Kerbin Side Remastered [1.0.1] [1.7.3]

Eskandare

19 hours ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

imo this one is more stockalike compared to the previous KS

And prettier too.

The classic one, by some reason, makes me think on some add-ons I played on Orbiter on the V2006 times...

1 hour ago, Wyzard said:

I know it's a long shot, but would it be feasible for this to support running with just Making History, and not Kerbal Konstructs?  I'm interested in additional launchsites, but KK has an awkward UI and a bunch of extraneous stuff that I don't want (like hiring staff in office buildings, and some sort of airplane navigation system that I couldn't figure out how to use).  Now that Making History has its own support for alternate launchsites, I'd be interested in a pack that just adds launchsites to the MH launchsite menu, nothing more.

KK Enables the other sites to exist/be built -- and lots of those extraneous features can be disabled/ignored, for the most part. As it stands now, with KK/Kerbinside Remastered, the stock launch button is updated to include all active runways/launchpads, not just the default+Making History sites.

I'm liking how this looks.  Now, here comes some compatability question fun.

I run Kerbal 1.2.2.1622...  Because I have 120+ mods and it takes an ungodly amount of time to replace them after an update.  So I've been mishmashing for a long while and seeing what manages to be backwards compatible.  (Some mods work fine even though they say they're only compatible 3 subversions up, some puke and die.)

I just got this to 'half-work'.  However, while the KSC taxiway statics work nicely, launch sites are both there, and not there.  The KSC buildings appear at the remote sites, but are not fully upgraded.  Something I assume is handled in Kerbal 1.4 properly.  But I don't care if the remote site buildings aren't visually upgraded.  The concern is that the runway statics don't appear on site, and selecting them in the editor moves the camera into Krackenspace.  The usual 'code doesn't play nice so I'll stick the camera in the black void' behavior.  Closing out the menu returns the camera to normal.

In terms of trying to push things to the edge of 'barely working' mishmash, I started trying to update KK as far as it'll go.  In this case, that's This version of KK.  Any version after that spits out an error at the very end of the game load and patch cycle, and crashes to desktop. 

So right now, I have some working statics, and I have working remote site buildings, and working static terrain-blend mounds.  But no runways or additional taxiways.  Kojave Sands, for example, is just the unupgraded KSC buildings sitting in the dust.

Am I absolutely stuck forcing an upgrade to Kerbal in order to get a higher version of KK working for this?  Or can I finagle something through guts, determination, and copious amounts of WAUGH!!!?

EDIT: I wonder if I can push my version to 1.3 and get away with it without murdering my mod set.

EDIT2: Nope.  Broke four mods and CTD'd, and I wasn't even out of the As.

Edited by AdmiralTigerclaw

On 5/1/2018 at 5:05 AM, AdmiralTigerclaw said:

I'm liking how this looks.  Now, here comes some compatability question fun.

I run Kerbal 1.2.2.1622...  Because I have 120+ mods and it takes an ungodly amount of time to replace them after an update.  So I've been mishmashing for a long while and seeing what manages to be backwards compatible.  (Some mods work fine even though they say they're only compatible 3 subversions up, some puke and die.)

I just got this to 'half-work'.  However, while the KSC taxiway statics work nicely, launch sites are both there, and not there.  The KSC buildings appear at the remote sites, but are not fully upgraded.  Something I assume is handled in Kerbal 1.4 properly.  But I don't care if the remote site buildings aren't visually upgraded.  The concern is that the runway statics don't appear on site, and selecting them in the editor moves the camera into Krackenspace.  The usual 'code doesn't play nice so I'll stick the camera in the black void' behavior.  Closing out the menu returns the camera to normal.

In terms of trying to push things to the edge of 'barely working' mishmash, I started trying to update KK as far as it'll go.  In this case, that's This version of KK.  Any version after that spits out an error at the very end of the game load and patch cycle, and crashes to desktop. 

So right now, I have some working statics, and I have working remote site buildings, and working static terrain-blend mounds.  But no runways or additional taxiways.  Kojave Sands, for example, is just the unupgraded KSC buildings sitting in the dust.

