[1.12.x] Textures Unlimited Recolour Depot

1 hour ago, Arco123 said:

Okay, here you go. I don't know why this is happening...

0DUE-Ew3RD2zLWU88LmqpWZ1bgNFuZlZjfS1s79Kj_p_uYUY-NlN-UbO2o0kZ2_s76JchbL1HRAjg_S5OzCc7Ul_4pPNHYPKItFGgFG8ERmdDGRSzbZF4SorzGyNEEHjTMdAHabzZEo2H6b9DauhlwoyRgN_n_ot-Pz6Bwsrt30byw0NCJF6Kuu6Y9ubVPivImbLwmsusnoiLzAfIbpQXC_a55Pntx0wdiLhoOHb8tVuzFprLaKZ3xcpQ2lo22SF3wVJmX2smMWnKReN

A picture tells a thousand words here.  Thank you very much for posting those images.  Those parts should be reflecting the shiny blue sky and/or the green grass and buildings of the KSC depending on camera angle.

Your issue very strongly appears to be with the stock reflection system, given the stock parts don't have reflections either; could be hardware related, driver related, or could be settings/configuration related.

If the tests with minimal mods don't work (as @Manwith Noname is guiding you through), I would suggest un-installing all mods / testing the above parts on a clean and fully stock KSP installation.  If the problem exists on a clean stock installation, please seek assistance in the stock KSP support threads.  If the issue does not exist on the clean installation, add mods in one at a time or in small batches, testing after each batch, until the problem shows back up; whatever you most recently added is likely the cause of the problem (and information that you could report here, as that might be useful/something we can act on).

9 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

A picture tells a thousand words here.  Thank you very much for posting those images.  Those parts should be reflecting the shiny blue sky and/or the green grass and buildings of the KSC depending on camera angle.

Your issue very strongly appears to be with the stock reflection system, given the stock parts don't have reflections either; could be hardware related, driver related, or could be settings/configuration related.

If the tests with minimal mods don't work (as @Manwith Noname is guiding you through), I would suggest un-installing all mods / testing the above parts on a clean and fully stock KSP installation.  If the problem exists on a clean stock installation, please seek assistance in the stock KSP support threads.  If the issue does not exist on the clean installation, add mods in one at a time or in small batches, testing after each batch, until the problem shows back up; whatever you most recently added is likely the cause of the problem (and information that you could report here, as that might be useful/something we can act on).

Do I use texture replacer? Also, I have to get off so results will up tomorrow. Can't save my other install since if I use the launcher it borks everything. (Ie: Parts that are different sizes and parts. A commu 16 could be sized up to thud and be called a thud. Fun times.) Edit: Texture replacer for realtime reflections. 

Edited by Arco123

Just now, Manwith Noname said:

Hehe....NOOOOOOO! :D

A clean install of KSP, Module Manager, Textures Unlimited and the TURD configs. Also don't forget to set the reflection mode to anything other than off.

Okay, hold up! :cool: Was texture replacer replaced realtime reflections borking it up? (I have no clue)

3 minutes ago, Arco123 said:

Was texture replacer replaced realtime reflections borking it up? (I have no clue)

Yes, absolutely, that will bork the stock reflection system (which is what TU uses, and thus TURD).

Remove texture replacer, or disable its realtime reflection stuff.

Just now, Shadowmage said:

Yes, absolutely, that will bork the stock reflection system (which is what TU uses, and thus TURD).

Remove texture replacer, or disable its realtime reflection stuff.

Okay, hmm. I'll have to test it without texture replacer, with it but realtime off, and then with TR install and realtime on. Anything else would you like me to try? I gave you my mod list so try to see if anything could bork it. 

Edited by Arco123

Just now, Manwith Noname said:

@Arco123

This is what I'm trying to find out. If a clean KSP and just the required mods works, then we can start narrowing down potential mod conflicts. If it doesn't work, then we need to start looking at why that is. It's just a process of elimination.

Also, is it okay if I put a list of non-compatible mods and how to install it without borking it. (Most people will know that but people will be coming here sometimes to see why it didn't work.  

@Arco123

Sure, anything you find out will be helpful. I've just been trying to break things my end to no avail, threw in KS3P, Planetshine, Texture Replacer with WindowShine. Actually, WindowShine broke things but not in the way we're trying to find, quite the opposite in fact.

I'm off to bed. :confused:

10 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

Texture Replacer

Texture Replacer works fine I believe.  It is 'Texture Replacer Replaced' that breaks stock reflections.

Personally don't know why anyone is still using either of those mods, but w/e.  (Yes, TU can do Kerbal suit textures; or could before stock added suit texture switching; untested since then...).

I think you are on the right track on the investigation -- eliminate ALL possible conflicts, start with ONLY the required mods (ModuleManager, TU, TURD configs), and test with that simplified setup.  I'll bet the problem disappears with that setup...

Just now, Shadowmage said:

Texture Replacer works fine I believe.  It is 'Texture Replacer Replaced' that breaks stock reflections.

Personally don't know why anyone is still using either of those mods, but w/e.  (Yes, TU can do Kerbal suit textures; or could before stock added suit texture switching; untested since then...).

I think you are on the right track on the investigation -- eliminate ALL possible conflicts, start with ONLY the required mods (ModuleManager, TU, TURD configs), and test with that simplified setup.  I'll bet the problem disappears with that setup...

I do want to keep my skybox and the suits. Let me test if just the thing being there breaks the game. 

29 minutes ago, Arco123 said:

I do want to keep my skybox and the suits. Let me test if just the thing being there breaks the game. 

