Rack Mount Spcecraft Parts [Dev thread]

cineboxandrew

• 3 weeks later...

There is now a pre-pre-pre-alpha release on github here: https://github.com/drewcassidy/KSP-Rack-Mount

It includes five rack units (probe, SAS, battery, Computer (nonfunctional) and life support (nonfunctional)), as well as the full and halfhight satellite chassis, some small RCS for maneuvering, and the new MarCO antenna for deep space communication 

MarCO1.png

which is based on the X-band antenna on the MarCO probes currently flying to Mars alongside Insight

marco_xband_antenna.jpg?w=264&h=190&zoom

On 5/28/2018 at 6:20 PM, cineboxandrew said:

I havnt updated here recently, but have been working on finishing up the first set of four rack units as well as the cases to mount them in. The current cases are cubesat-inspired and come in 4U and 2U with optional doors 4U.png

Nice.  Are those plugs going to be compatible with SEP's plugs?

6 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

SEP plugs are several times bigger ;)

Wouldn't be possible for cineboxandrew to make a smaller version of the SEP plug that could be connected to the normal SEP plug? Than it's just a case of adding a module that serves as a Central Station, maybe a double sized one?

I mean, SEP ere surface experiments and this mod is intended for satellites (I think). But there's nothing stoping some one to use the rack and some modules on a surface. It would be cool and variety and options are always good IMO :D 

8 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

Wouldn't be possible for cineboxandrew to make a smaller version of the SEP plug that could be connected to the normal SEP plug? Than it's just a case of adding a module that serves as a Central Station, maybe a double sized one?

I mean, SEP ere surface experiments and this mod is intended for satellites (I think). But there's nothing stoping some one to use the rack and some modules on a surface. It would be cool and variety and options are always good IMO :D 

I'm considering making a SEP base station rack unit with a couple of the ports on them. One SEP port is the same width as the height of a single rack unit (.125m), so they really wouldn't fit in the decorative ports on the PMU there. While designing them I explicitly wanted to make sure that users wouldn't get confused by the similarity, and thats actually an earlier version of the design. 

Edited by cineboxandrew

6 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

Yeah, to be clear on how significant the scale issue is, I'm pretty sure the cable that forms between SEP plugs is wider than those plugs :)

3 minutes ago, cineboxandrew said:

I'm considering making a SEP base station rack unit with a couple of the ports on them. One SEP port is the same width as the height of a single rack unit (.125m), so they really wouldn't fit in the decorative ports on the PMU there. While designing them I explicitly wanted to make sure that users wouldn't get confused but he similarity, and thats actually an earlier version of the design. 

Yeah, might want to switch to the BS 13623 (British) standard instead of the NEMA 15-class standard type plugs you've got.  ;)

Just now, DStaal said:

Yeah, might want to switch to the BS 13623 (British) standard instead of the NEMA 15-class standard type plugs you've got.  ;)

trust me I spent a long time workshopping what connectors to use. anything else wasn't immediately recognizable as an electrical connector

36 minutes ago, cineboxandrew said:

trust me I spent a long time workshopping what connectors to use. anything else wasn't immediately recognizable as an electrical connector

Fair enough.  Just wanted to mention it as an option if you hadn't thought of it.

On 6/9/2018 at 11:43 PM, cineboxandrew said:

There will be a 1.25m cylindrical rack container, if thats what you mean 

Exactly what I meant. Of course I'm having .cfg for teakscale in mind, but i that is too much too ask the cylindrical container alone would be a great too.

Keep up the good work. :cool:

• 5 weeks later...

This is awesome! I've been looking for a cubesat mod for a long time:)

But IMHO there should be a command core with integrated SAS otherwise there's not much can be done with a 2U cubesat (or racksat?:D)

Also are there any planned part list? Looking foward to future updates!

• 3 weeks later...

Logging into the forum for the first time in ages to comment on how excited I am to see this mod and I look forward to seeing its further development, keep up the good work. It looks awesome!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 6:05 PM, cineboxandrew said:

There is now a pre-pre-pre-alpha release on github here: https://github.com/drewcassidy/KSP-Rack-Mount

It includes five rack units (probe, SAS, battery, Computer (nonfunctional) and life support (nonfunctional)), as well as the full and halfhight satellite chassis, some small RCS for maneuvering, and the new MarCO antenna for deep space communication 

MarCO1.png

which is based on the X-band antenna on the MarCO probes currently flying to Mars alongside Insight

marco_xband_antenna.jpg?w=264&h=190&zoom

Should have called it the Pol-0, rather than P0L0. :P

Other than that, that's really cool!

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.