[1.12.x] Textures Unlimited Recolour Depot

For anyone that downloaded the main stock recolour pack in the past week, the link has been updated which should future proof for forthcoming releases of Textures Unlimited. Still a 1.8.x target as far as parts are concerned but it includes a typo fix I hadn't spotted previously and changes to placeholder textures which the latest Unity version doesn't like.

Well, hopefully. It's late, I'm tired.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't keep a list other than what is in my head, I could reel of a whole load of things I know of that need work. Mainly, this comes down to revising normalisation parameters and finishing off masks and maps. In a simple form, a lot of utility and structural parts. I had also considered putting things on github, mainly from the point of view of enabling pull requests on configs but I'm just so used to managing everything in the way I do, dipping in and out of making improvements and additions as and when I find the time and enthusiasm.

I quite like it here though, in the quiet of the development thread where only keen eyes wander.

Never mind! The problem is about an older version, I will suggest the dude to update!! :P

Spoiler

Hi!

It's me again. I just found a typo on one of the Recolour patches.

I just found this on MM's log:

[WRN 21:59:29.839] trailing : detected
[LOG 21:59:29.840] Deleting root node in file TURD/TU_MK3Expansion_Recolour/141_MK3_Expansion_Recolour node: @PART[M3X_ElevonA,M3X_ElevonB,M3X_ElevonC,M3X_WingSegmentA,M3X_WingSegmentB,M3X_WingSegmentC,M3X_WingSegmentD,M3X_WingSegmentE,M3X_WingSegmentF,M3X_WingSegmentG]:FOR[zzzz_Something_after_P_because_]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited&Mk3Expansion]: as it can't satisfy its NEEDS

The problem is that "trailing : detected". O made a search on the file TURD/TU_MK3Expansion_Recolour/141_MK3_Expansion_Recolour.cfg and on line 84 I found this:

@PART[M3X_ElevonA,M3X_ElevonB,M3X_ElevonC,M3X_WingSegmentA,M3X_WingSegmentB,M3X_WingSegmentC,M3X_WingSegmentD,M3X_WingSegmentE,M3X_WingSegmentF,M3X_WingSegmentG]:FOR[zzzz_Something_after_P_because_]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited&Mk3Expansion]:  // <-- HERE!
{
	@MODULE[KSPTextureSwitch],0
	{
		textureSet = MWNN_Stock_Tint_M3X_ShuttleWings 
	}
}

Deleting that extra ":" fixed the warning.

Cheers!

Edited by Lisias
Move on, nothing to see here... :D

On 2/29/2020 at 12:08 PM, Manwith Noname said:

Mainly, this comes down to revising normalisation parameters

Let me know when you get to this point / if you need any pointers or assistance.  When last I looked at the pack, the recoloring normalization params (and out-of-range color values) looked to be the only 'big' bits needing to be fixed.

@Manwith Noname How do you get those window reflections and get a clean reflection on the wings and parts instead of a blackish, blurry reflection. 

Like this:  (The fuselage and the gear light.) (The other image shows clean reflections and window reflections I cant get on parts and if I do a shiny thing it turns way dark.) KS3P installed and Stuff. Can you walk me through how to really do it? Haven't tested proc wings yet.FCCA2CDB09C16AC868DF3D2D1777F032C713F5697900746F0C66DD5241A6B19F983E6326EC645EB9

Edited by Arco123

3 hours ago, Arco123 said:

@Manwith Noname How do you get those window reflections and get a clean reflection on the wings and parts instead of a blackish, blurry reflection. 

Like this:  (The fuselage and the gear light.) (The other image shows clean reflections and window reflections I cant get on parts and if I do a shiny thing it turns way dark.) KS3P installed and Stuff. Can you walk me through how to really do it? Haven't tested proc wings yet.

Do you mean with the recolour pack or making your own configs and textures? With the pack, it should just be a case of selecting the appropriate texture set and playing with sliders in the GUI.

Spoiler

193F620A2938D4CB3D5CBD73187F54FA07B8CA16

I knocked this up quick and forgot to highlight something (as always) but the RGB highlights cover most of it. This has come up before so it seems mocking up some sort of visual aid might be useful.

When everything is installed correctly, a new slider appears in the part menu, by default, it will be set in the "Squad" configuration (Red), which should allow people to choose the standard stock shaders if they wanted to. Clicking the arrows either side of the slider or in the slider itself will switch over to a different configuration. For this instance, I've selected the recolour set (Green). This will make the glass reflective amongst other things where the colour masks do not allow user control. Now, the bit I forgot. When a recolour set is detected by the Textures Unlimited plugin, a new button appears at the bottom of the part menu, "Open Recolouring GUI". Clicking this will open the menu on the right of the image. The Specular slider (Blue) is essentially the control for "reflection".

