Kerbal Space Program 1.4.3 and Making History 1.2 is live!

UomoCapra

53 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

@linuxgurugamer maintains a mod (one of his hundreds!) called AnyRes Continued that lets you change game res on the fly with no ill effects. It's listed as 1.3.1-compatible but I was using it in 1.4 - 1.4.2 without any problems.

Sorry I misread the post.. That is a different problem. The one that is the Unity bug is related to switching between windowed and full screen. sorry. As for the actual problem there.. has it been reported on the bug tracker?

16 minutes ago, Zosma Procyon said:

My ground bases are all partially INSIDE the bodies they're set on, and end up flung into the air and crash back down. I'm going to restore 1.4.2 from my backup. Please announce when this problem is fixed.

Providing as little information as you currently have.. there is not a lot that can be done here.
Please follow the instructions for reporting bugs here:
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83213-stock-support-bug-reporting-guide/
Specifically a few basic questions first: do you have mods installed? is your save purely stock? - if you have mods installed - there's not a lot that can be done.
If it is stock, if you could raise a bug report, attach the save in question and some brief details on how to reproduce the problem. Then it has a chance of being investigated.

4 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Sorry I misread the post.. That is a different problem. The one that is the Unity bug is related to switching between windowed and full screen. sorry. As for the actual problem there.. has it been reported on the bug tracker?

I don't know, I haven't looked. 

In my case (and this started with 1.4.1 I believe) the game will occasionally launch in full native display resolution (4K for me) and I'll have to reset the settings back to my preferred 1920x1080. Most of the time that setting "sticks" but once in awhile after launching the game normally, sometime later the game will start changing to max resolution on every scene change. When that happens - usually after several hours of gameplay -  quitting the game and launching it again fixes it. 

I haven't yet tried 1.4.3 at all - I'm hoping some of my favorite mods get quick fixes this weekend. If the bug recurs, I'll post a bug report or if one exists, I'll add logs to it.

4 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Providing as little information as you currently have.. there is not a lot that can be done here.
Please follow the instructions for reporting bugs here:
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83213-stock-support-bug-reporting-guide/
Specifically a few basic questions first: do you have mods installed? is your save purely stock? - if you have mods installed - there's not a lot that can be done.
If it is stock, if you could raise a bug report, attach the save in question and some brief details on how to reproduce the problem. Then it has a chance of being investigated.

Whatever patch of 1.4.3 was available for download about 10 minutes before I posted. Mac OS 10.13.4.

Two mods: MechJeb and KerbalAlarm. Aside from Mechjeb the bases in question are completely stock. KerbalAlarm is just a timer or reminding me to pay attention to my vessels when they're coming up on maneuvers or whatever.

All I did was go from the tracking station to two bases stationed on the Mun. When they loaded, the bases were half submerged in the surface of Mun, and were instantly propelled upwards. One of them has RCS jets so I was able to land it safely, but the other one is a mobile base with no RCS, and was smashed to pieces. In either case there was not time to get screenshots.

I installed 1.4.3 using the Mac OSX installer. I don't know what is meant by a "clean install".

As I had to restore 1.4.2 from my backup drive, the output files have been expunged from existence. I didn't load any other bases or vehicles because I didn't want them to be smashed.

Does it matter that both these bases are within a kilometer of two different Mun arches, and not on level ground?

Edited by Zosma Procyon

6 hours ago, Zosma Procyon said:

My ground bases are all partially INSIDE the bodies they're set on, and end up flung into the air and crash back down. I'm going to restore 1.4.2 from my backup. Please announce when this problem is fixed.

Changes were made to ground positioning (per the release notes) and there's no guarantee that older save files will be compatible with a new version. There's a few things you can do though. Combinations of editing the altitude of the craft in the save file, using hacked gravity for gentler falling (assuming it works off-kerbin), and using VesselMover which will gently place your craft on the ground.

If you don't want to try these.... send me your save file (and mod list) and tell me where the crafts are that you want to have fixed, and I'll see if I can fix them myself.

Edit: better yet do what JPLRepo suggested in the post below this

Edited by wookiee_goldberg

5 hours ago, Zosma Procyon said:

Whatever patch of 1.4.3 was available for download about 10 minutes before I posted. Mac OS 10.13.4.

