[1.12.x] Textures Unlimited Recolour Depot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hear Ye Hear Ye.

The first production release of my recolouration work for Making History and Breaking Ground is now out!

https://github.com/OnlyLightMatters/TURD-MH-BG/releases/tag/stable001

What it does

• covers Making History parts with giving them the It's all Shiny effect provided by TURD (*)
  • covers Breaking ground parts including deployable instruments with giving them the It's all Shiny effect provided by TURD (**)
  • bring recoloration to MH parts (*)
  • bring recoloration to BG parts
    (*) except flags which are not supported in TURD
    (**) except deployable science instruments

Known bugs

• the panels and triangles parts have a bug causing the lack of the ability to switch back to the default variant. You have to dump the part and
    pick it again from the inventory. This bug is known and also applies to the Rockomax X200 16.
  • MH fairing have the same bugs than the stock ones.
  • some errors and warnings in the KSP.log but with no effect on the gameplay

What could be better

• Some textures could be better (the FL-C1000 Fuel Tank is a good example). Squad diffuse textures cause artefacts when using metallic recolouration.

What will NOT be done

• I will very likely NOT make local recolouration masks for Deployable Science Instruments (Breaking Ground). They are not craft parts, there is little interest to make TU masks for them.

Installation

• take a look at the README file at the root of the repo.
  • 3 assets are provided for downloading. Pick either only MH package or BG package or you can have both DLCs in one file.

On 9/25/2021 at 3:44 AM, OnlyLightMatters said:

Making a demonstration for TURD + TURD-MH-BG (my work).

TURD-MH-BG is used to recolour rectangular and circular grip pads (BG), structural triangles (MH), Bobcat (MH).

242728359_10158579151387842_843065629622

242705321_10158579153067842_187045372174

242671535_10158579151317842_380383120329

243020508_10158579151292842_438990464796

These look fantastic!

I just tested TURD + Stock Recolor + MH-BG_Stable_001. It's working great for MH and BG parts! However, I'm still not seeing the docking port fix that you have on screen here. Did I miss a download or a config? Or is this part of another update you guys are currently working on? 

Background: ALL docking ports still have blank textures for me as of the 1.12 update, which made changes to the stock docking port models. Everything else works great!

Temporary Solution: I've deleted all references to docking ports in the 1110_Standardised_Switching.cfg and 1110_Standardised_Recolour.cfg config files. This seems to just revert the docking port colors and textures back to stock 1.12 without effecting anything else (albeit no sexy modded paint jobs). If anyone is interested, let me know what the best/safest way to post edited config files is!

The Airplane Plus Turd would make the Airplane Plus's piston propeller engine can't show its rotating disc during flight, which means the blades just roate fast but can not have animation transition into disc rotating.

Seems that other Mk2 and Mk3 Turd still have their properller disc showing fine.

Wonder how to fix that problem.

Edited by DuckDuckCute

19 hours ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

I can confirm the latest TURD package is not compliant with 1.12.x. We will have to wait for @Manwith Noname's update.
I also noticed that the s1p5 and s4 fairings have been forgotten in my TURD-MH-BG work. I will fix them this week.

You guys are doing the Kerman's work, thanks a bunch!

11 hours ago, WindupHero7 said:

After installing TURD it seems my air intakes and engines have holes in them where you can see straight through the entire part, where the "dark spaces" of the interior should be

Could you please post a screen capture? I have spent weeks on TURD (but < v1.12.x) I did not notice that.

On 7/17/2021 at 6:23 PM, Dominiquini said:

Why this mod is not on CKAN?

That's a good question, but I can tell you that if it were, mine would be also. There is actually no sense for TURD-MH-BG to be available on CKAN while its dependency is not.

12 hours ago, WindupHero7 said:

After installing TURD it seems my air intakes and engines have holes in them where you can see straight through the entire part, where the "dark spaces" of the interior should be

Do you use, by chance, "Restock"?

Because it uses some "deepmasks" to, basically, mask any clipping part that could go thru an air intake, technically with the intent to hide such parts, and show only the air intake itself (basically using the same shader that are used when you turn on the internal view of a capsule)
But it never looked right to me, obtaining exactly the effect described by you, to make all the masked area basically "see throught"/invisible

If that is the case and you want to remove it from Restock, you have just to navigate to "... <...your install>.../GameData/ReStock/Patches/Aerodynamics" and delete the file "restock-intakes-depthmasks.cfg"

If do you not have ReStock, you should then just search for other cfg that have the deepmask additional .mu model that creates the mask, for the part that show that behaviour. i found very few using it, aside restock, and generally is a patch thst is related to Restock, rather than a set directly on the main parg .cfg file (and generally only by mod that are in the ReStock team, so it easy to find) because it uses the module named "ModuleRestockDepthMask" (so in its MM patch, there is often a reference to ":NEEDS" related to restock itself

Edited by Araym

On 9/28/2021 at 10:11 AM, DuckDuckCute said:

The Airplane Plus Turd would make the Airplane Plus's piston propeller engine can't show its rotating disc during flight, which means the blades just roate fast but can not have animation transition into disc rotating.

Seems that other Mk2 and Mk3 Turd still have their properller disc showing fine.

