A whole family in the living room watching TV

Gordon Dry

11 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Yes

Here's a fact for you to ponder. While not the 'first' cellphone, the iPhone was released in 2007. A study conducted and reported in 2017 on national average SAT scores (data gathered from 1970 through 2016), showed a sharp decline in SAT scores nationally beginning in 2006. And, to date, it is not getting any better. If anything, the study is showing the combined overall effect of family-values dissolution, and the failure of things like multiculturalism, forced ethnic diversity, and lastly socioeconomic differences, to be rooted in poorly implemented technologies. It appears that today, every negative issue educators are facing is centered about things 'social', the cellphone and internet. Now we're trying to computerize teaching, and not having had control of this technology to start with, the outcome is specious.

I looked up more information about the SAT scores, and it looks like the 2017 SAT score is better than ever before. This makes me ponder even more... A plausible explanation for this could be the "massive redesign" of spring 2016, but that was 2016, when the score were still low.

I tried looking for more things that indicate brain cell loss in children and i couldn't find anything else that indicates kids are turning into plants. I only see the precentages of students completing high school and succeeding their exams going up.

5 hours ago, HazelPine said:

Surprisingly, my friends. Sure, things like morality and manners mostly came from my family, but most things I ever learned about the world and how to live in it came from friends.

This. Friends taught me that im not alone, wich was a really great thing to know, since everyone in my family is completely different in some kind if way. School was a great thing, not only for education, but also because they lock you up in a chamber with a hundred other kiddos, of wich you can cherrypick people that are the most relatable to you. If it wasn't for school and my friends i would have probably not been breathing happily right now.

13 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I would ask you, from whom have you learned more about life, and how to live, your friends or your family?

From foes.

Family + books&films gave a start, basic knowledge, common principles.
Friends made me to review some of my previous thoughts, making them more cynical realistic and versatile, made me more liberal.
Foes are a (substance) to withstand or bypass. Without them, what would fill the sewers?

14 hours ago, LordFerret said:

SAT scores

Yeah, like "how many times in a week do you eat meat ?", which answer used to be "twice a week", but now changes to "no, I like fish".

To be honest, I'm nowhere close to those people who say that "education isn't going anywhere"- it "isn't going anywhere" because it is learning, and learning is a process, like eating or cutting. It's not going to change considerably - you can't call it eating if you just threw up entire dish that you've swallowed, nor you can say that I've cut the tree down if it's just hinged to the root and you can't actually remove it from the place.

But testing with a test means that :

- Have the test changes ?

- Have the aid changes ?

Even if those two are out of question, perhaps something else to say is "who has changed, the students or the educator ?". (it's probably both.)

Then you still need to pintpoint what the changes is. Not easy to call the shots off that. We've been vaguely having the same problem - but if anything, every year the test grading are raised, the equipment/aid changed (now it's on computer), and the method changed (previously it's "full suite", so for science phys+chem+bio, now only one out of the three).

14 hours ago, LordFerret said:

poorly implemented technologies

Perhaps this is your generation not learning enough of it. :wink:

Here's something interesting you might want to take a listen to.

And to all of the "millenials" as well.

Edited by YNM

5 hours ago, NSEP said:

I looked up more information about the SAT scores, and it looks like the 2017 SAT score is better than ever before. This makes me ponder even more... A plausible explanation for this could be the "massive redesign" of spring 2016, but that was 2016, when the score were still low.

I tried looking for more things that indicate brain cell loss in children and i couldn't find anything else that indicates kids are turning into plants. I only see the precentages of students completing high school and succeeding their exams going up.

I don't know where you're getting that idea from, but I'll say it again... it's not what the research is showing.

Average SAT Scores Over Time: 1972 - 2017

The good news on America's report cards: More high school teachers are handing out A's. But the bad news is that students aren't necessarily learning more.

Recent findings show that the proportion of high school seniors graduating with an A average — that includes an A-minus or A-plus — has grown sharply over the past generation, even as average SAT scores have fallen.

In 1998, it was 38.9%. By last year, it had grown to 47%.

That’s right: Nearly half of America’s Class of 2016 are A students. Meanwhile, their average SAT score fell from 1,026 to 1,002 on a 1,600-point scale — suggesting that those A's on report cards might be fool's gold.

- https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/07/17/easy-a-nearly-half-hs-seniors-graduate-average/485787001/

This is further supported in the ACT report...
https://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/cccr2017/P_99_999999_N_S_N00_ACT-GCPR_National.pdf

I think you're confused by the change in the SAT overhaul, what's been done, what it means...
Old SAT vs. New SAT (2016)
-and-
https://eric.ed.gov/?q=""&ff1=souCollege+Board&ff2=subScores&id=ED581513

Maybe it's time you post some resources for me, something for me to go look up and cross-check. Are you an educator, or do you work in education or with educators?

Here, knock yourself out...
https://research.collegeboard.org/topics

3 hours ago, YNM said:

Perhaps this is your generation not learning enough of it. :wink:

While it was my generation which invented this stuff, it was also my generation which tried to warn early on about its misuse and the idea of letting sales and marketing goons run off with it. For knowledge on that, you'll have do look back and do some serious historical digging. Bottom line however - they were right. It has nothing to do with our not learning enough of it.

The internet has turned out to be the same great promise that was claimed of early cable tv. I'm sure someone out there in my age group understands that one.

Edited by LordFerret

4 hours ago, YNM said:

Yeah, like "how many times in a week do you eat meat ?", which answer used to be "twice a week", but now changes to "no, I like fish".

Wow I wish I took the same SAT test you did. Mine had math and word usage on it and was pretty in-depth. Of course, I took it before many on this forum were born so... :D

55 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

The internet has turned out to be the same great promise that was claimed of early cable tv. I'm sure someone out there in my age group understands that one.

Hey we still have the History* channel and Bravo**.

*I mean trucker and hillbilly reality shows.
**I mean sassy housewives.

Edited by 5thHorseman

6 hours ago, LordFerret said:

... and the idea of letting sales and marketing goons run off with it.

Oh, reeallly.

5 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Wow I wish I took the same SAT test you did. 

I live nowhere near America.

And that was just a metaphor. That's the question World Bank used to measure poverty. Which one of my parent helped took.

It's just a saying that just because it's not being answered the way you "wanted", doesn't mean it's how you expect it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.