packs were setup previously and to some extent, still is (it's what the "It's all shiny" set does). The diffuse texture is nearly always the supplied texture by the part (there are a few cases where I have created alternative textures for the diffuse for various reasons) so nothing is really duplicated. What comes extra are due to the nature of PBR and the further texture inputs that make it function correctly.

In the past, only specific parts had dedicated metallicglossmaps and the supplied textures be it stock or mod were referenced in place. It "works" but is limited for a few reasons. Mainly, the biggest issue comes down to the meshes of the model in game. The majority of parts are a single mesh which means only one MATERIAL (I'm not shouting,just indicating how these are referenced) can be assigned over it. The metallicglossmap allows for texture input to vary the apparent material properties over the mesh. So, for example, take a cockpit with only a single mesh. Without a metallicglossmap texture you cannot have the window look more glass like while the end plates look like metal and something else looking like rubber. Well, you might be able to come up with ways of manually defining UV coordinates with various metallic and specular values at a config level but...I can't imagine it being an improvement over supplying a texture input.

As for OPT, yes, it has some larger textures but I would hasten to add that just looking at a texture size isn't the entire story. There are 4096x4096 textures which on the face of it might seem huge for KSP but they are being used to cover multiple different parts. So, in some ways, it wouldn't be that much different overall if those parts all had their own individual 1024 or 2048 textures. Granted, I don't think any of the 4k textures cover 16 parts but at the same time, there's a reason OPT generally looks nice even when up close and not all smudgy and blurry.

While it's not fair to compare apples and oranges, many games these days use 4k dds textures or higher in a much denser area than parts in KSP and at some point, I had considered making the stock pack with double the resolution of the supplied stock textures. See the spoiler below for how that would have looked...sort of.

Spoiler

EC35CE7B2A54DD3A9261947ABA9D4A98C45DE055

Ultimately, while I understand the concern of resources there are reasons for things being the way they are.

Edited by Manwith Noname

On 3/24/2020 at 11:20 AM, Manwith Noname said:

My hunch would be that you don't have the core Stock pack installed. You don't need the entire pack though, just grab the texture sets configs and place them in your install.

Yes, anyone can do it. I only use GIMP and Notepad++ alongside features available within TexturesUnlimited and some other mods (ObjectInspector or DebugStuff).  Though the need for these debug tools has been significantly reduced due to improvements in TU's own data mining.

I believe the problem was I didn't have the latest TU version, either way, it works now and it is absolutely beautiful. Keep up the good work, cheers!

@lk00david This was something that bugged me year ago when the MK3 parts first appeared. I wanted to make it so you could pretty much do that but the manner in which some models are unwrapped, the area of the texture used for both top and bottom is the same. This doesn't apply to all parts though from memory. Fuel tanks and wings are the main ones I remember it on. The cockpit can be done but I'm vague on the cargo bays, I'd need to look at them again to be sure either way.

Stay at home Sunday report. The Spark, which I had previously made a bit a mess of trying to work around restrictions has received a revamp.

Spoiler

BCC1E562B6759CC6C86C72C14332865408E3C30D

1 minute ago, Manwith Noname said:

@lk00david This was something that bugged me year ago when the MK3 parts first appeared. I wanted to make it so you could pretty much do that but the manner in which some models are unwrapped, the area of the texture used for both top and bottom is the same. This doesn't apply to all parts though from memory. Fuel tanks and wings are the main ones I remember it on. The cockpit can be done but I'm vague on the cargo bays, I'd need to look at them again to be sure either way.

Stay at home Sunday report. The Spark, which I had previously made a bit a mess of trying to work around restrictions has received a revamp.

Hide contents

BCC1E562B6759CC6C86C72C14332865408E3C30D

sounds good, please keep us all posted as I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this sounds awesome, stay safe :D

6 hours ago, lk00david said:

sounds good, please keep us all posted as I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this sounds awesome, stay safe :D

Ditto. It would also be great if this applied to the OPT parts as well. I was wishing this was the case while building an ssto cargo shuttle yesterday. I settled for glossy wings.

DVsGdU8.png

Edit because it doesn't matter anymore.

Now... Reflections seem to change in flight in a weird way. I don't know how to describe it. It changes constantly 4 or 5 times per second. Is this normal behaviour?

Edited by Agustin

On 3/30/2020 at 2:57 AM, lk00david said:

I looked in to it and it's bad news I'm afraid. The only part that doesn't mirror textures top and bottom (in terms of shuttle replicas) is the cockpit. Saying that, there's the booster plate too I suspect but cargo bays and fuel use the same part of the texture for both top and bottom on the same mesh, which makes it impossible to do any trickery I have done in the past to get round things like this. Basically, whatever paint is applied to the bottom gets applied to the top. There's a way round it but it's not pretty and involves new models with more meshes and new UV data.

Edit: I made this for a visual reference of what I'm trying to explain. I put a single green splodge on the paint texture and this is what occurs in game as a result...

Spoiler

53E8F2E15919199AFEE8CCC92568D31E7EB2FA0D

I have not checked yet but OPT might be possible and it's certainly a use for the blue layer which has yet to be implemented on most parts.

On 3/31/2020 at 6:13 AM, Sky! (Big nerd) said:

Hey, have you considered making a patch for the SXT cockpits so that the rp-1 players can have a more fun time making planes without them being ugly? Either way, thank you for all your hard work! :)

Heh, I've considered every mod that exists, it just takes time.

On 3/31/2020 at 6:09 PM, UZZO007 said:

Hi, does anyone know where to find this mod but for ksp RSS/RO

This should still work with RSS/RO. They just change the solar system and other behaviour in parts. So long as they don't rename the PART, all the packs should work.

9 hours ago, Agustin said:

Edit because it doesn't matter anymore.

Now... Reflections seem to change in flight in a weird way. I don't know how to describe it. It changes constantly 4 or 5 times per second. Is this normal behaviour?

I'm unclear whether what remains is a new problem or the issue you no longer have so I'll answer just to be sure. I imagine what you describe here just needs the reflection update mode changed. Every frame offers smooth reflection behaviour, I have not tested with lower options but I imagine they will produce a stutter type behaviour in the look of reflections because that is typically how the rendering of them is altered to reduce computation and improve performance.

Edited by Manwith Noname

Yes.. It seems to be that. thuogh my pc runs out of fps if I change to every frame. I think I'll stay in low. Thanks anyway. My previous questions was about a crash to desktop I had, but I think it had something to do with using stock fairings. I am using procedural wings now, which seems to work absolutely beautifuly.

@Agustin Ah, ok. While I have never experienced a crash to desktop from anything related to Textures Unlimited, if you manage to track something down in that area that's conclusive it would be appreciated. The fairings do currently have an issue I haven't got round to investigating but it shouldn't cause crashes to my knowledge and so it's on my list of minor problems to look at when more pressing things are sorted.