Am I absolutely stuck forcing an upgrade to Kerbal in order to get a higher version of KK working for this?  Or can I finagle something through guts, determination, and copious amounts of WAUGH!!!?

EDIT: I wonder if I can push my version to 1.3 and get away with it without murdering my mod set.

EDIT2: Nope.  Broke four mods and CTD'd, and I wasn't even out of the As.

1.2.2 should be fine, the building at the remote site are never upgraded, because they are lv1 on purpose. The only "problem" is that you need to delete the "Statics" folder out of  "GameData/KerbalKonstructs/" 

I'l update 1.2.2 one more time, but I don't know when. 

On 5/1/2018 at 4:27 PM, ThiccRocketScientist said:

Same, it is a KK issue not sure why.

the stock KSC buildings are now not havong any rubles? that odd, because that should not happen to them. The new building should not be destructable, if they are I'm surprised. 

I've not got any bugreports of that issue anywhere. 

On 5/2/2018 at 4:05 AM, ValynEritai said:

Would be nice to see this in CKAN once KK updates for 1.4.3. :)

yes, as soon I've got the most annoying bug out of the release. 

Hey, @Ger_space, thanks for poking me.  I'll get that downloaded and give it a shot.

I also have a request, assuming all things are working.  Can you create a tarmac aircraft parking hex/half-hex with a spawn point?   I would love to spawn at some place other than the end of a runway and make use of Taxiways.  Plus, there's a lack of plain tarmac.

Fast Edit: Or is that Eskandare?

EDIT 2:  And it works nicely now.

AF8hgDw.png

51 minutes ago, AdmiralTigerclaw said:

So, when I finish these, do you guys want them packed up for use?

First base is going up slowly...

I don't know about anyone else but I'll be happy to take some extra launchsites, especially with bigger runways.

Just now, XOC2008 said:

I don't know about anyone else but I'll be happy to take some extra launchsites, especially with bigger runways.

I kinda' wish working with KK was more streamlined, but making these things is ultra slow if you want to get alignments just right.  I started toying with BDNL around 10 AM.  And took that screencap around five if the posting time is to be believed.

I want to do airports in three sizes, plus some outliers.

1: Small Municiple airports with runways only suitable for GA-sized aircraft dotting the landscape every few hundred km.  Oh, if I could just cluster a configuration and plop it down anywhere like a rubber stamp...  There might be a way to do it in KK, but I don't know how.

2: Medium to large International airports like BDNL.  With launch spawns that aren't right on the runway.  Stuff that's suitable for building size and mass accurate 747s.  (Turns out, the takeoff length of the 2700 meter runway is actually shorter than the takeoff distance of a 747-400ER.)

3: Spaceports with 5,000 + meter runways for monster units.

One thing I'll have to do though, is make my fuel tanks stock-friendly.  Right now, I'm putting Kerosene in them, since I use Real Fuels.

0B29F8DCDDC449F8205A73377343B15DE45BA7A4I  was doing some stuff at the desert runway and i returned to the space center. was pleasantly surprised to find my self at the runway but upon moving the camera the textures glitched out also the only thing i could highlight to enter was the tracking center. But its overall a great mod

3 hours ago, infinax said:

0B29F8DCDDC449F8205A73377343B15DE45BA7A4I  was doing some stuff at the desert runway and i returned to the space center. was pleasantly surprised to find my self at the runway but upon moving the camera the textures glitched out also the only thing i could highlight to enter was the tracking center. But its overall a great mod

I think the answer as to why this is happening can be explained here.

It has to do with the fact that a lot of the meshes of the ground have to somehow be attached to the sides of the runway/Taxiway. otherwise it gives you that effect. 

(at least that's how I'm interpreting what is happening)

Space_Coyote

Here's a question guys.  Do we want to put ICAO-like codes on airports?

Example codes:  KEDW (Edwards Airforce Base) ; PHNL (Honolulu Intl. Airport).

Right now, I'm putting BDLN on Badlands Intl.  Anyone else want to suggest airport names and ICAO codes, fire away.

