Hiccups

Gargamel

So I have a bad case of the hiccups all of a sudden.  And with a strained pectoral muscle, I'm dying here.... A big spoonful of peanut butter is usually my goto solution, but I'm outa peanut butter.  

What are your cures?

Regulate your breath. I usually drink lukewarm water >5 gulps in one go (used to be 10 when I'm small, however when it's more persistent, second treatment would get me bloated, so I tried less).

Sit down, be calm.

You could also try with lumps of food. (here it's (cooked) rice, don't know what you could use there. IMO peanut butter sounds too sticky.)

Also, only drink and eat while seated properly, don't do it while standing or lying down.

Edited by YNM

12 hours ago, YNM said:

You could also try with lumps of food

For me that would make the problem worse (assuming that adding hiccups to hiccups increases hiccup frequency (it probably doesn't)). I often get hiccups after eating something. Not all the time, but in, like, 80% of all cases. They usually go away after a few seconds/minutes.

7 hours ago, Delay said:

For me that would make the problem worse.

Most hiccups are due to not breathing properly. I get hiccups when I laugh too loud / uncontrollably. Perhaps you have a tendency to speak while eating / breathe while swallowing or something like that ?

I don't mean like a fistfull of food - just a small amount, like a few pinches of (cooked) rice in one go.

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Just a horrible case of the hiccups.

How long has it happened ? If it continuously happened for months I'd seriously consider seeking a doctor.

Just now, YNM said:

How long has it happened ? If it continuously happened for months I'd seriously consider seeking a doctor.

LOL. no, just started after eating from the doggy bag on the way home from the bar...

On 4/29/2018 at 11:27 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

I hold my breath for as long as i can, always works for me. That also forces the diaphragm to reboot.

This seems to have worked.   Unless a huge one is being stored up to be unleashed upon the world as another tsunami inducing earthquake...... but I'm pretty sure we're good. 

24 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Unless a huge one is being stored up to be unleashed upon the world as another tsunami inducing earthquake...

That's what would happen to me.

(also, I think it's the other way around...)

Apparently the only "cure" with any basis in science is breathing into a paper bag. Something to do with CO2 concentrations and breathing reflexes I think.

Just dont let the fact that some people have had the hiccups for years keep you up at night :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.