Steam features

The game wasn't built for steam in the first place. It would be unfair to the other players that can't access it. That's why we the fourm, to share mods and crafts. (among other things) Also the devs said there will never be achievements either.

Edited by Dfthu

On 4/29/2018 at 8:33 AM, Dfthu said:

The game wasn't built for steam in the first place. It would be unfair to the other players that can't access it. That's why we the fourm, to share mods and crafts. (among other things) Also the devs said there will never be achievements either.

I saw ksp in only two shops- gog.com and steam, about 70-80% copies was bought in steam (if Wikipedia has true info) 

I think steam features should be available, or any another synchronization systems. 

For upload crafts I must go into game's files, and upload it to forum, kerbalX has mod with quick upload. 

If development don't think about their gamers - modders will think about they.

4 hours ago, smth said:

I saw ksp in only two shops- gog.com and steam, about 70-80% copies was bought in steam (if Wikipedia has true info) 

I bought mine neither from Steam nor GoG.

Are you saying I should miss out on certain features just because I bought it from a different store than you?

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

I bought mine neither from Steam nor GoG.

Are you saying I should miss out on certain features just because I bought it from a different store than you?

I saying about synchronization for all gamers.

I think many people have two and more PCs with ksp like me, but asynchronous saves.

Maybe dev's can bring to us other sync and workshop services, maybe their own.(like factorio)

Edited by smth

46 minutes ago, smth said:

I think many people have two and more PCs with ksp like me

Some do, some don't.

47 minutes ago, smth said:

but asynchronous saves.

Easy fix.   Transfer the saves via LAN or Mem stick. 

47 minutes ago, smth said:

workshop services,

You mean, like the the mod sub forum?  Or Ckan?

5 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Some do, some don't.

Easy fix.   Transfer the saves via LAN or Mem stick. 

You mean, like the the mod sub forum?  Or Ckan?

The transfer of data every time is tedious, especially when there is no time, or allow the stick itself. synchronization would give an unification of CKAN and the forum. Quick installation of mods, upload of buildings and etc.

40 minutes ago, smth said:

synchronization would give an unification of CKAN and the forum

CKAN is not associated with SQUAD.   It requires the individual modder to enable their mod to be listed there.  Some modders choose not to list their mods on CKAN, or the official mod site Curse, or on spacedock. 

Why would Squad commit resources to a feature that a significant number of users would not benefit from?  It would only fracture the community. 

6 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

CKAN не связан с SQUAD. Это требует, чтобы индивидуальный модератор включил их мод в список. Некоторые моддеры предпочитают не перечислять свои моды на CKAN , или на официальный сайт Modse Curse, или на spacedock. 

Почему Squad выделяет ресурсы для функции, которой не может воспользоваться значительное число пользователей? Это сломало бы сообщество. 

I saying about features of CKAN, not repositorys, only features.

This has been gone over to death a hundred times before.

KSP is available to purchase from Steam, that's it. It's not ever going to get any further integration than that, because as pointed out above; that would be unfair to other purchasers, as well as dividing the modding community which is never a good thing.

As someone who does own KSP on Steam, and whom stands to benefit from further integration; I too still believe that keeping things equal for everyone is the best way to go.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

The only way this would happen is if Squad came right out and said, "everyone needs to link their Store KSP account to their Steam account because we're shutting the store down and you won't be able to get future versions of KSP through it anymore."

Until Squad stops selling KSP on their storefront, KSP will always be "just available" on steam and that's it. Simple reason why: It would force a rift between players who have the steam version and players who have the Squad version, because the Steam version would get all these extra bells and whistles (like achievements, steam workshop, certain bug fixes, etc etc) and the Squad version...wouldn't.

Essentially it would create a system where half the playerbase is ignored in favor of the other half (sound familiar, console KSP players?).

This would be very very bad as you would basically be telling the people who got you where you are to either pack their bags and bugger off or...bugger off...

This isn't to say that I wouldn't LOVE steam workshop support. If the workshop has taught me anything, it's that the workshop makes adding mods an absolute breeze and KSP could REALLY use that. I know CKAN exists, but...well let's just say it ain't no workshop ;)

If you want a real-world example of this happening right now, look at Minecraft. Java version gets some stuff, Pocket Edition gets other stuff, Windows 10 version gets even other other stuff, all versions have different bugs and different features and (now) different communities. The ONLY reason Minecraft hasn't died as a result of this splitting, it simply because it had a MASSIVE playerbase to begin with. But because of that splitting, the development is a mess, the modding scene is a nightmare (basically don't even try it anymore unless you download a pack), and getting any kind of support is a headache at the very least. There's too many versions. Too many chefs in the kitchen. Nobody has a clear view of what's going on and where it's going on anymore.

While I have little interest in Steam features being added.  I don't understand why this would become a "divide."  Can't you just tell Steam to recognize your KSP installation and add it into your list of programs and then you could use the steam features if you wanted to?  You don't have to buy though Steam to use your games in Steam...or anyway I never have.  So long as the game doesn't get DRM I don't see the problem as you can always copy it somewhere else if you don't like the Steam integration (or just ignore it).

7 hours ago, kBob said:

Can't you just tell Steam to recognize your KSP installation and add it into your list of programs and then you could use the steam features if you wanted to?  

Not really. It appears in your library, but it's only that. You can't use workshop (if it existed) or achievements (if they existed). It's just another shortcut.

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Not really. It appears in your library, but it's only that. You can't use workshop (if it existed) or achievements (if they existed). It's just another shortcut.

Well that's pretty sloppy work.  Oh well.  Still not sure why people would get upset, I should think if they ever did this they would provide codes for all their users to get it under steam (unless of course they did it in a new version that everyone has to buy).  Anyway I've read from game developers that doing the steam integration for games that weren't designer for it is not trivial so I wouldn't expect something like it unless they come out with a new game.

5 hours ago, kBob said:

Well that's pretty sloppy work.  Oh well.  Still not sure why people would get upset, I should think if they ever did this they would provide codes for all their users to get it under steam (unless of course they did it in a new version that everyone has to buy).  Anyway I've read from game developers that doing the steam integration for games that weren't designer for it is not trivial so I wouldn't expect something like it unless they come out with a new game.

If I remember correctly, Squad do (or did, at least) provide Steam keys for those who bought it under their store, but many chose not to take it...

Regardless, many players bought their copy on GOG.com (and I remember something about it being available somewhere else as well), GOG.com wouldn't be too happy if Squad start handing keys for their competitors for GOG.com users

On 4/30/2018 at 4:29 AM, Gargamel said:

One might pose that question as a purchaser from Steam as well.

3 hours ago, Thiagobs said:

If I remember correctly, Squad do (or did, at least) provide Steam keys for those who bought it under their store, but many chose not to take it...

Regardless, many players bought their copy on GOG.com (and I remember something about it being available somewhere else as well), GOG.com wouldn't be too happy if Squad start handing keys for their competitors for GOG.com users

If they see a benefit to doing so they would take into account any feelings gog might have if Gog even cared (vs. profit and good will of the player community and potential new customers...probably all nicely summed up in a spread sheet).  Or Gog might talk them into providing a slightly discounted non Steam version, who knows.  Probably wouldn't matter as I said most likely this would be in a new version if ever and if they wanted steam integration presumably steam would be their main source for selling it (I've read they are anyway, though I don't know what that is based on).

8 hours ago, Thiagobs said:

I am one of those.  There was no incentive for me to do so, and the offered expired a long time ago apparently. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.