[1.12.x] Textures Unlimited Recolour Depot

Now that 1.12.2 and MH/BG are done, are there plans for a patch for ReStock? I've always wanted to use TURD but I mainly use ReStock so I haven't gotten the chance, and I've seen a few other people ask about this in this topic :)

38 minutes ago, JustDark said:

Now that 1.12.2 and MH/BG are done, are there plans for a patch for ReStock? I've always wanted to use TURD but I mainly use ReStock so I haven't gotten the chance, and I've seen a few other people ask about this in this topic :)

I speak for myself and myself only. I will likely never make a patch for Restock. I consider there are many more important things to do first and see little interest in making hundreds of paint masks/specular textures for an already very satisfying mod. I have clearly not enough motivation to spend hundreds of hours in Restock/+ regarding the number of part to process.

I am much more interested in:

• giving a hand in revisiting the stock parts, some of them are not [fully] recolorizable (batteries, cupola, MK2 parts, some MK3 parts, engines like KS25, Reliant, Swivel, Nerv, Rhino)
  • bringing a support to Kerbalism, KER, KOS, MJ.
  • improving the work i've done / fixing my bugs
  • training other people so that they could to the same work on other mods.

And you? Are you willing to contribute and spend at least a couple of hours each night during several weeks/months?

Edited by OnlyLightMatters

2 hours ago, theleg said:

Do you mean that you'll be teaching others how to make such mods?

Yes. I don't know as much as Manwith Noname but I can teach what I have learned to make recolor setups. However having GIMP/Photoshop basic skills for the basic tools is required, The major requirement is still having spare time and a huge motivation to contribute.

@jonathan_92 The data for how a craft is coloured is stored inside the craft file and subsequently as part of the craft data within a save (persistence.sfs).

This update should only cause issues on craft with the various docking ports if they used a recolour texture set. If it uses the blanket shine set it should be exactly as it was. If a file remains unchanged, it will also recall the correct settings when I finish the colour masks, provided I don't rename the texture set. Which I shouldn't.

Also might be worth mentioning, if a texture set is missing and cannot be recalled, the part will just fall back to the stock look.

23 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

What other mods do you have installed?

(looks like you have TS, which might cause some problems)

Oh, boy... theres alot of them. (100+)

also, im playing on 1.9.1

mouse aim flight
glass things
click through blocker
TU
toolbarcontroller
ksp recall
 airplanes plus
animated decouplers
 ASET
aviation cockpits
aviation lights
MOARdv's avionics systems
 b9 aerospace, hx, legacy, Pwings, hx reconfig, and partswitch
BDA
bdmk22
bdmodular missile parts
camera tools
carnation RED flexible parts
chatterer
cold war aerospace
craft manager
community terrain texture pack
custom prelaunch checks
destruction effects
DMModuleScienceAnimate
eskandare heavy industries
event horizon
 Tweakscale
fantom works (old eskandare)
FAR
firespitter
flagpack
hanger extender
improved chase camera
interstellar fuel switch
MNWS
JSIPartUtilities
KAS
kerbal engineer
kerbal foundries 
kerbalized decals

kerbalized flagpack
kerbal joint reinforcement
kerbal konstructs
kerbal reusability expansion 
kerbaltek
Kerbalx
kerbinside remastered
Aircraft Carrier Accessories
KerGuise Engineering eXperimental
ksc extended
ksc harbor
ksp wheel
kxapi
magic smoke industries
mk2 expansion
mk3 expansion
MOARdv
modular flight integrator
 modular launch pads
Module manager 
near future props
Nebula decals
North kerbin dynamics
NMB
open cockpit
OPT
OPT legacy
omega's stockalike structures
P.E.W
patch manager
physics range extender
planet shine
procedural dynamics
procedural fairings
procedural parts
quantum struts continued

quiztech aero continued
real plume
real plume-stock
retractable lifting surfaces
retro future
scatterer
show fps
simple adjustable fairings
SM industries
smoke screen
source (?)
space tux
SXT
TU, stock, APP, OPT, Pwings, standardized switching
tundra exploration
tundra space center
 us flag pack v2
vanguard technologies
vessel mover
vessel view
warp plugin
waterfall
wild blue industries
world airforce insignias
ZeroMiniAVC

Edited by Elon Musky boi

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

It looks like the new Scatterer update is not compatible with TU / TURD, Blackrack will investigate but don't have a clue of what's going on.

