How to do anything on water?

So I have, at the time of this posting, recently considered a circumnavigation challenge, but have hit the problem that there is NO 100% land route, meaning that I have to go through what I consider to be the evilest part of planets: water. I have lost countless planes and even a handful of rockets to the depths of kerbin's seas. I was considering making some form of amphibious rover, though the question of how it will be powered in water is very difficult. Any watery propulsion or landing/floating advice would be appreciated. (keep in mind that I only use a navball texture mod, absolutely NO part mods will be taken here, as its not my style).

Is there really no 100% land routes on Kerbin? I could have sworn there was at least one somewhere. I don't know, last time I checked that was YEARS ago.

Anyway, I believe that air intakes float really well, so you could possibly use that to keep you afloat on the water. As far as propulsion goes, anything that isn't submerged should do just fine.

If you're ok with flying, you could just find a route that has the least amount of water to cross, and "hop" over those bits while driving the rest.

I've never circumnavigated Kerbin, or really even had the desire to, so I don't know if these suggestions are acceptable or not.

An MK2 jet makes a great boat. Just make sure your "boat" rides with the nose up a bit. The water has quite a lot of drag, so you need more engines than usual.

So take a traditional plane and take the wings off.

1 hour ago, ARS said:

No 100% land route means there's 100% water route

Err ... NO!

Kerbin_heightmap.jpg

The Kerbin landmass stretches from north- all the way to south-pole cutting off any aquatic circumnavigation.

Edited by Tex_NL

16 hours ago, Lego_Prodigy said:

So I have, at the time of this posting, recently considered a circumnavigation challenge, but have hit the problem that there is NO 100% land route, meaning that I have to go through what I consider to be the evilest part of planets: water. I have lost countless planes and even a handful of rockets to the depths of kerbin's seas. I was considering making some form of amphibious rover, though the question of how it will be powered in water is very difficult. Any watery propulsion or landing/floating advice would be appreciated. (keep in mind that I only use a navball texture mod, absolutely NO part mods will be taken here, as its not my style).

There's a flaw in KSP. Any stock engine will create thrust in water...

In my early boat designs, I used this flaw and simply put aircraft landing gear on the bottom of my boats. retract the gear when your craft is deep enough to float, extend the gear and hit full throttle when you're trying to get on land.

It worked for me.

7 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Err ... NO!

Kerbin_heightmap.jpg

The Kerbin landmass stretches from north- all the way to south-pole cutting off any aquatic circumnavigation.

Dang. Well, whatever. I designed it to be able to move on land anyways :)

Thanks for the info

6 hours ago, ARS said:

Get both on water and underwater?

No 100% land route means there's 100% water route

UoG8I7e.png

SZyW4Bi.png

Craft File. Pronto.

=P Jk I would like to politely ask for the file that indicates how to construct that craft using some file sharing service to provide a way to acquire it over the inter-webs. 

56 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Craft File. Pronto.

=P Jk I would like to politely ask for the file that indicates how to construct that craft using some file sharing service to provide a way to acquire it over the inter-webs. 

There's at least one Making History DLC part that I see on that craft. Got MH?

6 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

There's a flaw in KSP. Any stock engine will create thrust in water...

Not a flaw. That's how you're supposed to do it.

Kerbals are smarter than us in some ways.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.