Two mods: MechJeb and KerbalAlarm. Aside from Mechjeb the bases in question are completely stock. KerbalAlarm is just a timer or reminding me to pay attention to my vessels when they're coming up on maneuvers or whatever.

All I did was go from the tracking station to two bases stationed on the Mun. When they loaded, the bases were half submerged in the surface of Mun, and were instantly propelled upwards. One of them has RCS jets so I was able to land it safely, but the other one is a mobile base with no RCS, and was smashed to pieces. In either case there was not time to get screenshots.

I installed 1.4.3 using the Mac OSX installer. I don't know what is meant by a "clean install".

As I had to restore 1.4.2 from my backup drive, the output files have been expunged from existence. I didn't load any other bases or vehicles because I didn't want them to be smashed.

It may not seem that these mods would interfere with your problem. But have these mods been updated for KSP 1.4.3? If not - it is possible they are failing and causing a cascading issue within KSP.
If you want to try here's what you can do:-
In KSP 1.4.3 go to the main settings menu and change your terrain details setting. There are three - Low, Default, High. Change it to any as long as it isn't the one you were last using your save with.
Restart KSP and then reload your save in 1.4.3 with the changed terrain detail setting. this will force KSP to reposition any landed vessels.
Go to your vessels and see what happens. Once they have been repositioned by KSP - you can repeat the process to change your terrain setting back to the way you usually have it and reload again. (KSP will reposition them again). Of course:- always backup/make a copy of your saves. KSP does this for you as well and there would be a backups folder in your Saves folder for each save.

I don't know if this is new as I didn't experiment much previously with jettisoning the SM-25 doors.

I am now seeing that if I jettison the SM-25 doors in flight, I then lose the ability in the PAW to "Enable Cutaway".

Is this new?  Is this functioning as intended? 

If I jettison the doors to expose goo canisters or fuel cells or whatnot, I still need the ability to see my fuel tanks inside the service module without having to zoom the camera inside the SM-25 walls.

28 minutes ago, klesh said:

I don't know if this is new as I didn't experiment much previously with jettisoning the SM-25 doors.

I am now seeing that if I jettison the SM-25 doors in flight, I then lose the ability in the PAW to "Enable Cutaway".

Is this new?  Is this functioning as intended? 

If I jettison the doors to expose goo canisters or fuel cells or whatnot, I still need the ability to see my fuel tanks inside the service module without having to zoom the camera inside the SM-25 walls.

I can confirm this is an issue in the previous version as well

11 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

I can confirm this is an issue in the previous version as well

Looks like https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/18248, which was posted about a month ago, but was just changed from "new" to "investigating" 2 days ago.

I wonder if MH can be updated to 1.3 without having to change the base game to 1.4.4?

Well I'm sure most rocket launch pads aren't dead-on the cardinal directions either, but then again Kerbin doesn't have axial tilt like the Earth does either.

Regardless, if your rocket has roll authority, just execute a roll program after launch to get aligned in the desired attitude like a lot of real-life rockets do too. :)

18 hours ago, Zosma Procyon said:

just to address a minor issue that got trough: a "clean install" is one where every older file (save, mod, anything) is previously deleted (or moved to another place where they do not interfere). So the new installed software is on a known, "pristine" state.

Usually, we install updates over a previous "dirty" install. Steam does that for default. So if anything is broken, or became broken by the update, it will... break when the updated software runs.

Is anyone having problems with Rovers being very sensitive and doing the sky high flip? I'm noticing this when I have tried to give one of my wheeled girder drop ships a nudge on the Mun. Both the ship and the rover are doing the flip. The ship not as badly likely due to mass. It's as if I collided at high speed. I don't recall this happening in 1.4.2. I've got all my reaction wheels disabled. I can't think of anything else it could be.

16 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

It may not seem that these mods would interfere with your problem. But have these mods been updated for KSP 1.4.3? If not - it is possible they are failing and causing a cascading issue within KSP.
If you want to try here's what you can do:-
In KSP 1.4.3 go to the main settings menu and change your terrain details setting. There are three - Low, Default, High. Change it to any as long as it isn't the one you were last using your save with.
Restart KSP and then reload your save in 1.4.3 with the changed terrain detail setting. this will force KSP to reposition any landed vessels.
Go to your vessels and see what happens. Once they have been repositioned by KSP - you can repeat the process to change your terrain setting back to the way you usually have it and reload again. (KSP will reposition them again). Of course:- always backup/make a copy of your saves. KSP does this for you as well and there would be a backups folder in your Saves folder for each save.