EDIT:  I think this one is almost done...

https://imgur.com/a/feNu1Uq

4 hours ago, AdmiralTigerclaw said:

Here's a question guys.  Do we want to put ICAO-like codes on airports?

Example codes:  KEDW (Edwards Airforce Base) ; PHNL (Honolulu Intl. Airport).

Right now, I'm putting BDLN on Badlands Intl.  Anyone else want to suggest airport names and ICAO codes, fire away.

I think this is a cool idea. I’ve done this informally for purposes of writing flight plans in Kramax.  It wouldn’t be.a terrible idea to standardize them.  

*puts on Professor hat*

So, with ICAO codes, generally the first letter is a region code (ie K is the contiguous US) and then the 2nd letter may be a geographic reference (as with P, which is the Pacific region, but then you have PH for Hawaii, PA for Alaska, PG for Guam, etc).  Larger countries (the US, Russia and Canada) just use a region code followed by a 3-letter identifier, which usually mirrors the IATA code for the airport.  Each country also has its own naming convention, for example in the US, we give civil airports designators that closely match their name or the population center they service.

So, ICAO prefixes I, J, Q and X are not currently used. For the sake of avoiding confusion and not having overlap between real and fictional airports, I would suggest using one of those, perhaps using geographic identifiers to drill down the landmass they service.  

Edited by MaxPeck

3 minutes ago, MaxPeck said:

I think this is a cool idea. I’ve done this informally for purposes of writing flight plans in Kramax.  It wouldn’t be.a terrible idea to standardize them.  

*puts on Professor hat*

So, with ICAO codes, generally the first letter is a region code (ie K is the contiguous US) and then the 2nd letter may be a geographic reference (as with P, which is the Pacific region, but then you have PH for Hawaii, PA for Alaska, PG for Guam, etc).  Larger countries (the US, Russia and Canada) just use a region code followed by a 3-letter identifier, which usually mirrors the IATA code for the airport.  Each country also has its own naming convention, for example in the US, we give civil airports designators that closely match their name or the population center they service.

So, ICAO prefixes I, J, Q and X are not currently used. For the sake of avoiding confusion and not having overlap between real and fictional airports, I would suggest using one of those, perhaps using geographic identifiers to drill down the landmass they service.  

Or you could use this webite to help with the builds 

oh and if we used the KSC Runway for shuttle landings the designator would be KTTS. 

2 hours ago, Space_Coyote said:

Or you could use this webite to help with the builds 

oh and if we used the KSC Runway for shuttle landings the designator would be KTTS. 

Well, except it wouldn’t because KTTS is in central Florida, not Kerbin.   Plus the runway at KTTS is 15/33. KTIX is a 9/27 and closer to matching the KSC runway, except that’s also in central Florida,  not Kerbin. 

If we use a separate designator, like X, you could just make it XKSC, which is kinda cool. 

I don't think we need to worry about getting kerbin codes mixed with real life airports.  Also, I might call them IKAO instead of ICAO.

The real question is...  how do we name geographic regions on Kerbin?  I know there are some roll plays and such where they pulled names together.  Though I think it would be prudent to actually put names to the continents and seas of Kerbin.  I've seen people call them 'Continent 1' etc...  North ocean, south ocean... 

Honestly, I'm surprised Squad didn't at least name them.

4 hours ago, AdmiralTigerclaw said:

I don't think we need to worry about getting kerbin codes mixed with real life airports.  Also, I might call them IKAO instead of ICAO.

The real question is...  how do we name geographic regions on Kerbin?  I know there are some roll plays and such where they pulled names together.  Though I think it would be prudent to actually put names to the continents and seas of Kerbin.  I've seen people call them 'Continent 1' etc...  North ocean, south ocean... 

Honestly, I'm surprised Squad didn't at least name them.

I would say using hemisphere quadrants would be easiest instead of trying to discretely name the land masses and such. NW, SW, NE, SE depending on lat/long.  Seems like the simplist answer. 

Edited by MaxPeck