Kerbal Space Program 1.4.3 and Making History 1.2 is live!

UomoCapra

10 hours ago, Mako said:

[About Joystick on Linux]

I'd guess it would be over a year at least before KSP switches Unity versions again, if it even happens again before development winds down. I wouldn't be surprised if it never gets fixed at all, honestly. Unfortunately the subset of joystick users of the subset of Linux users is probably small enough that the priority of such a fix is pretty limited in a limited resource environment. Since playing the game without a joystick is completely possible, as long as the game works okay on Linux I suspect Squad won't (maybe even can't due to inexperience) work on a fix outside of implementing a new version of Unity (if that ever happens again).

Well, at least now we know, and then something can be done about.

It's Linux, probably the most supported S.O. in History, with lots and lots of tools to tinker on. One thing that comes to my mind is a Mono plugin opening a NamedPipe to receive joystick data from a external process - KRPC style, but not using the TCP Stack (Unix Sockets are twice the fast and half the cpu effort when compared with a TCP socket to localhost).

Of course it's somewhat cumbersome to the end user, but once a prototype is working, we can think on something to make things transparent.

44 minutes ago, Lego_Prodigy said:

That link doesn't work

Just pointing out the obvious, (because sometimes things aren't obvious to everyone).  Make sure you login to the store before trying that link. 

Edited by AVaughan

14 hours ago, Mako said:

I suspect Squad won't (maybe even can't due to inexperience) work on a fix outside of implementing a new version of Unity (if that ever happens again).

I suspect both of those things. I expect it will go in the "Unity problem, won't fix" pile.

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

once a prototype is working

You mean this prototype? What really yanks my chain on this one is that not only is it fixable, it's already been done in a mod. All that is needed is for Squad to implement part of that help-yourself MIT source code and make it official.
That is assuming Unity hasn't completely loused up direct access to SDL2 APIs of course, but I don't see why they would.

Edited by steve_v

37 minutes ago, steve_v said:

What really yanks my chain on this one is that not only is it fixable, it's already been done in a mod. All that is needed is for Squad to implement part of that help-yourself MIT source code and make it official.
That is assuming Unity hasn't completely loused up direct access to SDL2 APIs of course, but I don't see why they would.

I realize that you're very interested in getting a fix to this problem, but bypassing Unity to directly access a platform-specific API to implement support for a device? You want SQUAD to do this? Are you feeling OK? ;)

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

You mean this prototype? What really yanks my chain on this one is that not only is it fixable, it's already been done in a mod. All that is needed is for Squad to implement part of that help-yourself MIT source code and make it official.

Unity's ways strange are. #yodaFeelings

Believe me - in the past 2 days I'm experiencing some very weird and unexplainable issues. A plugin, written in Mono, was the trigger for a SIGABORT inside Unity. What the plugin was doing? Nothing, in a clean install it worked flawlessly, but in another installment, a fatal software trap was being issued. Yet more weird, once I removed the plugin, the Signal was not issued anymore... On startup. It started to be issued on KSP shutdown. Yeah, goes figure it out - I couldn't. (I'm using MacOS, by the way - your mileage may vary).

Don't expect reason and/or sanity when handling Unity.

Edited by Lisias

52 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

platform-specific API

SDL2 is not platform-specific.

55 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

You want SQUAD to do this?

Fixes a problem with their game, does it not?

16 hours ago, Mako said:

It's not like Take-Two seems to be throwing resources at KSP. Who knows what they're doing with regards to KSP (besides adding third-party tracking software).

Do we have a thread or more info on this tracking software? Is it known yet what it does exactly, and when?

Is there any way to get rid of the new particle system effects? Don't care for it at all, like when a craft re-enters and explodes into these wonky looking circular particles. I can do without that effect, it kind of ruins it for me.

Edited by MikeO89

On 5/2/2018 at 3:36 AM, steve_v said:

And perhaps creates another one, worst and not necessarily a technical one.

In a way or another, the best approach appears to prototype the thing "ourselves".

One thing that can be of use is some kind of bounty perhaps? We are already creating content for the game, so why not?

Edited by Lisias
better choose of words

8 hours ago, Dafni said:

Do we have a thread or more info on this tracking software? Is it known yet what it does exactly, and when?

8 hours ago, steve_v said:

Standard Unity analytics, nothing more. Fire up wireshark and see for yourself.
Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Also Redshell customer tracking, which according to Redshell's website is to allow devs/publishers to track effectiveness of advertising and sales of software.

It's all fairly innocuous stuff, but it is customer tracking and it didn't show up until Take-Two's new EULA. I don't think it's some conspiracy or anything like that. All I'm saying is that apart from an external QA team which obviously wasn't given much time to work on 1.4 and Making History before release, tracking software has been Take-Two's only other known notable contribution to KSP.

After the 1.4.2 update, I had to take an unscheduled vacation from the game. I'm happy to report that 1.4.3 seems to have resolved all the issues I was having and I am once again enjoying my love affair with KSP. Nice work team! you got a great game here

On 4/26/2018 at 8:32 PM, UomoCapra said:

=================================== v1.4.3 ============================================================

* Add Dessert Runway and Launch Site (available in any game mode with Making History (Installed).

Dessert or Desert?

5Sw4Ghl.pngl1bYQqJ.png

Edited by klesh

3 hours ago, klesh said:

Dessert or Desert?

5Sw4Ghl.pngl1bYQqJ.png

Interesting question...if you're talking about a dry, sandy place it would be Desert. Kerbals tend to have a compulsion to want to think of everything as a snack, so Dessert might be more appropriate

21 hours ago, Tyko said:

Interesting question...if you're talking about a dry, sandy place it would be Desert. Kerbals tend to have a compulsion to want to think of everything as a snack, so Dessert might be more appropriate

the "Dessert" launch facility is (as pointed out in a recent video by Scott Manley) at just the right latitude for a once-daily due-east launch to put you on a perfect relative inclination with Minmus... the dessert moon

On 5/2/2018 at 3:36 AM, steve_v said:

Nope. It fixes a problem on TTI's game. :-)

Squad is not the one calling the shots anymore... :-(

From my point of view, you are right on expecting Squad to solve this. But we need to give them a reason to do that - there's a lot of things that should be done, and this backlog was priorized by the man with the guns, I mean, money.

The best argument one can have with this situation is "you are going to loose more money on the long run than you think you will earn in the short". However, this must be plausible in a way or another.

Since I don't know how much Linux users are complaining, compared to the projected goal of that guy, I can't say what would be be best approach. But one that can works is "if we don't fix this, they will. And once they fix this, people start to rely on them , not on us - and this erodes our value as a service provider".

Edited by Lisias
(sigh)

The "dessert airfield" is (intentionally or not) the first new official piece of lore / backstory added to KSP in a long time. I think the original developers wanted to write a bare minimum, and let players start filling in the blanks their own way.  We have the names of the planets, the rocket part companies, quirky humor in parts descriptions, some Kerbal attitudes and opinions in the science experiment results - and not much else.

41 minutes ago, basic.syntax said:

The "dessert airfield" is (intentionally or not) the first new official piece of lore / backstory added to KSP in a long time.

Woomerang was added about a month ago?

6 hours ago, wookiee_goldberg said:

the "Dessert" launch facility is (as pointed out in a recent video by Scott Manley) at just the right latitude for a once-daily due-east launch to put you on a perfect relative inclination with Minmus... the dessert moon

Now that's interesting and good to know.. thanks!