Good news everyone!

I did as the friendly chap advised and my Mun and Minmus surface bases are not exploding and in mostly the correct location. They seem to have moved slightly and maybe rotated a bit.

Now where did I leave my teeth...

Edited by Dr Farnsworth

I think we reached a point where such hints should be better advertised, including on the game itself! A big, nice button that is always being shown that would walkthrough the user to the trouble shooting, that can be disabled by user at will and is re-enabled by default on every KSP update! :-)

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, Snark said:

I would say very much "programming in general".  I've been a professional software engineer for nearly a quarter-century myself, and there are always bugs.  Doesn't matter how diligent you are, doesn't matter how careful or skilled you are.  There are always bugs.  Always. snip

My code never has bugs.  It does however sometimes have unintended features ;).

There used to be, way way back in the old days, requirements and methods for proving bug free code, in particular it was a requirement in nuclear power plants (maybe others I'm remembering stuff from 30+ years ago).  But computers were a lot simpler than yet still these proofs were expensive.  Can't imagine anything like that now...maybe in the future quantum computer AI's might be able to achieve this...but I doubt it (as the complexities will always be going up).  In theory you could write complex bug free code...but the rest of the world will be using software 100 years ahead of yours by the time you're finished.

On 4/28/2018 at 10:52 AM, Azimech said:

Built a car in 1.4.2. External commandpod to EVA the kerbals to their seats.

Why does everyone still move Kerbals to command seats in this clunky way when the Take Command mod has been a thing for almost 3 years now? 

20 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Why does everyone still move Kerbals to command seats in this clunky way when the Take Command mod has been a thing for almost 3 years now? 

Why does Squad still require Kerbals to be moved to command seats in this clunky way when the Take Command mod has been a thing for almost 3 years now? 

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

If you build a chair in a confined space, Take Command makes a mess out of it. Kerbals popping through the roof, spaghettification etc.

32 minutes ago, Azimech said:

If you build a chair in a confined space, Take Command makes a mess out of it. Kerbals popping through the roof, spaghettification etc.

It can if you are being naughty yeah. Or if it auto-populates and you forgot to de-populate before launch. I was launching several of these rovers (https://i.imgur.com/qgjcwa3.png) inside that size of fairing and kept forgetting to remove Jeb and he kept poofing to death on the launchpad.

Re-entry VFX  -  since they are not fixed.  Can you remove the item in the change log that states they are fixed?   

* Fix reentry VFX being broken by parts which don’t have a scale of one.

Or maybe they did fix that.  But didnt fix the reentry VFX for parts that DO have a scale of one. hmmm.   Anyway the VFX on mine are still "on top"  making the spacecraft look kinda transparent.

Thank you SQUAD for fixing the notices its nice not having to clear those out every so often.

Surface EVA -   Anyone else getting a stutterstep effect when walking ?     My kerbals whole body twitch when walking on EVA's.  Instead of the normal side to side rocking walk they do.   Imagine a Max Headroom effect on the kerbals body.   If they have the helmet lights on, the lit up areas flicker so bad at the edges I might get a seizure.  Seriously I have to turn off the lights when they walk now.  And zoom out a great deal so I dont see them walk.   It is painful on the eyes.

Edited by DaveLChgo

8 minutes ago, DaveLChgo said:

Re-entry VFX  -  since they are not fixed.  Can you remove the item in the change log that states they are fixed?   

* Fix reentry VFX being broken by parts which don’t have a scale of one.

Or maybe they did fix that.  But didnt fix the reentry VFX for parts that DO have a scale of one. hmmm.   Anyway the VFX on mine are still "on top"  making the spacecraft look kinda transparent.

I think the fix was for that weird long effect and not for the transparency.

Edited by Boyster

3 minutes ago, Boyster said:

I think the fix was for that weird long effect and not for the transparency.

Ahhh.  The particle effects trail.  That one didn't seem broken for me.   And one of the devs in this thread stated that it indeed did not get fixed.  But maybe there were two issues and not one.