Purist or not? Do you use DLC parts in your creations?

lodger

Yesterday, I did find the time to eventually try out the new parts that came with the DLC and I must say that really like the new soyuz russian style pods. Best thing is that there's now a 2 crew pod available (through DLC). So I am curious - do you use the new DLC parts along with stock in your latest creations or do you go for stock-only parts, even with DLC installed?

Edited by lodger

12 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I would consider the DLC to be stock.

Why would you buy the DLC and not use the parts?

IMHO stock is what everybody gets by buying the game. The DLC is a paid add-on. An "official" add-on, but yet, something added to the game after being drafted from the shelf.

1 hour ago, lodger said:

Yesterday, I did find the time to eventually try out the new parts that came with the DLC and I must say that really like the new soyuz style pods. Best thing is that there's now a 2 crew pod available (through DLC). So I am curious - do you use the new DLC parts along with stock in your latest creations or do you go for stock-only parts, even with DLC installed?

A) I'm not sure I would use "purist" that way...why is someone who uses officially released content playing any less pure of a game? If that's the case then wouldn't a "purist" be someone who's still playing 0.23 (or whatever the first public release was?)

B) There isn't a Soyuz style pod in MH. It's a Vostok inspired pod. Below on the left is Soyuz. On the right is Vostok...

Image result for soyuz descent moduleImage result for vostok pod

Edited by Tyko

32 minutes ago, Tyko said:

A) I'm not sure I would use "purist" that way...why is someone who uses officially released content playing any less pure of a game? If that's the case then wouldn't a "purist" be someone who's still playing 0.23 (or whatever the first public release was?)

B) There isn't a Soyuz style pod in MH. It's a Vostok inspired pod. Below on the left is Soyuz. On the right is Vostok...

regarding A) in that case, replace "purist" with "stock"

regarding B) Yup, you're right. Should've used "russian style pods" 

The expansion is still "stock", since it was released by Squad, and I consider it such. However, the Wolfhound is not now, and never will be stock to me unless its performance is lowered to somewhere in the "normal" range. If I wanted a modded engine, I'd install a mod.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying the Cheetah. And all the 1.875m parts really. I think they were a great addition to the game. The Mk2 Command Pod was much needed as well, and I've been using it quite a bit (though I'm not too fond of the color). I was left a bit disappointed that there's no good landing engine for that size to mimic the Terrier/Poodle. I generally have radial tanks and engines anyway, but It's something I'd like to see in the future.

As for the giant Stayputnik-looking Vostok pods; not really sure yet. I can see them as cool escape pods for space stations, but I haven't used them too much yet, though I did send one to Eve in my "Top Secret Mission to Gilly" in the Missions forum of the Making History section. Mostly just to see if it could "survive the dive". It did.

On 4/23/2018 at 7:33 AM, lodger said:

regarding A) in that case, replace "purist" with "stock"

regarding B) Yup, you're right. Should've used "russian style pods" 

That's fair :)  I guess I'm a little hurt because the DLC is called Making History yet they didn't include an analog to the most frequently launched crew capsule in history. Vostok carried humans 6 times. Mercury also launched 6 manned missions. Apollo did 11 15 (thanks @fourfa!). Soyuz variants have flown over 200 manned missions (I didn't realize until I actually counted them...wow)

Edited by Tyko

4 minutes ago, Tyko said:

That's fair :)  I guess I'm a little hurt because the DLC is called Making History yet they didn't include an analog to the most frequently launched crew capsule in history. Vostok carried humans 6 times. Mercury also launched 6 manned missions. Apollo did 11. Soyuz variants have flown over 200 manned missions (I didn't realize until I actually counted them...wow)

Yeah, same with me. I thought "Making History" would contain "kerbal style" counterparts to Soyuz, Gemini etc. and was a little disappointed by the final product.

Am I mistaken but are all 3 new Russian style pods (1, 2, 3 man) the same size just different weight? I just DL'ed and only looked at the for a few seconds.

I like the mk-2 command pod. I have a comm-net setup and use the command modules but still like sending pilots on rescue and taxi missions.

Edited by CrashyMcCrashFace
Spelling as usual.

5 minutes ago, CrashyMcCrashFace said:

Am I mistaken but are all 3 new Russian style pods (1, 2, 3 man) the same size just different weight? I just DL'ed and only looked at the for a few seconds.

That’s what I’ve seen, a little bit more mass for each Kerbal and a slightly different paint job.

I play a modded game, but have not yet played with any mods that add parts to the game with the exception of Astroid Day, which now has become stock.
My main reason for not installing part mods is because I still enjoy the stock parts provided in the game giving me enough challenge to play. So I'm holding off part and game changing mods like USI for when the day comes I'm getting bored with pure stock.

I do however love the additional parts that came with MH, the engine plates are great to work with, the structural tubes are great mainly because you can dump 'stuff' in them to make clean looking rockets, the structural plates are sweet and the new airlock also provides very unique ways of playing. I like the way airlocks can serve as escape pods, but I also like to use them as interplanetary 'cryogenic' crew transport chambers, they are so light its almost cheating, when using a command chair it adds weight of both kerbals and chair, but with the airlock you just have 0.1 ton per kerbal total, which effectively makes it the lightest crewable part. A 64 kerbal colonization interplanetary transport is in the making, still have to make my mind up to where to send it. :) 

As for the terminology for 'stock', I think KSP with official expansions or DLC's could be considered 'stock', and playing without any expansions or DLC should be considered 'Vanilla'. 

Edited by LoSBoL

I haven't played around with the DLC that much to be honest, since i usually play Realism Overhaul.

I still have to get used to the new parts, they look cool and all, but i haven't yet found them coming in handy in any of my missions. Im more of a near-future spaceflight guy.

1 minute ago, LoSBoL said:

:D still in very early stage of designing, could take some time. Not even made my mind up, but I think I'm going for the one on the right.

1k0.jpg

Might be a few more than enough airlocks...

7 hours ago, Tyko said:

That's fair :)  I guess I'm a little hurt because the DLC is called Making History yet they didn't include an analog to the most frequently launched crew capsule in history. Vostok carried humans 6 times. Mercury also launched 6 manned missions. Apollo did 11. Soyuz variants have flown over 200 manned missions (I didn't realize until I actually counted them...wow)

It was 17 missions, not 11 apollo missions. I know this because I am a space nerd, I also looked it up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.