Rocket Poster (NOW TAKING REQUESTS)

EDIT: I've started doing these posters on request; just leave what you want on the last page! Donations optional.

-----------

One of my kids is turning 4 in a couple of weeks, and they love rockets and watch every SpaceX launch (and landing) with me.

We just moved to a new house and their room is pretty bare, so I was thinking about ordering a big poster for a birthday present showing a bunch of different launch vehicles. Something like this:

new-glenn-large2.jpg

or this:

9m_BFR_vs_12m_ITS_vs_NG_vs_SLS.png

However, if I go overboard, I could literally just list every launch vehicle in existence. Which would get silly.

Any suggestions on a theme or selection criteria? Should I pick "current or planned" vehicles? Should I include anything past SLS Block 1? Should I have Russian or Chinese LVs? What about the Shuttle or Energia-Buran? Former LVs?

Figured the forum would enjoy weighing in.

Edited by sevenperforce

One possible way is to make your own and have it printed on metal at Costco.16x24 is $64. My friend did some Jupiter close up images that look like abstract art, and they are stunning. 24x36 is only $120---way less than a frame costs, and these are good to go with no frame.

If you did them yourself, you could make some groupings... manned vs unmanned, etc.

Edited by tater

I think historical/currently rockets would be a good idea. It would sort of suck to look at rockets from the 'future' later on in life, that never went in service.

Another thing you could do is have a poster of rockets you grew up with, and then your son/daughter, will know the rockets you grew up with. Hey, maybe your son/daughter could pass it on as some sort of tradition, who knows?

Oh, almost forgot, i wish your son/daughter a happy birthday!

Edited by NSEP

wut ?

I presume get a "role model" of every launcher. Ie. no need for a separate Titan II and Titan III and Titan IV.

Example list I'd pull off my head :

Titan IV

Falcon 9

Atlas V

Atlas 2

Delta IV

Delta II

Shuttle

Saturn V

Ariane V

Ariane IV

H-IIB

Soyuz-2

Electron

Antares or Minotaur

GSLV

I'm probably missing a lot of Chinese and Japanese launchers, but most of those have rather small statures so you could bunch it up.

22 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I was almost the first to post, but I decided it wasn't all too great of an idea...

Put what you want on the poster. Many things can be done.

4 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

I was almost the first to post, but I decided it wasn't all too great of an idea...

Put what you want on the poster. Many things can be done.

So I'm thinking of three categories:

• Historical Rockets
    • Saturn V
    • N-1
    • R-7
    • Mercury-Atlas
    • Gemini-Titan
    • Delta II
    • STS
    • Energia
    • Black Arrow
    • Falcon 1
  • Current Rockets
    • Electron
    • Falcon 9 + Dragon
    • Falcon Heavy
    • Delta IV
    • Delta IV Heavy
    • Atlas V 551
    • Soyuz-FG
    • Ariane 5
    • Long March 3B
    • PSLV
    • GSLV Mk3
    • Proton-K
    • Vega
  • Future Rockets
    • New Glenn
    • SLS Block 1
    • BFR
    • Vulcan

For each rocket, I'll have the name, the notional LEO payload, and the space program it belongs to. I'll also have a helmet icon above manned or man-rated vehicles. I have a 5yo as well who reads well enough to make use of this.

Any rockets I missed that you think I really should add? Or any that are so similar to others that I should take them out?

Also, any thoughts on organization within each set?

Depending on the kid, consider https://xkcd.com/1720/

unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a poster in the store, although Kinko's could presumably supply if you don't have access to an engineering printer - (think twice before printing the black poster somewhere you have to answer to ink consumption).

When looking up the various xkcd posters, I also found : https://xkcd.com/482/

(not sure how tall the kid is expected to get, nor how a 4-year old is supposed to deal with logarithmic charts).

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Well, now you've got me curious, if I had time I'd try doing every single one plus a few extras, but unfortunately I"m rather short on spare time;

Here is another example pulled from Google about how big these can get:

-picsnip-

Huh. BFR is new on there from the last time I saw that.

17 minutes ago, Tullius said:

If you look at the picture a bit more closely, you see that the Falcons and ITS were added later on.

Oh, I knew the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy were added later. Those were added... three? four? years ago... But BFR is within the last year or so.

3 hours ago, YNM said:

wut ?

I presume get a "role model" of every launcher. Ie. no need for a separate Titan II and Titan III and Titan IV.

Example list I'd pull off my head :

Titan IV

Falcon 9

Atlas V

Atlas 2

Delta IV

Delta II

Shuttle

Saturn V

Ariane V

Ariane IV

H-IIB

Soyuz-2

Electron

Antares or Minotaur

GSLV

Problem is that Rockets even from the same family sometimes look very different, so in some cases it definitely makes sense to include them. Ariane for example. And sometimes even a single launch Vehicle can vary strongly in looks depending on the configuration. Atlas V 401 and 551 for example.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.