BUG REPORT: Surface Bases sunk into Mun surface in 1.4.3 and 1.2

I couldn't find the bug report thread. My two bases on the Mun were partially sunk into the surface of the Mun when I loaded into them in 1.4.3 with MH 1.2.

Whatever patch of 1.4.3 was available for download about 10 minutes before I posted. Mac OS 10.13.4.

Two mods: MechJeb and KerbalAlarm. Aside from Mechjeb the bases in question are completely stock. KerbalAlarm is just a timer or reminding me to pay attention to my vessels when they're coming up on maneuvers or whatever.

All I did was go from the tracking station to two bases stationed on the Mun. When they loaded, the bases were half submerged in the surface of Mun, and were instantly propelled upwards. One of them has RCS jets so I was able to land it safely, but the other one is a mobile base with no RCS, and was smashed to pieces. In either case there was not time to get screenshots.

I installed 1.4.3 using the Mac OSX installer. I don't know what is meant by a "clean install".

As I had to restore 1.4.2 from my backup drive, the output files have been expunged from existence. I didn't load any other bases or vehicles because I didn't want them to be smashed.

Does it matter that both these bases are within a kilometer of two different Mun arches, and not on level ground?

52 minutes ago, Zosma Procyon said:

I don't know what is meant by a "clean install".

A fresh install, no older files lingering from previous versions, and (usually) no mods.  But given the age of MJ and KAC, and what they actually do, I doubt they had any influence on the bases.

Did you upgrade from 1.4.2, or is this a clean 1.4.3? 

I don't have a link for it, but there is a mod that prevents landed craft from being flung into the air upon loading.  This may or may not help, as I suspect it is not the same root cause, but it might help save the bases. 

Edited by Gargamel

16 hours ago, Gargamel said:

A fresh install, no older files lingering from previous versions, and (usually) no mods.  But given the age of MJ and KAC, and what they actually do, I doubt they had any influence on the bases.

Did you upgrade from 1.4.2, or is this a clean 1.4.3? 

I don't have a link for it, but there is a mod that prevents landed craft from being flung into the air upon loading.  This may or may not help, as I suspect it is not the same root cause, but it might help save the bases. 

No mods no can do. Literally everything I have has a mechjeb. But I'll try a clean install in a few days.

23 minutes ago, Zosma Procyon said:

No mods no can do. Literally everything I have has a mechjeb. But I'll try a clean install in a few days.

On the botton line, it's a way to simplify the bug hunting on the dev side. Getting rid of anything that even remotely could cause the problem, there's a lot of fewer places to look on. And having fewer places to look on raises the chances of finding it in the (finite and usualy small) timeframe they have to it.

I don’t think it is related to any mods. I’m new to KSP, and don’t have any mods, and I’ve found the To the Mun part 2 tutorial doesn’t work because when it starts, the rocket is slightly below the surface of the Mun, and the landing struts explode immediately. 

I was looking for a discussion on my issue with the tutorial when I found this thread describing a similar issue.

latest ksp on windows 10

Edited by TanDeeJay
Added is version

8 hours ago, TanDeeJay said:

I don’t think it is related to any mods. I’m new to KSP, and don’t have any mods, and I’ve found the To the Mun part 2 tutorial doesn’t work because when it starts, the rocket is slightly below the surface of the Mun, and the landing struts explode immediately. 

I was looking for a discussion on my issue with the tutorial when I found this thread describing a similar issue.

latest ksp on windows 10

@TanDeeJay

I went and tested To the Mun part 2, and didn't have any issues, (other than nearly tipping over because that lander is a little top heavy, and might tip if you land on too much of a slope, or with too sideways velocity).  From your comment, it sounds like you meant the follow mission From the Mun, so I tested that Mission as well without problems.   Are you playing on 1.4.3?  There were known issues with landing legs on 1.4.2.

Hmmm. I only downloaded 3 weeks Ago and assumed I had the latest. Just looked now and the downloaded installer says 1.4.2.

when I start the launcher, it says current and latest version ID is 2110. and bottom right of the 1st screen says 1.4.2.2110 so definitely 1.4.2

And your right. It is From the Mun I’m having issues with.

let me see if I can update

Edited by TanDeeJay

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.