[WIP] The Ultimate Shuttle IVA - Releasing Soon!(tm)

G'th

i6z5cIG.png

THE ULTIMATE SHUTTLE IVA

What is the Ultimate Shuttle IVA? Well I'd hope that'd be self evident by way of its name.  Essentially the idea is to combine the best bits and pieces of the best Shuttle IVA's made to date while at the same time maintaining some semblance to the real cockpit layout of the Space Shuttle. Indeed, if you're familiar with the Shuttle's cockpit, and in particular the cockpit before it was upgraded to the all Digital glass cockpit, you'll find that most functions are right where you expect them. 
So what do I mean by all the best bits and pieces? Well, thats easy:
1. Having all of the required flight instruments available to the player to enable the craft to be flown from launch to recovery 100% in IVA. 
2. Having a functioning Docking and Manipulator arm section in the rear of the IVA, enabling visual docking in IVA as well as IVA use of any kind of manipulator arm you may have. 
3. More than 4 places for kerbals. Currently, we can fly 6.
As of right now, the IVA uses a mix of MAS and RPM props, and if this is to be released anytime soon, that is likely still to be the case. Now, this has been done with careful consideration, given the state of RPM in 1.4.2. No RPM props that are currently bugged (namely just its own MFD's. MAS MFD's function perfectly) will be included while RPM is being used.  Eventually, particularly as I work towards my BDB IVA's (yes, they're still being worked on), these RPM props will be phased out as they are converted. 
v1.0 has been released! Check here.
And here's where I thank the people that made this possible.
@MOARdV For MAS, RPM, and many of the button layouts in this cockpit, which were inspired by his work on his testbed MRK IVA. I did end up making my own panels, even though they're basically the same thing lol.
@alexustas For all these lovely, lovely props
@robertlong13 For the APEX IVA model I built this on top of. His model removes much of the silly stuff thats baked into the stock MK3 IVA and made it much easier to put this IVA together. I in turn removed some other stuff and enabled a few more functions.
@taniwha  For, despite an interesting warming up period, helping me through all the silly bugs I had with the model specific stuff, among other things.
And, my testers! For helping me narrow down the small stuff I would've missed otherwise: @neistridlar @Radar @michal.don @hellblazer @IceTitan @debaker02 @Sufficient Anonymity @Elon Kerman Jr
Edited by G'th

10 hours ago, Sufficient Anonymity said:

This looks brilliant - really looking forward to release. Will there be switches and stuff above the windows too?

Indeed, though they may not do much. 

And the response to this has been rather unexpected tbh. Cause i personally dont like parts of it :D

Here's some progress shots everybody.

nh7Oxvg.png

nh7Oxvg.png

Also, here soon I'm going to be in need of testers! What I'm going to need feedback wise from those interested would be as follows. 

1. Functionality - I need feedback on how well the IVA functions not only under the hood (re, all buttons work and do what they should) but are also conductive to being used in actual gameplay. This is especially important of the ASET Avionics present in this IVA, which are functional to my understanding. So those who know these tools and how to use them would be much appreciated to help make sure they're set up properly (I'm pretty sure they are, but even so)

2. Looks - Lots of placement errors due to previous issues. I'm finding and fixing most of them as I go, but I'd need help narrowing down anything else, no matter how small. This will also include general looks. If something looks off and we can figure out a way to make it not look off, lets figure it out!

3. Finalizing the layout. Additions, substractions, and relocations. If we can find a better place for something without distorting the homage to the real cockpit too much, lets do it.

And that'd be it.  Shoot me a message if you're interested and I'll get back to you with the details. 

yazm92erq0v01.png

Made lots of progress today. This is the docking and manipulator arm section. Quite unfinished, but unfortunately hitting a roadblock due to a MAS bug preventing the MAS props from animating properly while in this switched camera view. Currently awaiting some feedback on that issue from MoarDV to squash it so development can continue.

At this point, once this final roadblock is passed, all thats really left is to decorate the mid-deck (which now have their own camera views so you can see whats down there) and then finish the greebling allover the IVA to enhance looks across the board.

Once this is done, we'll be ready for 1.0. Mr. Glass, the modern version of this IVA, will follow shortly after, or be released at the same time. Depends on how eager I am to release this once its done xD. 

16 hours ago, Freshmeat said:

I think the interest stems in the fact that a high quality IVA for the MK3 is sorely missed. I look very much forward to see the glass cockpit.

Indeed, and its really why I opted to work on this, as I've been playing with my own Shuttle and had some pretty dull/out of date IVA's to work with. 

I'd be happy to test. I've been playing with some mods for my own self to replicate the ISS missions and the Shuttle mods out there have dull IVA's. Although one out there is functional, it's dull so I'd be happy to test for sure. 

Started working on actual CRT Displays for the IVA.

9qG4hHF.png

Currently need to work through some stuff with them ( as can be noted by the initialization error) but just from this its very clear they're going to be VERY nice once up and running. 

jj7hj7a8s7w01.png

Retro CRT Displays are coming together fairly rapidly now. Excuse the modern MFD there. added in for testing purposes while I configure the CRT's.

23 hours ago, Elon Kerman Jr said:

@G'thIf you still need testing I can help like this looks super good and I love the docking thing also what mods did you use for the shuttle and Canada arm.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mod for the shuttle looks like Cormorant Aeronology (or Shuttle Lifting Body). It's a great mod for a realistic yet stockalike shuttle.

As for the Canadarm, sorry I have no idea.

@G'th How many dependencies does this have? I really want this but I don't want to have to install 15 mods for it.

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

How many dependencies does this have? I really want this but I don't want to have to install 15 mods for it.

At the moment there are: 4-5 small mods

On 5/5/2018 at 1:12 PM, Elon Kerman Jr said:

what mods did you use for the shuttle and Canada arm.

The shuttle is comorant aeronology with shuttle payload technologies, the canadarm I have no idea either.

10 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mod for the shuttle looks like Cormorant Aeronology (or Shuttle Lifting Body). It's a great mod for a realistic yet stockalike shuttle.

As for the Canadarm, sorry I have no idea.

@G'th How many dependencies does this have? I really want this but I don't want to have to install 15 mods for it.

Well the Shuttle I keep playing with could be any number of things. But IceTitan has the right of it for most of it. B9 wings too.

But for my actual IVA, these are the current dependencies:

Latest version of MAS
Latest Version of RPM (will be dropped post 1.0 as MAS overtakes it)
ASET Props
ASET Avionics
(Potentially) NF Props.

And really these are standard dependencies for any good looking IVA right now, and will be for any IVA I make. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.