Air Superiority Competition Unlimited Re-Continued - Now in KSP 1.4 and BDA 1.2!

1 hour ago, ZLM-Master said:

Ok . thx , wanna  know your feeling about KK and BDAc , if it's just me or if there really bad interact witin this mod ! Well , i'm fine with the game result ;) PEGASys still a bit better anyway ;) 

I think KK might just be using more computing resources, so BDA has less to work with. 

There's also the part that the KSC-Island setup has an altitude difference compared to the raised starting runways I have with KK, so that might have something to do with it too; battles are lower to the ocean without KK, which means we can't do any special high-altitude stuff if we want too.

I'll keep doing tests with different aircraft and see if having KK installed or not is significantly different. 

Next set of battles.

@ZLM-Master's Lure Target goes up against his X-Fighter Hunter.

Battle:

Spoiler

After Action Report:

Spoiler

Battle Report:

IkpGE5M.png

Analysis:

The Lure Target... seems to be what it's named? It seems to me that it's a good drone to practice fighting against, but in full-on combat, it can't hold its own. It's a big target, with big vulnerable wings. Its armament is good, but it just can't get into the right positions to use them well.

In any case, it'll be a good 'entry' test for upcoming planes.

And now, for the next 'real' dogfight, we have @53miner53's P-5a 'Flash' going up against @ZLM-Master's Lure Target.

Battle:

Spoiler

After Action Report:

Spoiler

Battle Report:

WmA1mh5.png

Analysis:

The small size of the P-5 has always been its strength. The P-5a attempts to mitigate some of the original's issues, primarily with more thrust this time, while otherwise retaining the same overall design.

This battle seemed to have been won more on the Lure Target's weakness of size rather than any of the P-5's strengths. In fact, the P-5a appears to be sorely lacking in offensive capabilities now, and firing Sidewinders off first before the routing device doesn't really help either.

Still, when the Lure Targets could get into position, they could do damage, as their firepower is very good. Loaded with a good amount of missiles, they have the staying power through a match to continue to rout or even damage the P-5s. As evident a few times, proximity detonation of the Sidewinders on the P-5s were significant, with the loss of one of the elevons pretty much taking it out of the fight. As well, the P-5s had a tendency to quickly be disabled by losing the lone air intake at the front. These weren't really problems in BDA 1.0's 'all-or-nothing' damage style (though I believe it did still show up occasionally), but being able to survive hits does matter now.

It will continue on against the X-Fighter Hunter.

Also, I have a new section in the leaderboard sheet called 'Aircraft Stats', where I take every aircraft and rate them according to a list of attributes after they battle. This should help illustrate the differences for each competing aircraft and help compare their performance.

Ok, this looks fun. I'll slap together a flying barge loaded with guns in a few weeks, (mabye more, accounting for even more procrastination) and then never post a kerbalX link or anything because of the 'IDIL' effect- (I'll do it Later).

Continuing @53miner53's P-5a Flash series, it goes up against @ZLM-Master's X-Fighter Hunter, a drone similar in size, but heavier-hitting in all other ways. Can the P-5a's smaller size give it the edge?

Battle:

Spoiler

After Action Report:

Spoiler

Battle Report:

8qzJbVM.png

Analysis:

A very, very solid no.

The P-5a is outclassed in almost all other factors other than size. The X-Fighter has it on thrust, weapons, and very importantly, survivability, combined with a size not much larger than the P-5a itself.

The P-5a's single Vulcan can work, but as targets get smaller, that single Vulcan can't output enough firepower to reliably damage and down targets. On top of that, the X-Fighter has its weird ability to just survive gunfire. And while we're talking about taking hits, the P-5a is a fragile drone, with almost every component critical to its function. The only thing it can lose without affecting its combat effectiveness severely are the two ventral fins- which it frequently loses when it tries to fire either the routing device or the Sidewinders.

Only 2 Sidewinders doesn't work against the X-Fighter either. In the BDA 1.0 days, 2 Sidewinders was okay, but 2 Sidewinders was pretty old meta even by the end of BDA 1.0, with aircraft having been increasingly armed when we finished that series. In BDA 1.2, that's an even bigger liability, as the AI is far more combative and uses missiles a lot more effectively.

And the largest weakness of the P-5 is still present in the P-5a- low thrust. Without afterburners, the P-5a struggles to gain any control the fight, so it's left at the mercy of the X-Fighters.

The P-5a's run stops here.

Sooo... I'm back! Gonna let @Box of Stardust continue to run it (because i'm lazy busy).

On another note, I finally managed to make a decent craft... on accident:huh:. Still, may arm and submit what will then be the ASP F-42 Vindicator (ASP is abrreviation for air superiority power, aka it's armed)

1 hour ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Having problems with access still.

Also, can we remove part and weight limit? It undermines the original point of the competition.

Well, you're listed as an editor in the doc, so I don't know what the issue is.

As for part count limit, I can consider an expansion to 125 - 150, and I suppose removing weight limit wouldn't hurt either.

However, we discussed removing weapon limits and came to the conclusion that laser spam is still dumb, and turrets just aren't in the spirit of this competition.

5 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

https://kerbalx.com/dundun92/Du-7

@Box of Stardust here's another design(and its totally not simply a biplane PEGASys):

iSRFdjk.png

8 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

https://kerbalx.com/The_Kerbal_Way/D-1-Generation-I

My take on the current competitive meta.

On 7/21/2018 at 10:35 PM, Xd the great said:

From my testing, mine beat all of these... @Xd the greats crashed. @Joseph Kermans died instantly. @dundun92s mlrexcrements the airplane.

On 6/17/2018 at 10:41 PM, Box of Stardust said:

Okay everyone, your first big menace for BDA 1.2 is here. PEGASys-D6

Ye4hIBEl.png

The HSC beat it 2-0..... Im not trying to brag but this is my results  

@ZLM-Master the DU-7 and HSC beat yours... u should do it yourself

1 hour ago, Box of Stardust said:

Do you want to revise your entries with Ven's Stock Revamp? I think @dundun92 mentioned that VSR changes stock parts, which we can't have.

But I don't have VSR on that one...

Just now, dundun93 said:

But I don't have VSR on that one...

Pls @Box of Stardust

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.