[1.12.x] Textures Unlimited Recolour Depot

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2022 at 3:42 AM, teylife said:

@OnlyLightMattershello, nice to meet you, right now I am working with a list of mods, and many of them are not supported in this mod, I have seen that you have experience in working with this mod and creating patches, I was wondering if you could help me to create my own patches?

Hi teylife.
Of course I can give you some insights to help you understand the work to be done. We will do this in a private message to avoid polluting this thread. I suggest that you -if not already done- start with looking cfg files and the way the dds files are done with the help of the psd files located in my github repository. Make a list of questions. We will start on this basis.

10 hours ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

Hi teylife.
Of course I can give you some insights to help you understand the work to be done. We will do this in a private message to avoid polluting this thread. I suggest that you -if not already done- start with looking cfg files and the way the dds files are done with the help of the psd files located in my github repository. Make a list of questions. We will start on this basis.

of course, that was my idea but I didn't start the message because I don't have it enabled on this account, could you start a private conversation please

Edit: Hmm, I used the version of TU packed with TURD and it works, though the version numbers match the one installed by CKAN, so don't worry about below

Hey, long time no chat! I am seeing this behaviour with coloring Fairings (always an issue) even the stock colors do not seem to work, and no shiny! :) This is without any mods except Modulemanager, TU and TURD, without TURD the stock colors work. Latest version  1122_TU_Stock_Recolour_v0_3_8 and latest MH and BG configurations. Shown is the 3.75m fairing, but all seem to have the same behaviour.
LOG:

[LOG 11:16:52.412] ERROR: TUPartVariant could not locate default or stored texture set data
[LOG 11:16:52.412] TUPartVariant OnStart

[LOG 11:16:52.508] ERROR: Could not locate TextureSet for MODEL_SHADER from global cache for the input name of: 
[LOG 11:17:05.586] Variant applied: Orange

HHhReQ0.png

Kn3LcJs.png

Edited by selfish_meme

Alright, first things first...

UPDATE

It is advisable to delete the pre existing Stock Recolour installation

The Stock recolour pack has been updated. Notable additions are things that were new in 1.12 but never got their lick of paint. So, new docking ports along with Swivel and Reliant engines. As I type this I just remembered an issue I spotted but can't recall if I fixed...such is life. Also of note, many parts have been tweaked or added among various other areas of the game. Forewarning, if you have recoloured and saved a structural beam or girder it will likely look weird now but only because the previous existing config was incomplete. In general, any craft that uses parts residing in the structural folder of the game files (not the in editer menu) may want a repaint. For visual reference...

Spoiler

FD2FC0FF1BDE2B6C18A41DBD7F02E10619571BD4

This likely also applies to many parts in the Utility folder (again, game files, not the editor menu).

Spoiler

ECEA94B56554DEA22FD1B93A6100D9D76EA9C027

There's still many things I want to tweak / finish / add but now seems like a good point to upload what is done.

While I've been busy stuff...

On 2/12/2022 at 7:13 AM, OnlyLightMatters said:

We will do this in a private message to avoid polluting this thread.

Any discussion that is about creating configs is welcome to be added to the thread. I appreciate some cards may want to be held close to ones chest (like don't tell everyone your working on ReStock if you haven't even started it) but general "how do I do this?" and guidance for workflow is fine. We can all share and learn from each other.

On 1/30/2022 at 2:26 AM, epicer12 said:

How do you install this I am having trouble getting it to work

In all the zip files you should find a GameData folder. You can either extract that to the root install of your game or extract the contents of that GameData folder to the existing GameData folder of your install. The main thing to be aware of is not to create GameDataception by dropping the GameData folder inside the existing GameData folder. I think I need to type GameData one more time, so...GameData.

On 2/19/2022 at 12:43 AM, selfish_meme said:

Edit: Hmm, I used the version of TU packed with TURD and it works, though the version numbers match the one installed by CKAN, so don't worry about below

To explain this, the included pack contains a dll file from the development branch of Textures Unlimited. This has added functionality specific to allowing increased configuration flexibility with the Stock ModulePartVariant. This is present on fairings among other things which is why using the dll that doesn't include this feature spits the error.

On 2/20/2022 at 1:16 AM, Pearx said:

Hey, is there any way to make the shiny option the default option?

Any help would be appreciated.

There is a post somewhere in the earlier days of this thread I think that describes this but it's fairly simple to do so I'll type it here.

Open the file 112x_Standardised_Switching.cfg in a text editor of your choice. Use the find and replace function to find...

currentTextureSet = Stock_Default

...and replace all instances with...

currentTextureSet = Alternate_Stock_Metallic

This will for the most part do what you want. It will not work for parts which utilise the stock part variant module though. I did at one point start naming themes that would allow you to use the in game function but it got a bit messy so I mostly shelved it and planned on thinking about how best to do it. Some parts of that might remain if I didn't comment them out in the configs.

Bye, have a beautiful time!

