[1.12.x] Textures Unlimited Recolour Depot

Nice, though, you might want to enable reflections in the games graphics options. They're not a huge impact in performance from my experience but that may be different for you given you stated your GPU wasn't great previously. Things look a bit weird without them, as in, that's why it's getting really dark on the non facing surfaces.

• 2 weeks later...

@Prathtel

There isn't really a specific version for 1.6.1 as the project just continually evolves with improvements and additions. You can use the latest download which is tested with 1.7.3 and the latest version of Textures Unlimited alongside a suitable version of Module Manager. I've just thrown everything I have, including additions and fixes for 1.8 in a 1.6 install, it caused two problems that I noticed:

1) Certain cone parts have no diffuse textures. This was obviously going to happen as in 1.8 they moved things about which I have adjusted for. You shouldn't need to worry about that with the currently available download as it doesn't contain those changes.

2) Module manager complained about 3 exceptions, these all related to the large stack adapters. Not really sure why on first glance, particularly as I don't think anything has changed here since 1.6 and I don't have this issue in 1.7.3 and 1.8.

Now, I'm not saying there are no other issues, just I knew one of these would happen for me and the other was promptly shown by module manager during load. I placed numerous parts in the editor and they all worked, except the large stack adapters. They have variants showing as available but only the stock variants function. I don't really have time to investigate beyond that right now.

As a general update, the new 1.8 parts are all done. Textures Unlimited "works" in 1.8 on Windows (there are some issues, though I have not tested it fully, just using it to check new part work) but I'm not too keen on uploading configs until it is officially updated just to prevent people complaining about things that aren't properly supported.

@Prathtel

I had some time to investigate further and it seems using a different version of module manager fixed that problem. So, most likely, the only issue you'll have is with parts that Squad have "revamped". In particular, the old versions of the parts in this image will probably behave strangely (I know the puff does for sure as I found it during the above test)...

Spoiler

5vwLtaBHFu4HfEs-J7PgYXaEfuW5BHSgoqy3HY8H

So, to summarise, current download of the recolour pack, current version of Textures Unlimited (v1.5.8.23) and Module Manager v4.0.3, seemed to work fine in KSP 1.6, part revamp issues aside.

Edited by Manwith Noname

• 2 weeks later...

@lk00david

Heh, if you're not keen on how it works, why do you want more? :D

The subject of B9 has come up a couple of times and while I suspect it could work, it is likely going to require that the B9 mod itself be rewritten due to it using it's own shaders and recolour system. Given that in the past I had configured some of the original pWings to work with KerbPaint, I took some time to download that and start configuring TU to work with it.

Spoiler

5D70E1AF4F62941171C30393183DCFA86DBC0FEC

There's more to do but it's a start. The curved wing is going to be weird too as I don't think it was ever UV unwrapped, which poses some problems.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 1:50 PM, Manwith Noname said:

@lk00david

Heh, if you're not keen on how it works, why do you want more? :D

The subject of B9 has come up a couple of times and while I suspect it could work, it is likely going to require that the B9 mod itself be rewritten due to it using it's own shaders and recolour system. Given that in the past I had configured some of the original pWings to work with KerbPaint, I took some time to download that and start configuring TU to work with it.

Hide contents

5D70E1AF4F62941171C30393183DCFA86DBC0FEC

There's more to do but it's a start. The curved wing is going to be weird too as I don't think it was ever UV unwrapped, which poses some problems.

Hi, first off - love your work, it has greatly enhanced my KSP experience!  I started messing with an original Pwings recolour after chatting about a youtube video with @beaucoupzero  and came up with something that worked but couldn't get textures to align perfectly with the wings and it looks like you have done an awesome job of that already.  Would you mind sharing how you pull the UV data out of the mods to make your masks?

@bd1323

Firstly, I suspect your problem relates to the texture formats and how they are handled by the game more than anything else. The original texture files in pWings are png and I suspect you probably exported your textures as a form of dds. The game will convert png to dds during load and in doing so it will flip the file vertically. If this is the case (as in you are exporting to dds without any flipping), simply flipping the textures inside the graphics editor you are using before exporting will likely result in everything working as you expect. A lot of the time, the UV isn't really necessary to see from the texture where you want to map out colours. I worked on projects without them for a few years. That's not to say they are not helpful though, in fact, these days when working on these projects the first thing I do after opening the main texture when creating a project in GIMP is import the UV of the various meshes just so they are there. Sometimes, they'll give clues to odd parts of the texture which are being reused by other parts of a model.