Which is fine, but to find where the problem is, you will have to get rid of it, at least momentarily.  That is the whole point of this -- not to have you permanently remove mods, but to temporarily remove them so that we can also remove them from being a possible conflict.

It works, Now I'm putting in texture replacer to see what happens. 

Yeah, crack on and let us know what you find with your particular mod set. Part of me does suspect that you may find it all works after chucking everything back in and the issue was primarily down to some update you may have missed. Specifically, the most recent version of TU does address a similar problem with fairings you brought up later (them being totally black). It may of course break again when a particular mod or config goes back in but at least when that happens, it narrows down the search field for clues as to how it might be fixed.

I might have a bit of time later to try and reproduce things if you manage to break it again but I'm out helping a mate with his house move. Trying to solve the mysteries of the previous owners DIY "improvements".

Just a small bit. It seems like starting TURD and TU, MM first and then adding texture replacer later fixes it. Realtime reflections do not affect TURD's reflection and now only affect the helmets. The only issue I came into is when I first started flight with reflection settings set to the max. The pod was all black. I changed it back down and back up and that fixed it. (Before I installed Texture Replacer.) 

I'm going in packs of 3 from top to bottom in my list with a notepad on what was put in and 4 screenshots per each pack. Two in editor and two in flight with a test pod Craft with 3 pods from going stock, shiny, and then Bob Ross. The only question I have is can you please take photos of two MK1 cockpits with one "Shiny" and the other with "Bob Ross" of the windows. One screenshot in editor and one in flight.

(It seems like the Shiny window is different than the Bob Ross window. The Shiny one being less reflective. Bob Ross being more reflective and detailed. The Spectacular setting in the Recolor GUI seems to not affect the detail or reflective amount of the window when changing every section of a part. [The settings do not change the window detail/reflect stuff.]) <- I do not know if that is a issue.

Summary: Settings do not change reflective properties of a window in any way. Maybe not a issue. Realtime reflections seem to not affect TU and TURD at all now after putting them in first. Shiny setting for windows is less shiny than "Bob Ross". 

This is a small part of the report. More on the way!

[The settings do not change the window detail/reflect stuff.]) <- I do not know if that is a issue.

Probably not an issue; most windows have been excluded from recoloring, and use whatever values are provided by the stock textures (or any possible replacement specular textures that were provided).

The only way to know would be to look at the mask texture, compare that to the diffuse/specular textures to find where the windows are, and see what the color of the mask is in those portions....

4 hours ago, Arco123 said:

Summary: Settings do not change reflective properties of a window in any way. Maybe not a issue. Realtime reflections seem to not affect TU and TURD at all now after putting them in first. Shiny setting for windows is less shiny than "Bob Ross". 

Ok, this has kinda been covered above but I'll explain more specifically in relation to these packs.

The colour mask dictates where user control can occur, where the colour mask is black, the resulting look for the part is taken from the "metallicglossmap". Every part (well mostly) has it's own texture for this (in varying states of completion). So, for the MK1 cockpits, I have a greyscale texture which is specifically defining how reflective and how metallic an area of a part is where recolouring can not be applied. The "shiny" set uses a plain white texture placeholder and then has metal and smoothness values defined in the configs to reduce them to a percentage of "1". The placeholders exist so that every set can have a texture slot defined for a number of reasons.

Essentially, yes, this is normal. If you want to change this, go in to the "Extras" folder and open the metallic texturesets config. You'll see the values mentioned and you can change them to how you see fit. The metallic set is intended for people who want to make a config set with dedicated metallicgloss textures, or even replacement MainTex, BumpMap... if someone wanted to go that far. Its purpose is to ease creation of more options, plus, it was the "thing" everyone became familiar with when TexturesUnlimited appeared. Without that config, people tend to ask "where is the shiny set?".

While my main motivation was bringing over and upgrading my old KerbPaint masks to function in TU, what I also want is the option to use other sets that I was hoping someone else would jump on. It was enough work converting and tidying up the KerbPaint masks (because the format was slightly different) and once Stock came up to a certain standard and usability, inevitably I look at all the other mods I would want to play with and think "They need a lick of paint too".

I'll get the screenshot you asked for and edit it to the end of this post shortly.

Edit: Oooh, for giggles, have some "hot" stuff...

Spoiler

83DC8C705A04DD14636B022E94D3156A74A050C6

Though it's kinda hard to see the glass reflections there.

Another edit: The screenshot you were looking for...

Spoiler

A0EC48FAA179BADEDFB0E4F696957AFD7F60A394

Edited by Manwith Noname

Yep, Everything works now. I'll make a tutorial on this mod as well. Show what everything is and stuff. This mod is very cool. I just wanted to make sure that is normal. Thanks! 

(On a side note: Where do you want to put the tutorial?)

@Arco123

Is it a video or a write up? Is this something you do regularly or a one off? By all means, you can post it here and I can link to it in the OP if it's something that will be more generally useful. Like wise, if you have a thread or place you post guides and tutorials, you can stick it there and provide a link.

1 minute ago, Manwith Noname said:

@Arco123

Is it a video or a write up? Is this something you do regularly or a one off? By all means, you can post it here and I can link to it in the OP if it's something that will be more generally useful. Like wise, if you have a thread or place you post guides and tutorials, you can stick it there and provide a link.

Maybe a one off. It's gonna be a write up with screenshots to show what everything is. I'll post it in these topic when I get the time to do it. (I'm writing on my Chrome book and my real computer i the only one that can do stuff.)