Wonder how to fix that problem.

I still have to take a look at AirplanePlus parts, but my "educated guess" is that a lot of AirplanePlus propeller engines have a specific texture files that is used for the "rotating disk", and probably the base "texture switch" config added by TURD is working only on the main body of the part itself (and the blades when they are not spinning), but not catching back the "turning disk" original texture (I didn't see an equivalent "recolored" disk, for example)

(P.s.: i'm not a dev of TURD... just a random guy that has a bit of experience of "customizing" KSP, to make some guesses)

"Mk2Extended" and "Mk3Extended" make use of A LOT of stock textures, recycled from the most disparated Squad sources, even for their propellers, so it could be proably easier to redirect them to a new set, alike those needed by TURD, by their native setup

Edited by Araym

Can anyone confirms the mod still works in 1.12 ? I downloaded it trough CKAN, not working as of now (Using Module Manager 4.2.1), all I get is a red/blue/green texture thing that looks like a template for actual painting textures. Thanks in advance :)

Edited by TT213

5 hours ago, TT213 said:

Can anyone confirms the mod still works in 1.12 ? I downloaded it trough CKAN, not working as of now (Using Module Manager 4.2.1), all I get is a red/blue/green texture thing that looks like a template for actual painting textures. Thanks in advance :)

Although not supported, textures that haven't been touched by the 1.12 update (most fuel tanks, wings, engines or structural pieces) should work fine.

A brief but important notice covering some recently raised issues:

Airplane Plus

The change in behaviour with the prop blur is intentional due to lack of a shader that gave me the result I wanted so I altered the behaviour. If you want prop blur back, just delete the FSProp_Reconfig.cfg file in the TU_APP_Recolour folder.

CKAN

I have nothing to do with this. Somebody went out of their way to create their own repo and link it. I don't know what else if anything they have done. I don't use CKAN therefore I cannot support things download from it.

Life got a bit crazy so I have not progressed much on making colour masks. I'll try to put together the package as is on the stock front so at least the switch is in place pointing to correct textures and meshes along with the "shiny" metal. From memory this is done I just need to pack it in a form that people can easily download and use.

Edited by Manwith Noname

On 9/30/2021 at 7:09 AM, Davi SDF said:

Although not supported, textures that haven't been touched by the 1.12 update (most fuel tanks, wings, engines or structural pieces) should work fine.

Oh you were right, I just didn't understood how the UI worked. Also, how do you store/load colors ? Clicking on the buttons while using a custom paint doesnt do anything sadly.

1 minute ago, TT213 said:

Oh you were right, I just didn't understood how the UI worked. Also, how do you store/load colors ? Clicking on the buttons while using a custom paint doesnt do anything sadly.

It's more of a "Copy" button, then you select an area you want to recolor and press "Load Color", like in a "Paste" button, if doing this doesn't work, then i don't know how to help

On 9/30/2021 at 3:40 PM, Manwith Noname said:

Life got a bit crazy so I have not progressed much on making colour masks. I'll try to put together the package as is on the stock front so at least the switch is in place pointing to correct textures and meshes along with the "shiny" metal. From memory this is done I just need to pack it in a form that people can easily download and use.

That I understand completely. It can sometimes be difficult to focus on our personal projects :/ 

I made a short video in which I present my modding work for bringing recoloration to Making History and Breaking Ground parts. You will see at the end of the video the last ships I presented here.

On 9/30/2021 at 2:07 AM, TT213 said:

On 9/30/2021 at 3:40 PM, Manwith Noname said:

CKAN

I have nothing to do with this. Somebody went out of their way to create their own repo and link it. I don't know what else if anything they have done. I don't use CKAN therefore I cannot support things download from it.

TURD isn't on CKAN.
@TT213, what you installed is probably "Textures Unlimited". This is not the same as TURD, and explains why it "didn't work" for you. You need to install it manually, see the download links in the first post.
@Manwith Noname no worries, we won't index any of your mods without your consent, we would ask you before indexing it. But right now it wouldn't actually be possible, because CKAN doesn't support Google Drive download links (or better: Google blocks software that is not a browser controlled by a human from downloading).

@DasSkelett Thank you for the information. Heh, obviously I didn't check the report myself but I have previously seen a repo by someone that looks like it was intended to become files CKAN could access. To clarify my comment, I don't have an issue with CKAN or the repo I saw. It was just a response to say, other than knowing they exist I have no connection with what is available there, which it turns out is nothing from your comment.

For everyone else, the stock recolour link has been updated. Hopefully, everything should be functional and correctly calling textures on all parts that were changed / new in 1.12. Basically docking ports should be fixed but missing recolour and the new solar panels are covered.

Looking to the future, now Squad are finished with the game I do plan on revisiting parts I had expected they might remodel / retexture. I've also got some unfinished mod packs that I want to get through.

6 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

For everyone else, the stock recolour link has been updated. Hopefully, everything should be functional and correctly calling textures on all parts that were changed / new in 1.12. Basically docking ports should be fixed but missing recolour and the new solar panels are covered.

That's a very good news! I will spread the word in the communities I'm involved with and make a good publicity of your new release :)