Now, how to get UV maps? Textures Unlimited features a UV exporter. Open up the "GeneralConfiguration.cfg" and look at the UV_EXPORT section. Simply changing the false to true will result in all models located within GameData having their UV maps generated as scalable vector graphics files to a folder within the root of your KSP install. You can specify an alternative directory away from your install if you wish. For example, I point mine to a location where I keep all my recolour projects, "E:\Creative\KSP\KerbPaint\exportedUVMaps". When working on a specific texture you can then import these files as layers to your project. If you're working on pre flipped files for exporting to dds, you'll need to flip the UV map to align correctly.

That's basically all there is to it. Some notes:

The game will seem to hang during load while it dumps all the information for the meshes if you have hundreds or thousands of extra parts from mods, this will take quite a while. You'll want to enable the exporter, load the game, close it once you reach the main menu, then disable the exporter. It might be possible to enable TU's debug mode which used to enable an icon in the games toolbar, from here, there used to be a button to export UV maps too. I've not done this for a while though as there were some changes to the general setup of TU that meant my "TU_Debug_Enable.cfg" no longer works. I think you can probably enable debug from within the difficulty options of the game save now though, but I have not done this as I have previously exported all the maps I need for the projects I'm working on prior to this change in TU.

The pWings config has moved on a bit and now looks more like this...

Spoiler

98908DB4580A0B3ECEF3E39D08766183177A6B4A

Technically, I could upload it right now but I've been holding out for TU itself to receive an official update to 1.8 before unleashing more configs. They should however be pretty agnostic to versions of KSP and TU aside from the parts that may or may not exist within the game, within reason.

On 12/13/2019 at 1:19 PM, Manwith Noname said:

@bd1323

Firstly, I suspect your problem relates to the texture formats and how they are handled by the game more than anything else. The original texture files in pWings are png and I suspect you probably exported your textures as a form of dds. The game will convert png to dds during load and in doing so it will flip the file vertically. If this is the case (as in you are exporting to dds without any flipping), simply flipping the textures inside the graphics editor you are using before exporting will likely result in everything working as you expect. A lot of the time, the UV isn't really necessary to see from the texture where you want to map out colours. I worked on projects without them for a few years. That's not to say they are not helpful though, in fact, these days when working on these projects the first thing I do after opening the main texture when creating a project in GIMP is import the UV of the various meshes just so they are there. Sometimes, they'll give clues to odd parts of the texture which are being reused by other parts of a model.

Now, how to get UV maps? Textures Unlimited features a UV exporter. Open up the "GeneralConfiguration.cfg" and look at the UV_EXPORT section. Simply changing the false to true will result in all models located within GameData having their UV maps generated as scalable vector graphics files to a folder within the root of your KSP install. You can specify an alternative directory away from your install if you wish. For example, I point mine to a location where I keep all my recolour projects, "E:\Creative\KSP\KerbPaint\exportedUVMaps". When working on a specific texture you can then import these files as layers to your project. If you're working on pre flipped files for exporting to dds, you'll need to flip the UV map to align correctly.

That's basically all there is to it. Some notes:

The game will seem to hang during load while it dumps all the information for the meshes if you have hundreds or thousands of extra parts from mods, this will take quite a while. You'll want to enable the exporter, load the game, close it once you reach the main menu, then disable the exporter. It might be possible to enable TU's debug mode which used to enable an icon in the games toolbar, from here, there used to be a button to export UV maps too. I've not done this for a while though as there were some changes to the general setup of TU that meant my "TU_Debug_Enable.cfg" no longer works. I think you can probably enable debug from within the difficulty options of the game save now though, but I have not done this as I have previously exported all the maps I need for the projects I'm working on prior to this change in TU.

The pWings config has moved on a bit and now looks more like this...

Hide contents

98908DB4580A0B3ECEF3E39D08766183177A6B4A

Technically, I could upload it right now but I've been holding out for TU itself to receive an official update to 1.8 before unleashing more configs. They should however be pretty agnostic to versions of KSP and TU aside from the parts that may or may not exist within the game, within reason.

are those b9 procedurals? this seems super dope!