If this is not functioning correctly for you, could you provide a screenshot from in game that might allow me to see what you see. As we covered in the main thread, not having reflections enabled is likely to cause some weirdness in the behaviour, in fact, I might just go and test that on my end to see what occurs.

Edit: Oh...and of course...something else! Stock parts with heavy "Variant" integration don't have this slider, recolour texture sets will appear in the stock variant switcher...which at one point I was going to set everything up to use for consistency but...uch...I hate it. Once the bar fills up with so many sets it gives no indication as to how many more exist (they just disappear of the end of the bar) amongst other things.

Another edit: Alright, yeah, I suspect based on your description this is related to reflections being enabled / disabled...

Spoiler

EEA04B4CFDA3050657FFABD64A5E1CC544335C03

This is the same scene only in the top half I disabled the reflections. With no reflection data available to use a part setup for reflections has nothing to display, essentially. In the game options, this is named "Reflection Refresh Mode" and as mentioned previously, anything except off should work.

Edited by Manwith Noname

@Arco123 Yeah, see my "Another edit" in the post above. I'm convinced you just need to adjust the "Reflection Refresh Mode".

Edit: Although, saying that...even with them disabled, I think you should get reflections in the editors. Maybe something else is up.

Edited by Manwith Noname

@Arco123

Alright, I've just tried something and managed to reproduce this. It's a conflict between TU and KS3P. Strangely, I had previously tested this combination in KSP 1.8 and it was mostly working. Need a bit more investigation...or wait (patiently) for @Shadowmage's currently named TUFX.

Edit: Any future readers, see below, I was a doughnut.

Edited by Manwith Noname

Just now, Manwith Noname said:

@Arco123

Alright, I've just tried something and managed to reproduce this. It's a conflict between TU and KS3P. Strangely, I had previously tested this combination in KSP 1.8 and it was mostly working. Need a bit more investigation...or wait (patiently) for @Shadowmage's currently named TUFX.

KS3P is out of my gamedata though? How can it do this? 

KSP: 1.8.1 (Win64) - Unity: 2019.2.2f1 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
ClickThroughBlocker - 0.1.9.5
ToolbarControl - 0.1.9.4
Astronomer's Visual Pack - 4.0
B9 Animation Modules - 1.6
B9 Part Switch - 2.13
CameraTools - 1.13
Community Category Kit - 5.0
Community Resource Pack - 1.3
CommunityTechTree - 3.4
Community Terrain Texture Pack - 1.0.4
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.20
AdvancedTextures - 1.8.1
DestructionEffects - 1.11
DistantObjectEnhancement - 2.0
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.4.0.3
Environmental Visual Enhancements - 1.8.0.2
FShangarExtender - 3.6
HyperEdit - 1.5.8
RasterPropMonitor - 0.31.3
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.7.1
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.5
KerbalKonstructs - 1.8.1.15
Kerbin Side Remastered - 1.0.1
Kopernicus - 1.8.1.1
KSC Extended - 2.2
KSC Harbor - 1.1.1
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.4.1.3
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.6
OuterPlanetsMod - 2.2.6
PatchManager - 0.0.17.1
PlanetShine - 0.2.6.3
Procedural Wings - 0.12.2
ReentryParticleEffect - 1.4
TextureReplacer - 4.1
TimeControl - 2.9.7
ToadicusToolsContinued - 0.22.4.3
TweakScale Beta - 2.5.0.9
VesselMover - 1.8
WASDEditorCameraContinued - 0.7.0.1 

Mod list!

6 minutes ago, Arco123 said:

KS3P is out of my gamedata though? How can it do this? 

Do stock parts that have reflections appear black?  Check (and post screenshots of) one of the stock 'shiny' parts in the same scenes and lighting as the tests you posted above, please; like the stock hex probe, or one of the other stock shiny/reflective parts.  I've seen another mention of this issue somewhere, but never got much investigation done on it.

Basically we need to check if the reflections are totally broken on your system (which would point to a stock/Unity problem, out of our control), or if it something specific to the TU shaders (something that might be fixed).

@Arco123

Alright, just to get everybody on the same page, can you make a completely clean install of KSP. Keep your current install as it is just create a new install with no mods, then only add this release of Textures Unlimited...

https://github.com/shadowmage45/TexturesUnlimited/releases/tag/1.5.10.25

You should be fine using KSP 1.8 (I did test that release there briefly) and you can just copy over the TURD folder. Also don't forget a suitable Module Manager, whatever is in your current install should be fine but to some extent grabbing everything fresh from their download links is probably the best thing to do. Essentially, let's start with something clean and simple, then go from there. This setup "should" work.

Just now, Manwith Noname said:

1.8.1 should be fine I've got both a 1.8 and a 1.9 install with just the latest TexturesUnlimited release and the stock recolour, plus module manager. You don't need the source folder, only the 000_TexturesUnlimited folder.

It will take a while. I'm putting it in now. Turd, module manager, and TU. Let's see what happens?