Maybe you do, at TU / TURD Team ? What could go wrong between TU / TURD and a new release of Scatterer ?

Please find every details here :)

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip112x-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-00825-11112021-scattering-improvements-in-game-atmo-generation-and-multi-sun-support/&do=findComment&comment=4053754

On 11/13/2021 at 6:06 PM, Dakitess said:

It looks like the new Scatterer update is not compatible with TU / TURD, Blackrack will investigate but don't have a clue of what's going on.

Maybe you do, at TU / TURD Team 

In a word, no. (EDIT: See edit below)

I just downloaded the latest Scatterer and plonked it in my install, loaded up a basic craft painted with variations of the platinum metal all over (basically different levels of reflection) and it all behaves normally for me. Even tried different levels of reflection refresh thinking it might be that and got a whole load of nope in terms of recreating the effect from your video. So it's not directly scatterer per se from my experience but possibly a setting I haven't altered or something to do with scatterer and E.V.E combo.

EDIT: Ok, I had some time to muck about a bit more and have managed to recreate the issue by adding E.V.E Redux in to the mix. I would also point out that it happens with just E.V.E Redux and no Scatterer. Why? Don't know. Something flickers / strobes in the reflection probe that isn't immediately obvious in the main scene. Possibly shadow related or perhaps the noise swirl thing that is going on. Can perhaps narrow it down with some config tweaking.

Another edit: Yeah, if you make a part completely smooth you can see stroboscopic clouds.

Edited by Manwith Noname

Thank you very much for your feedback and tests ! It helps a lot, I'll see with Blackrack if these details allow to bring a fix, since he's also the Dev of EVE Redux.

Though, as for my install, the only single change of Scatterer from the previous and the new version cause the flickering, with no change to EVE Redux. But as they are somehow related, it might still be a thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 10:39 PM, Elon Musky boi said:

is there any way to fix this? 

20211011162807-1.jpg

That is because normals were broken somehow from one KSP release to another. Fixing this is a bit of a pain, but it essentially involves editing all materials without normal maps (no _BumpMap texture) to use a fixed color.

Previously, the lack of a normal map simply implied that the map was blank. For some reason, that is no longer the case.

7 hours ago, Delay said:

That is because normals were broken somehow from one KSP release to another. Fixing this is a bit of a pain, but it essentially involves editing all materials without normal maps (no _BumpMap texture) to use a fixed color.

Any part these configs alter already have a flat placeholder normal map applied. That has been the case since the project began. When the problem you are referring to appeared, the place holder normal maps were not affected by the issue.

I would perhaps suggest if they are using the latest TU or recolour pack with KSP 1.9 then they should source something from that time but as far as tracking down conflicts with other mods that might be causing it...unfortunately they'll need to apply their own investigative methods amongst their 100+ mods.

Edit: I would also suggest checking that the install is correct. If the texture is not found then this problem would likely return.

Edited by Manwith Noname

I meant via what @Electrocutor had suggested to me when I ran into this issue.

textureColor = _BumpMap, 0.5, 0.5, 1.0, 0.5

It solved it for me, whereas actual placeholder bump maps did not.

Speaking of bump maps, this reminds me. What format are .dds files stored in? Because right now I'm using .png just to get my textures working.

25 minutes ago, Delay said:

Speaking of bump maps, this reminds me. What format are .dds files stored in? Because right now I'm using .png just to get my textures working.

KSP should convert png files to the appropriate format but that might explain why your normal maps failed. A plain albedo / diffuse texture if it is only using the RGB layer can be DXT1. Anything that uses the alpha layer (like metal / gloss maps) should be DXT5. Normal maps want to be DXT5nm or BC7 BC5. If you export to BC7 BC5 you need to add the appropriate keyword in the config so TU knows.

Edited by Manwith Noname

2 minutes ago, Manwith Noname said:

KSP should convert png files to the appropriate format but that might explain why your normal maps failed. A plain albedo / diffuse texture if it is only using the RGB layer can be DXT1. Anything that uses the alpha layer (like metal / gloss maps) should be DXT5. Normal maps want to be DXT5nm or BC7. If you export to BC7 you need to add the appropriate keyword in the config so TU knows.

Thanks, I'll try that. As for my pseudo-normal maps, they were .dds files. I tried a few options in the gimp plugin and none worked, so I assumed none of them would.

Well, the code solution works as well, and that's what matters at the end of the day . (I'd still recommend at least trying that, just to be sure).

• 2 months later...