[1.12.x] Textures Unlimited Recolour Depot

@G10wer Find the following files and delete them...

XXX_Standardised_Switching.cfg

XXX_Standardised_Recolour.cfg

Where XXX is a three digit number. That should prevent any patching of stock parts but keep the textureset definitions intact which are then modified in other packs. You can also delete all the folders inside "TU_Stock_Recolour".

On 5/27/2019 at 9:36 PM, Manwith Noname said:

Where XXX is a three digit number. That should prevent any patching of stock parts but keep the textureset definitions intact which are then modified in other packs. You can also delete all the folders inside "TU_Stock_Recolour".

If you're still working on this, you might consider a broader NEEDS[!ReStock] for some of the patches to make your life simpler.

• 3 weeks later...

@Electrocutor

That would in some ways be useful but it also comes with undesired effects too in that, the textures would likely all still be loaded without using restocks blacklist. Really, the best course of action would be to make any packs entirely independent, which could be done easily enough. It was initially done this way as I figured anyone using a pack for a mod would likely be using it for stock parts anyway and it "saved" a couple of texturesets sitting in memory.

As far as the project going forward, I still tinker on it. It's always in the back of my mind but due to a number of reasons I struggle to find the time and enthusiasm to make any serious headway. From certain stock textures being...not particularly pleasant to work with to other strangeness that has crept in to TU itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea of what could be wrong here?

I have no experience with this mod, but moving the sliders in the right window has no effect, nor does moving the "appearance" slider in the booster tooltip.

z_Aq.png

z_TR.png

[Edit] Oh wait, the answer might be at the beginning of this page. I'll investigate.

[Edit 2] Deleting TU_Stocl_Recolour did not fix the issue. However, it seems the issue is restricted to the shiny appearances. For example if I take one that seems to have correct colours in the part selector, and change the appearance to the "It's all shiny!" setting, it turns black:

z_Au.png

z_AS.png

Edited by Korb Biakustra

On 5/28/2019 at 4:36 AM, Manwith Noname said:

Removing those two files fixed the black parts, but then I suppose none of my stock parts are affected by TURD. So I suppose Restock and TURD are conflicting for stock parts? My knowledge of either mods is close to zero, so it is hard to choose which one will be my priority.

[Edit] Restoring the two .cfg files and removing Restock did solve part of the issue, but there are still some glitches I think. I do see visual changes when moving the colour sliders, but nothing that looks like the screenshots or videos, especially for metallic parts. They look more dull, and not so shiny (though there is some shiny effect). Chrome is almost dark grey too, and steel or similar presets are even darker.

[Edit 2] Seems to work very well with SSTU parts though, so it is safe to exclude any driver issues (I'm playing on Linux): 

z_ab.png

Edited by Korb Biakustra

RfVZXQU.pngqVzSSkb.png

Got the same issues as Korb Biakustra. Air brakes and gears are a bit weired too :wink: 

Works fine with SSTU though.

On 7/2/2019 at 9:12 PM, Korb Biakustra said:

I seem to have fixed it, I had problems with TextureReplacer and SSTU.

Did you fix it, so you can have Restock installed?

Edited by Mr.DingALing

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2019 at 12:07 PM, Manwith Noname said:

@Electrocutor

That would in some ways be useful but it also comes with undesired effects too in that, the textures would likely all still be loaded without using restocks blacklist. Really, the best course of action would be to make any packs entirely independent, which could be done easily enough. It was initially done this way as I figured anyone using a pack for a mod would likely be using it for stock parts anyway and it "saved" a couple of texturesets sitting in memory.

As far as the project going forward, I still tinker on it. It's always in the back of my mind but due to a number of reasons I struggle to find the time and enthusiasm to make any serious headway. From certain stock textures being...not particularly pleasant to work with to other strangeness that has crept in to TU itself.

is there a config to exclude restock? Just need that alone and everything would be fine

So it looks like the stock recolor dl from the first post is a bit old... It predates the retexturing of many parts, notably 1.25m and 2.5m fuel tanks and since the texture paths have changed it breaks said parts...

Does anyone has an updated config for 1.7 ?

This makes my planes using mk2 expansion absolutely gorgeous, I have a question though, how feasible would it be to implement this for the b9 procedural wings? They're really the only other parts I'm using and look so bland compared to the rest of the plane 

11 hours ago, lBoBl said:

So it looks like the stock recolor dl from the first post is a bit old... It predates the retexturing of many parts, notably 1.25m and 2.5m fuel tanks and since the texture paths have changed it breaks said parts...

