Kerbin Side Remastered [1.0.1] [1.7.3]

Eskandare

• 1 month later...

So huh... Please pardon me, i hate being that guy but... Is there an update on the horizon for this mod?

It works and all, but i'm curious if anything new is coming in a foreseeable future, no pressure.

And while we're at that, is there any fix or workaround on the issue of statics "moving" when on rails? Like i'll plop everything and i'll make every static be on the same level, then i fly away and come back, some statics have shifted, some are slightly higher or lower and there's bumps everywhere... This might be more of a KK issue but if some light could be shed i'd be glad, thanks in advance

Edited by tupidfp

5 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

@tupidfp The author has not been active since October of 2023 and the license for this mod is All Rights Reserved. Chances of an adoption by another person seem unlikely.  

The original KerbinSide was All Rights Reserved but this mod KerbinSide Remastered is CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 (changed in v. 1.0)

Edit: As soon as I posted, it struck me that the stated license might not represent the whole picture so I dug a little deeper and while the mod is CC BY-NA-SA, the "Disributed Static Assets, Artwork & Models" are All Rights Reserved. So anyone wanting to "fix" a given static would need to remodel and implement it from scratch as a new KK Static, then replace the instances in the configs with their replacement static unless they could get permission from the original author to modify their originals.

Edited by Aelfhe1m
further research

Well... Thats unfortunate... But it is what it is

17 hours ago, tupidfp said:

(...) Is there and fix or workaround on the issue of statics "moving" when on rails? Like i'll plop everything and i'll make every static be on the same level, then i fly away and come back, some statics have shifted, some are slightly higher or lower and there's bumps everywhere... This might be more of a KK issue but if some light could be shed i'd be glad, thanks in advance

Anything on this?

On 9/24/2022 at 7:43 PM, Caerfinon said:

There was a discussion about this in this forum in relation to the same issue in a mod I'm making. It's not such a simple task.

For some reason the KK remove scatter option is not working with Parallax but it does with stock scatter. The parallax method to remove the larger scatter (trees etc) can be accomplished by making a custom block map of every KK site on Kerbin. There are many of these and they are provided by many different mod makers so getting one that would do all the KK sites would be a bit of a coordination effort. Even with the block map created, it doesn't remove the low level scatter from Parallax (grass, flowers, etc). To do that the only current solution is to elevate every KK site by 2-3 meters so that they are higher than the low level scatter. And because the runway elevations have changed, all the patches for runway navigation will have to be re-written to compensate. 

It short. It's a big, time consuming, Job.   

Just curious to know if anyone is aware if there has been any word with regards to parallax scatter being at all the Kerbin Side Remastered locations. As I was digging through the various posts, I saw that this was a pretty huge undertaking; and noticed that solutions were proposed but I couldn't find any indication that they had been applied. I figure it's a long shot, but it can't hurt to ask. Maybe I missed something in my search. 

Editing to add additional information I found in the Parallax thread:

So the removal of scatter is working perfectly. Thank You. 

The grass cover is, as you mentioned not removed, however the effort to adjust to compensate is not very great on the side of Kerbal Konstructs. A simple elevation in the Group Center of the location by 3 meters will place the KK statics above the height of the grass, removing it from runways, and building statics that have some kind of ground level base around them. 

I have also done some testing with the effects this change might have on navigation and autopilot tools and the effect of a 3 meter variance does not prove significant.   

So the feature would be a nice to have, however I wouldn't say it is desperately required. Removal of the large scatter for the KK user was previously cumbersome, but removal of the grass level is sort of trivial. 

I imagine this is where we stand right now. 

Edited by DVQuill

7 minutes ago, DVQuill said:

Just curious to know if anyone is aware if there has been any word with regards to parallax scatter being at all the Kerbin Side Remastered locations. As I was digging through the various posts, I saw that this was a pretty huge undertaking; and noticed that solutions were proposed but I couldn't find any indication that they had been applied. I figure it's a long shot, but it can't hurt to ask. Maybe I missed something in my search

I'm pretty sure Parallax update 2.0.5 from 17 Dec 2022 resolved this issue (for large scatter) as it included a fix to respect the don't spawn on mapdecals setting. For any sites that are still showing trees/rocks or other large scatter in the wrong areas, it should just be a case of toggling the setting on in the KK editor or adding a (flat) mapdecal to any sites that are missing one and activating the toggle.

The smaller scatter (grass, flowers etc.) will still appear within the mapdecal area, but as mentioned in Caerfinon's "Getting started with Kerbal Konstructs" guide, raising each KK group 2-3 metres will eliminate most of this poke through .

18 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

I'm pretty sure Parallax update 2.0.5 from 17 Dec 2022 resolved this issue (for large scatter) as it included a fix to respect the don't spawn on mapdecals setting. For any sites that are still showing trees/rocks or other large scatter in the wrong areas, it should just be a case of toggling the setting on in the KK editor or adding a (flat) mapdecal to any sites that are missing one and activating the toggle.

The smaller scatter (grass, flowers etc.) will still appear within the mapdecal area, but as mentioned in Caerfinon's "Getting started with Kerbal Konstructs" guide, raising each KK group 2-3 metres will eliminate most of this poke through .

Amazing, thank you for the quick response. Looks like I will be diving into the guide to get those up. Thanks again!!