flat kerbin mod request

Hunony

You could use a height map with a very large deformity and a very small initial radius to make a planet roughly disk shaped, but it wouldn't work right, and the game would only consider the shpere that the heigh map is overlaid on to have actual mass. The large extensions caused by the heightmap won't matter for gravity purposes.

It wouldn't work anywhere close to right. Also, I wouldn't want to make a 2d projection of the surface of Kerbin the way cartographers have done for Earth (like the UN symbol), but if you want it... you do it.

Kerbin of infinite very long radius is technically flat.
Probably Kopernicus would allow this.

P.S.
Additional idea.
Inflatable Kerbin. Get it from KIS and inflate wherever you are, instead of return to KSC.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 minute ago, kerbiloid said:

Yes, and any place at Kerbin will be flat. 

I guess....

If Kerbin is infinitely big, then for practical purposes, I guess it would be flat.   But then it would be the size of the entire universe, so there would be no "up", or space, or anything to do but go sideways.....

6 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

But then it would be the size of the entire universe, so there would be no "up", or space, or anything to do but go sideways.....

It can be just VERY big, not necessary infinite.

Spoiler

Society of Almost Flat Earth

Edited by kerbiloid

• 1 month later...

To make this, you would also need to make Kerbin the center of the system and have Kerbol and all the planets go around Kerbin... I wish someone would make the flat Kerbin mod, to the exact specs of flat-tard models just to prove how silly they are..... Then it could change into something actually fun by making it a Discworld mod, put Kerbin on the back of 4 elephants standing on the shell of a giant space turtle - so we can launch missions to find out the turtle's gender? 

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2018 at 6:06 AM, Gargamel said:

Coding challenge.   The KSP engine apparently won't allow disc shaped planets. 

Cause,  physics, ya'know?

Coding challenge accepted .... managed to make a flat asteroid :wink:

As for a planet, not so sure that's gonna go over so well as KSP keeps having a hissy fit ... but oblong asteroids or flat potatoes are totally doable 

A solution I'd propose (though I'm not a coder nor a developer of any sort, but at least I'm trying), is to create a Kerbal Konstruct Structure, that is a massive plane to the size desired to create a 'flat' world. Then, to get gravity and physics working properly, I would place a massive planet underneath the plane, but size and gravity adjusted to fit the plane.

Though there could be a problem with large KK structures or some other issue I'm not seeing, but it's an idea.

I'll draw up a model later today to help explain what I'm thinking the likely sizes required to make it work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.