Does anyone has an updated config for 1.7 ?

I've changed the link to a more up to date version. I can't recall exactly what state it is in but it was pulled straight from my game folder a few weeks back.

8 hours ago, pingopete said:

This makes my planes using mk2 expansion absolutely gorgeous, I have a question though, how feasible would it be to implement this for the b9 procedural wings? They're really the only other parts I'm using and look so bland compared to the rest of the plane 

I'm kinda surprised the MK2 pack still functions as I know there has been a number of changes there, new parts and such. As far as B9 proc wings, could it be done, probably. It has its own recolour system from memory so there's a bit of a conflict in that area but I imagine it would be possible to use that recolour system and apply TU metallic shaders over the top.

On 8/19/2019 at 5:49 PM, The-Doctor said:

is there a config to exclude restock? Just need that alone and everything would be fine

The "new" download should hopefully remedy most of the issues with things like restock and ven's.

@pingopete

Since I can see you read the post I'll add this rather than edit what I should have realised earlier. Not long up, needed more coffee clearly.

Getting B9 Proc Wings to play nice with TU will probably take a bit of work as it will be using custom shaders for the recolouring it includes. If there is a way to disable that, then you could possibly replace it entirely with TU shaders. I imagine it probably needs a rewrite of the B9 dll.

1 hour ago, Manwith Noname said:

@pingopete

Since I can see you read the post I'll add this rather than edit what I should have realised earlier. Not long up, needed more coffee clearly.

Getting B9 Proc Wings to play nice with TU will probably take a bit of work as it will be using custom shaders for the recolouring it includes. If there is a way to disable that, then you could possibly replace it entirely with TU shaders. I imagine it probably needs a rewrite of the B9 dll.

If it's relatively simple config stuff I could probably do that, but anything inside dlls is a no go for me unfortunately. Not sure what the best method would be here though, as you say there's already a texture selection option for b9, maybe a patch config as part of textures unlimited or this mod I guess 

Edited by pingopete

5 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

I've changed the link to a more up to date version. I can't recall exactly what state it is in but it was pulled straight from my game folder a few weeks back.

Thanks ! It looks like it works a lot better, the 1.25m tanks work fine, the 2.5m one have got their textures back but I still can't make them shiny, the Appearence slider has no visible effect.
Other than that, I don't see a Recolour GUI button on any part, is that a bug or am I supposed to install an extra mod like SSTU to get it ?

1 hour ago, pingopete said:

If it's relatively simple config stuff I could probably do that, but anything inside dlls is a no go for me unfortunately. Not sure what the best method would be here though, as you say there's already a texture selection option for b9, maybe a patch config as part of textures unlimited or this mod I guess 

I guess you could try to use B9 Proc default recoloring, by setting up hue and opacity in the GUI, and just apply a metallic shader to the part with a .cfg patch for Module Manager. I guess there's a 50/50 chance for it to work. There are instructions here on how to write your patch https://github.com/shadowmage45/TexturesUnlimited/wiki/Config-Documentation

Edited by lBoBl

2 hours ago, pingopete said:

I had a look on the github for B9 Pwings and how the configs for them are setup. Essentially, a procedural wings module is added to the part, which is all controlled in the dll. So, the only way I can see to alter the behaviour is to compile a dll with the bits of code relating to the recolour shader removed. I could be wrong on that but at first glance I'm not seeing another way.

47 minutes ago, lBoBl said:

Thanks ! It looks like it works a lot better, the 1.25m tanks work fine, the 2.5m one have got their textures back but I still can't make them shiny, the Appearence slider has no visible effect.
Other than that, I don't see a Recolour GUI button on any part, is that a bug or am I supposed to install an extra mod like SSTU to get it ?

Do you have restock or ven's installed? It will not affect parts they alter. Well, it might if they just retexture an existing stock part but I don't think either pack simply does that but instead alters models, which in turn will have different mesh names. That's how I've prevented interference when they are installed. The configs target specific meshes in stock parts. If anyone makes a new model and happens to name a mesh within it the same as stock, it'll still get applied but will nerly always look odd or be broken in some way.

