Kerbal Space Program 1.4.3 and Making History 1.2 is live!

UomoCapra

Why do you have to have the expansion to be able to choose which sites you want to launch from? Shouldn't that just be in the base game?

My least favourite part of the new update is definitely waiting for mods to update. I run such a modded install that Vanilla is alien to me. :P

EDIT: Just read the notes, thank god the difficulty settings scroll bug is fixed. :D

Edited by ValynEritai

14 hours ago, fwdixon said:

What's wrong with your joystick?

13 hours ago, silverfox101 said:

What problem you having with your joystick

#17984. Joysticks don't work at all on GNU/Linux with the current Unity build, unless they pretend to be xbox controllers (and then only partially), because Unity decided to implement only the incomplete gamecontroller API.
As far as actually fixing this goes, all I can really gather from the bug report so far is that Squad thinks Unity's failure to properly use the published APIs is somehow up to the "open source community" to fix. :confused:
I'm still waiting for a useful official comment on the situation...

didn't you say you used a Linux Distro

I'm running Gentoo. I also have a Debian box I can reproduce it on. I can also verify that joysticks work perfectly with everything except Unity 2017 on both machines.

Is the problem KSP related or Linux related?

The problem is stupidity related.
Then again, since Squad decided to base KSP 1.4.x on a Unity release with (known-to-be for ~1 year)broken USB-HID support on Linux, I guess that makes it KSP related.

Edited by steve_v

1 hour ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Why do you have to have the expansion to be able to choose which sites you want to launch from? Shouldn't that just be in the base game?

Maybe because the additional launch site is part of the expansion? Kinda hard to launch from a site that isn't in the base game.

Or is that your real complaint? That it wasn't added to the base game instead?

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Maybe because the additional launch site is part of the expansion? Kinda hard to launch from a site that isn't in the base game.

Or is that your real complaint? That it wasn't added to the base game instead?

i definitely read it as the latter

6 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

You can say that about pretty much anything in any DLC.  They want people to buy it.  I probably will eventually even if just out of curiosity, right now I'm catching up on the 1.4.x stuff.  I do wish they wouldn't put parts like the new engine plate in the dlc such things really do belong in the base game as it's going to cause problems with sharing models.

5 hours ago, Dafni said:

@steve_v I can relate to your sentiment.

How likely would you guesstimate a fix in the next patch? Personally I dont hold high hopes anymore.

Well, since the issue is identified as a deficiency in the version of Unity that is currently used, I'd say it's not getting fixed until Unity fixes it AND Squad updates KSP to a version of Unity that has it fixed.

I'd guess it would be over a year at least before KSP switches Unity versions again, if it even happens again before development winds down. I wouldn't be surprised if it never gets fixed at all, honestly. Unfortunately the subset of joystick users of the subset of Linux users is probably small enough that the priority of such a fix is pretty limited in a limited resource environment. Since playing the game without a joystick is completely possible, as long as the game works okay on Linux I suspect Squad won't (maybe even can't due to inexperience) work on a fix outside of implementing a new version of Unity (if that ever happens again).

It's not like Take-Two seems to be throwing resources at KSP. Who knows what they're doing with regards to KSP (besides adding third-party tracking software).

4 hours ago, kBob said:

such things really do belong in the base game as it's going to cause problems with sharing models.

No more than it already does with sharing craft that use parts from mods. Which the community has adapted to just fine.

14 minutes ago, JAFO said:

No more than it already does with sharing craft that use parts from mods. Which the community has adapted to just fine.

@kBob @JAFO  I specifically limit my craft development to stock parts only to avoid the craft sharing issues...  

So if by "the community has adapted just fine" you mean "don't bother to share or download modded craft" then yes, I would tend to agree.

Edited by XLjedi

17 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

So if by "the community has adapted just fine" you mean "don't bother to share or download modded craft" then yes, I would tend to agree.

From which I take it you've never bothered checking out KerbalX? Where almost 12,000 craft (almost half of all craft stored/shared there) are modded? :rolleyes:

Edited by JAFO

3 minutes ago, HeronRocketry said:

Hey, guys. Does anyone know how to access Desert Launchsite and Airfield? I have the expansion but they aren't showing up.

The "Launch" button in the upper right of the screen when you're in the VAB or the SPH should spawn a menu.  That menu contains the new "Dessert" launch site and airfield.

If you're not seeing that, make sure you have the updated expansion.

32 minutes ago, JAFO said:

From which I take it you've never bothered checking out KerbalX? Where almost 12,000 craft (almost half of all craft stored/shared there) are modded? :rolleyes:

I've managed to stumble upon it a time or two...  folks I've come in contact with have specifically thanked me for "being stock". 

So I have not created or shared any modded craft designs in the year or so that I've posted stuff there.    Although, there might be a select few part mods that I may dabble with in the future for rotor and prop craft.  ...which do seem will never be a thing in stock.

Edited by XLjedi

26 minutes ago, HeronRocketry said:

Hey, guys. Does anyone know how to access Desert Launchsite and Airfield? I have the expansion but they aren't showing up.

22 minutes ago, Nikolai said:

The "Launch" button in the upper right of the screen when you're in the VAB or the SPH should spawn a menu.  That menu contains the new "Dessert" launch site and airfield.

If you're not seeing that, make sure you have the updated expansion.

If you can't see them in current saves, press escape and go to the difficulty settings, you can activate the other lauchsites from there.

49 minutes ago, HeronRocketry said:

You might have to try starting a new save game and make sure all the appropriate checkboxes are checked... 

Although I haven't tried activiating them in my old saves as @LoSBoL suggests.

4 hours ago, JAFO said:

Sorry, but mods are not the base game.  Mods can and do disappear and are not supported by Squad.  Big difference.

19 hours ago, Hangdog said:

Getting a lot of texture flash around KSC and on the skins of aircraft. 

Yeah same here. Thought it was Scatterer and SVE, but nope. Really horrendous on larger vessels. Not sure if it happens on other atmospheric worlds but definitely on kerbin.  

Edited by Mark Kerbin

15 minutes ago, Lego_Prodigy said:

:/ still no link for mac users of direct download for the new patch?

is it not on the KSP store? my understanding is that's where everybody non-steam downloads stuff from. I got the game on steam though so all I can do is extrapolate the link posted by a dev earlier and replace win64 with osx -> https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/lib/highwindsDwn.php?version=osx-patch-14X-143 but that's just me fusking, idk if that link will actually work.

2 hours ago, Lego_Prodigy said:

:/ still no link for mac users of direct download for the new patch?

Ok, so I don't see a link for the patch, but the link for the full install seems to work. Can you use that and then copy your saves over? 

4 hours ago, kBob said:

Sorry, but mods are not the base game.  Mods can and do disappear and are not supported by Squad.  Big difference.

You're right..  the DLC parts won't disappear and will be supported by Squad. Which makes the situation even better than for modded craft, when it comes to sharing craft files. So since the community already manages just fine with sharing modded craft, it will have no problems taking DLC-based craft on board as well.

Edited by JAFO