On 10/25/2019 at 3:13 AM, Manwith Noname said:

Nice, though, you might want to enable reflections in the games graphics options. They're not a huge impact in performance from my experience but that may be different for you given you stated your GPU wasn't great previously. Things look a bit weird without them, as in, that's why it's getting really dark on the non facing surfaces.

I just saw this. My GPU is a passively cooled radeon R5. Which has 2gb of vram but yeah lol.... It can just about run ksp on an absurdly low resolution.

I think it could handle the reflections though. I also play with at a minimum RSS and FAR which probably doesn't help. If i want stock I play on ps4 :) Which does look a lot better but can't handle big crafts better than this pc.

I only bought this pc last july to play ksp so I can't justify going full crazy on its specs yet. However the ps4 era is coming to its end and I don't plan on getting the ps5. So as the time passes by I'm slowly getting back into pc hardware ;d

Thanks for that tip though! 

In the mean while I might look into getting some mods compatible with TURD. Can I use the original textures to generate the outlines for an RGB scheme? Or is that what I can use uv maps are for? 

Edited by Cruss

6 hours ago, Cruss said:

In the mean while I might look into getting some mods compatible with TURD. Can I use the original textures to generate the outlines for an RGB scheme? Or is that what I can use uv maps are for? 

It's a combination. You don't need the UV maps and can derive colour masks from base diffuse textures but having the UV maps will at times offer additional information. Personally, I would import the UV maps to the project regardless of if you think you need them or not. They're just handy to have regardless and sometimes, they will point to potential issues and help solve them.

9 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

It's a combination. You don't need the UV maps and can derive colour masks from base diffuse textures but having the UV maps will at times offer additional information. Personally, I would import the UV maps to the project regardless of if you think you need them or not. They're just handy to have regardless and sometimes, they will point to potential issues and help solve them.

Awesome thanks!

@mcwaffles2003

Heh, well, it is and it isn't. The current download is compatible with Restock in the sense that it disables certain TURD patches when Restock is present. It should be good for the releases of Restock against 1.7.3. I still need to go through and make the 1.8 configs do the same with the later release of Restock which added even more parts to their catalogue. There's also "bodge it" patches in the thread to remove patches if Ven's Revamp or Stockalike Station parts are installed. What none of them do is apply recolour to those mods, sadly. I did start work on Ven's but didn't get very far before Restock appeared, which kinda dampened motivation for that and I moved on to other projects that were more in my own interests, some of which were started quite a long time ago but got put back due to prioritising updates to the existing configs and general procrastination from time to time.

• 5 weeks later...

Just installed this today, and after some simple fiddling I just have to say how goofy and amazing and nearly-perfect this recoloring config set is. Endlessly entertaining to be able to free-color our stuff like this. Apart for some current dodginess with some restock conflicts on a few parts, this brings far more to the table than I was even expecting. :)

It's stuff like this that makes me dive into KSP with such ridiculous abandon. Thanks @Manwith Noname!

6BEC36E6F7133B966482BB36C33471809CF7E168

@Beetlecat

I appreciate the appreciation. Another pass on making it more compliant with Restock is on the cards, I just need to get round to downloading the latest release and sifting through their blacklist. There's also some improvements coming, I've redone the masking for the landing gear so it makes more sense. As in, tube parts will be one colour, other mechanical / structural parts will be different layers.

• 3 weeks later...

hi. I found some errors on your patches (thanks TweakScale's paranoid on checking parts and logging any weirdness!).

On GameData/TURD/TU_Standardised_Switching/173_Standardised_Switching.cfg , I found:

@PART[adapterLargeSmallBi,adapterLargeSmallQuad,adapterLargeSmallTri]:FOR[000_Standardised_Switching]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited]
{
        @MODULE[ModulePartVariants]
        {
                @VARIANT[Dark]
                {
                        !TEXTURE,*{}
                        EXTRA_INFO
                        {
                                textureSet = Stock_Default_stackAdapters_Dark
                        }
                }
                @VARIANT[White]
                {
                        !TEXTURE,*{}
                        {
                                textureSet = Stock_Default_stackAdapters_White
                        }
                }

Note the missing EXTRA_INFO for the White. This patch should be:

@PART[adapterLargeSmallBi,adapterLargeSmallQuad,adapterLargeSmallTri]:FOR[000_Standardised_Switching]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited]
{
        @MODULE[ModulePartVariants]
        {
                @VARIANT[Dark]
                {
                        !TEXTURE,*{}
                        EXTRA_INFO
                        {
                                textureSet = Stock_Default_stackAdapters_Dark
                        }
                }
                @VARIANT[White]
                {
                        !TEXTURE,*{}
                        EXTRA_INFO			// HERE, a patched patch!
                        {
                                textureSet = Stock_Default_stackAdapters_White
                        }
                }

This just not restored the intended feature, but also prevented problems on third-party Add'Ons that were borking due a node without a name (TweakScale was getting a NRE on this).

Cheers!

On 2/8/2020 at 12:59 PM, garyhoover said:

First of all, this mod is great, but as a fan of editing fairings, fair use of fairings is very important to me. Trouble writers can correct the problem that the texture becomes completely black as soon as possible, thank you! @Manwith Noname

I think I know what you are referring to and from memory of my testing when encountering this, it only affects loaded craft to the VAB / SPH. When building the craft, things functioned normally and a loaded craft would display correctly when launching. At least, I think that was what I found. Stock fairings are a bit of a pain and this isn't the only issue with them. I've been meaning to do a more thorough test on them so I can provide a more useful report in the main Textures Unlimited thread as it's not strictly a problem with the configs and textures but the way the main plugin handles them, unless I missed something in this specific module. Having said all that, last I looked at them was in 1.7.3 so it might well be different in 1.8+ versions of KSP.

Edit: Oh wow. They're really broken and it appears to be linked with another issue that appeared not so long ago.

On 2/11/2020 at 4:11 PM, Lisias said:

hi. I found some errors on your patches (thanks TweakScale's paranoid on checking parts and logging any weirdness!).

*snip*

Good catch. I may have already resolved this in my local files that I never got round to uploading. I certainly recall noticing some weirdness with sticky textures on some variant parts, which I suspect this would show as. Either way, if I didn't pick up on this specific case it will be fixed in the next upload. I'll get my behind in gear and pack up the updates I had done during the 1.8 era for various existing packs. Basically everything except OPT as that hasn't changed, so, stock 1.8 parts and some parts that I either missed or were added to the MK2 and MK3 expansions. Heh, might need to do a check on that some time.

Edited by Manwith Noname

Alright, updates.

Stock recolour is configured for KSP 1.8.x. Should fix the missing EXTRA_INFO header on the coupler variant. MK2 and MK3 Expansions updated to whatever release I grabbed at the time (around Oct / Nov) last year.

Additions:

Procedural Wings - I sort of want to revisit this at some point but it was a quick (and a little uninspired) job to mimic the existing textures and add some specular detailing. The curved surface wing kinda works but the part was never finished it seems as there are no base textures and no UV data within the model from what I can ascertain.

MKIV Spaceplane Systems - This one has been brewing in the lab for well over a year. Well, maybe festering might be a better term. Colour masks were mostly done in 2018, then it sat for nearly a year before finally motivating myself to finish it. I still want to add some layers here and there but for now, it's mostly a two tone affair with smatterings of a third layer on a few parts. Thanks to @Nertea for wondeful 60's puppetry sci fi inspired nostalgia and permission to release.

No pics, no clicks...

Spoiler

13770DCAD8BDC260A2786C658D7FF17F5419A0FB

A6462FDC46D7465E7E41B8B00414F8AACFC7D11B

As always, completely remove any existing packs and dump the new ones in place. Failure to do so will result in bad things happening. If you paint a part that doesn't use all possible colour layers then I advise making the unused layers the same colour as the primary just in case they're added one day.

If anyone notices something they think might be missing, broken or can be improved (there's quite a bit in my mind), don't be shy. I don't play KSP "properly" and haven't for some years. Testing is mostly limited to "does it show in the editors and then in flight". While I make every effort to double check things when I'm setting them up for the first time, there may be changes I miss as time goes by and KSP / mod updates occur, or sometimes I break things unintentionally by rewriting the config (goodbye EXTRA_INFO). It's only really those who use them in anger a playing environment that are likely to catch them and you'll probably be reminding me of things I've long forgotten.

Edit: Forgot to mention. These should be considered releases for KSP 1.8.x.

Edited by Manwith Noname