Spoiler

Edited by Manwith Noname

Hi all, I'm running TURD, TU,  and all the compatibility packs on 1.12.3 and I'm having a frustrating issue. It seems to happen on any scene change, all of my custom paint or my variant choice disappears and I see stock textures. I am noticing that even when I select stock parts and apply a variant, they will revert to default on scene change. They still seem to have some reflectivity applied to them, but they have no texture applied. It appears that stock parts are mostly affected. Non-stock parts supported by config packs seem to operate as intended. 

I have searched a fair bit of the previous discussion and while I've seen others with the same issue, no fix was ever mentioned (that I could identify). I Reinstalled or updated EVE and Scatterer, as well as about a dozen other mods and purged as much as I could, but the problem persisted and I believe it might be version specific to 1.12X or involving the Squad core parts pack config files. 

If OP or anyone here have ever came across this problem and know a fix, please let me know!

Update:

Edited by anthonyalessi88
Clarification on actions taken

• 4 weeks later...

Batteries Not Now Included - An Electrical Overhaul

Spoiler

EF4E1E81271E55457F9BA667D84371DF2EB99EF9

E900C5FC2C1F1D917F77631D405683B90BCF2717

The Stock Recolour pack has been updated to bring an overhaul and completeness to electrical components. Of note, the "new" shrouded solar panels on any existing craft may need to be checked (and will probably be broken) due to renaming of a texture set for surprise reasons. People may or may not notice the changes but kinda needed to be done to correctly implement...something. Also many of the older parts probably want checking on existing craft as they were previously only "placeholder" configured. Oh, and batteries can now be messed with. Still some things I want to tweak some time in the future but everything "should" be very close to whatever those changes may bring.

As always, probably best to delete the existing stock recolour folders before extracting this one.

On 3/1/2022 at 7:07 AM, anthonyalessi88 said:

If OP or anyone here have ever came across this problem and know a fix, please let me know!

Depending on exactly what the problem is, perhaps.

First things first, make sure you are using the supplied version of Textures Unlimited. This has specific features that are not present in the stable public release relating to handling Part Variants.

However it does sound potentially like an issue I am aware of with part variant behaviour. If it is this, there is a workaround, or there used to be. When painting a craft with multiple of the same part that uses part variants as opposed to the Textures Unlimited texture switch module, only one set of parameters can be "live". You will notice that if you place a part and paint it, placing a new piece of the same part will contain the same colour scheme for the same variant. Adjusting either one so they are now different but then launching the craft will result in them both displaying the most recently set scheme. At least I think this is how it worked, it's been a long time since I found this behaviour and worked it out. In any case, reverting back to the hangar and then correcting the variant that had been adjusted to a scheme you want, then launching again would result in both parts having independent schemes.

I also seem to recall that painting, saving, reloading and painting works too. Essentially you need to get the colour scheme data saved in to the part of the craft file before you can adjust another part that has the same variant data.

Again though, long time ago I discovered this and I'm just going from memory. I'll investigate a bit more when I have the time and report if it's anything different from what I've described.

On 3/12/2022 at 1:23 PM, Rafael1023 said:

Will you make BDArmory support?

Gonna be honest, unlikely. I've got my hands full with getting the packs I've already created finished alongside a couple of other projects.

Edited by Manwith Noname

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 11:07 PM, xD-FireStriker said:

So, um... Does this work with ReStock. not like recolour parts from restock + or the changed textures of ReStock but just work allowing you to recolor anything restock doesn't touch? 

yeah, if you install it along side restock it will still let you recolor some plane/wing parts, etc.  That said, the end results tend to look better when you can recolor everything, and aside from a few exceptions I think most of the stock parts with recoloring look as good or better than restock. 

Been encountering an odd issue with the material science bay.

[LOG 13:08:24.302] science.module added to ship - part count: 20
[LOG 13:08:24.419] ERROR: Could not locate TextureSet for MODEL_SHADER from global cache for the input name of: 
[LOG 13:08:24.419] ERROR: Could not locate TextureSet for MODEL_SHADER from global cache for the input name of: 

and this is what it looks like when i try to switch the color

qsgwRd4.pngE8I9pxe.pngW4IA7wS.pngZZ6pANb.png

On 4/20/2022 at 9:17 AM, xD-FireStriker said:

is there a way to install TURD for B9 PWings only? 

Yes. Probably the simplest thing to do is install the stock recolour, copy the Recolour_Texture_Sets.cfg and Colour_Presets.cfg files and move them up one level out of the TU_Stock_Recolour folder. Do the same with the Metal_Texture_Sets.cfg file inside TU_Extras. You can now delete both those folders. Then in the TU_Standardised_Switching folder keep the standardised texture sets config but delete the other two configs.

You basically want to end up with all the Texture Sets config files, the colour presets (though these are not overly critical) and the placeholder textures. The textures need to remain in the folder path they come in or you need to edit all the file paths in the configs to match wherever you put them.

On 4/24/2022 at 6:13 PM, DeliriumTrigger said:

Been encountering an odd issue with the material science bay.