47 minutes ago, lBoBl said:

I guess you could try to use B9 Proc default recoloring, by setting up hue and opacity in the GUI, and just apply a metallic shader to the part with a .cfg patch for Module Manager. I guess there's a 50/50 chance for it to work. There are instructions here on how to write your patch https://github.com/shadowmage45/TexturesUnlimited/wiki/Config-Documentation

I don't think this will work because both TU and B9 Proc wings recolour work by custom shaders. You can't apply multiple shaders to the same mesh but you can apply multiple shaders within the same model to different meshes.

Edited by Manwith Noname

On 8/24/2019 at 1:28 PM, lBoBl said:

Oh...I just had a look at this and Squad slipped in some changes to these parts. I'll see what can be done.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:14 AM, Manwith Noname said:

The configs target specific meshes in stock parts. If anyone makes a new model and happens to name a mesh within it the same as stock, it'll still get applied but will nearly always look odd or be broken in some way.

I think this might explain the problem I'm seeing. Restock adds new variants to many stock parts, without changing meshes. Before this latest release, I had managed to get recolor working with restock by scrubbing the conflicting parts out of the configs, but after I replaced the files with the new version (that supposedly fixes things), I have new problems. Now some parts are not working with recolor OR the recolor variants. I doubt I've found all of them yet, but at the least, the mk1 command pod and 1.25m fuel tanks are a bit borked. The color variants of the pod don't show up at the bottom and seem to be in the slider bar where you used to switch from 'squad' to 'bob ross', only now there is also 'it's all shiny' and multiple options for the stock and shiny types. But I see no changes on the model. It looks like there are multiple textures clipping over each other on the pod. The recolor menu has no effect on the model either. 

screencaps

edit: I was able to restore the restock parts by scrubbing the configs again, and also deleting the 'variant removal' config. Figure I will still post this because I want this mod to improve and I feel like there's an easier way to fix this. I'd love the option to add colorable parts as variants or additional 'clone' parts with whitelists so restock allows them to load.

On 8/28/2019 at 4:44 PM, WallHaxx said:

edit: I was able to restore the restock parts by scrubbing the configs again, and also deleting the 'variant removal' config. Figure I will still post this because I want this mod to improve and I feel like there's an easier way to fix this. I'd love the option to add colorable parts as variants or additional 'clone' parts with whitelists so restock allows them to load.

Did you just paste the new download over the old? I should perhaps make it clear in the OP but you'll need to delete the existing install before placing new files. Believe me, I would like nothing more than every single part in KSP being configured for TU, it's a huge undertaking though and in some cases licensing is an issue. I've been struggling to bring myself to do it but I have a plan in the back of my head to move over to the stock variant system for switching. I've done it with the Rockomax tanks (not uploaded yet) because they use the system. I dislike the idea of having some switching with stock and some switching with TU so I think going forward I'll convert everything to variants, there's just some issues with doing that. Also, when I get time I'll download restock and have a proper look at how to avoid problems.

16 hours ago, pingopete said:

Here's the F35 I was referring to in an earlier discussion about adding these textures to the B9 procedural wings...

Heh, awesome. Reminds me of this...

24 minutes ago, Manwith Noname said:

Did you just paste the new download over the old?

Hmmm... I may have. Not sure. But I am in the process of rebuilding my modlist on a fresh install, so we'll soon find out if that changes things. I've been having a major graphical bug involving black skies, non-rotating skyboxes, transparent Kerbin, missing map screen, and even locked camera controls. I removed all my graphical mods and still had the problem but it is gone in the fresh install without mods, so hopefully I just had some old conflicting files.

Still testing. I'm trying out CKAN this time around. Will update with my results.

Update, I did have some config duplicates, but after removing them I still don't have any recolor functionality. The Z fighting is gone though. And the (restock) stock variants don't work either. Same problem as before. The slider shows no changes on the model for squad/shiny/bob ross. I reverted back to the scrubbed configs/deleted variant removal to regain functionality.

@WallHaxx

Just to be clear, this will not enable recolouring on Restock parts. I have altered a few things to help prevent any confusion on that end. Until I upload the next update you will want to delete the variant removal cfg to make Restock variants function correctly on affected parts.

I'm aware of a number of issues in the current download that have come about due to changes by Squad I had not found until this past week but they're being worked on...

1F6DE295DAB4A6CC2647D3D54A54E9C95CBA532B