[LOG 13:08:24.302] science.module added to ship - part count: 20

and this is what it looks like when i try to switch the color

Alright, that's a bit weird and I suspect a conflict of some kind. First thing that comes to mind is another TU config set, typically those that apply a metallic look to a bunch of stuff just through text files and not with textures. It used to be the case that the Texture Switch module would simply override MODEL_SHADER configs but maybe something is amiss.

Perhaps the best thing to do is paste the contents of you module manager cache file to somewhere like pastebin and drop a link here and I'll see what I can see with regard to how the part ends up.

On 4/9/2022 at 12:04 AM, ElonsMusk said:

I'm trying to find the config for Procedural Parts (not wings). Am I misremembering it's existence?

Procedural Parts should come with its own set of TU configs but you need a specific fork, like this one.

Edited by Manwith Noname

1 minute ago, Manwith Noname said:

Yes. Probably the simplest thing to do is install the stock recolour, copy the Recolour_Texture_Sets.cfg and Colour_Presets.cfg files and move it up one level out of the TU_Stock_Recolour folder. Do the same with the Metal_Texture_Sets.cfg file inside TU_Extras. You can now delete both those folders. Then in the TU_Standardised_Switching folder keep the standardised texture sets config but delete the other two configs.

You basically want to end up with all the Texture Sets config files, the colour presets though these are not overly critical and the placeholder textures. The textures need to remain in the folder path they come in or you need to edit all the file paths in the configs to match wherever you put them.

Alright, that's a bit weird and I suspect a conflict of some kind. First thing that comes to mind is another TU config set, typically those that apply a metallic look to a bunch of stuff just through text files and not with textures. It used to be the case that the Texture Switch module would simply override MODEL_SHADER configs but maybe something is amiss.

Perhaps the best thing to do is paste the contents of you module manager cache file to somewhere like pastebin and drop a link here and I'll see what I can see with regard to how the part ends up.

Procedural Parts should come with its own set of TU configs but you need a specific fork, like this one.

I like your mod!

A question: how do you open .mu files? I'm trying to make a recolored heatshield mod,, but .mu files are just gibberish!

Honestly with all the other issues I've been having with that particular install, I'm reluctant to send you on a quest to solve a problem that may not even be related to TURD.   IDK what's wrong with this particular combination of mods that I've got, but something is catastrophically broken and it's showing up in all kinds of different ways.    In any case, I found that if I just apply the color settings and launch, the part appears as normal in the flight scene.

@Akagi You don't necessarily need to open the .mu file. You can often just go by what the textures show you in photoshop or GIMP coupled with the mesh export function of TU. If you want to work in 3D, like Blender, you need to get the KSP blender tool plugin.

@DeliriumTrigger I don't mind looking through the module manager cache, even if it's huge (CTRL+F for the win) I am mainly curious to see if we can find anything because even if it cannot be resolved, assuming we find the problem, at least we then know what the problem is.

2 minutes ago, Manwith Noname said:

@Akagi You don't necessarily need to open the .mu file. You can often just go by what the textures show you in photoshop or GIMP coupled with the mesh export function of TU. If you want to work in 3D, like Blender, you need to get the KSP blender tool plugin.

@DeliriumTrigger I don't mind looking through the module manager cache, even if it's huge (CTRL+F for the win) I am mainly curious to see if we can find anything because even if it cannot be resolved, assuming we find the problem, at least we then know what the problem is.

Thanks! My goal is simple:

1. Figure out how to open the heat shield model
  2. Recolor them in 3 variants beside standard: Silver, Black, and Gold

1 minute ago, Manwith Noname said:

Okay, if you're curious you're welcome to it.  If anything else leaps out at you as obviously screwed up let me know, I could use all the help I can get figuring out what's causing all of my problems.

Here you go.

@DeliriumTrigger Putting my money on Depth Mask. I had that in the back of my head in the earlier post as I can recall experiencing issues with it in the past. My recollection was that it broke recolouring though but it kinda fits with what you see.

Edit: Actually the more I think about it, it did what you kinda see. Certain viewing angles of where the depth mask was would make the rest of the part invisible. This was back in 2019 though and I may not have had mesh targets on everything...but this is still broken for some reason.

Edited by Manwith Noname

27 minutes ago, Manwith Noname said:

@DeliriumTrigger Putting my money on Depth Mask. I had that in the back of my head in the earlier post as I can recall experiencing issues with it in the past. My recollection was that it broke recolouring though but it kinda fits with what you see.

Edit: Actually the more I think about it, it did what you kinda see. Certain viewing angles of where the depth mask was would make the rest of the part invisible. This was back in 2019 though and I may not have had mesh targets on everything...but this is still broken for some reason.

you know, thats the one graphics related mod in my list that sticks out to me as one that i haven't combined with others a bunch of times before.  i doubt its the source of all my issues, but considering most of what im dealing with are graphical glitches, it's worth looking into.  thanks!

14 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

I run on 1.12.3, is there a way to make that work?