[dev/beta] Fission Rockets (Spacekiss)

Maffif

@Maffif Alright, the Gas Core Engine is beautiful, however there is a major problem, at full speed when blue cloud near the core start to appear, the frame rate drops to a crawl.

OYTXyC6.jpg

It appears the blue particle effect is causing the drop in frame-rate as it perform well as long as it hasn't fully accelerated

FDVEWp4.jpg

By the way, just curious what is the purpose and logic behind the tiny secondary engines at the sides and how can their isp so high in comparison the the main exhaust?

Edited by FreeThinker

Hi @FreeThinker, thanks for the quick test. The blue glow is supposed to be incredibly subtle (and serve to highlight the function of the shadow shield, a concept I'm rather fond of), thanks for calling the a: dramatic oversaturation and b: performance hit to my attention. I may ditch the idea altogether; even at a low emission I haven't been able to get it quiet/ I know visuals aren't exactly realistic there. 

Before I return from vacation for a new build, it should be fixable by removing any fx tied to "GlowTransform" in the config

The small thrusters are steered pump exhaust for roll control/steering (because the gimbal on the main engine is largely just for show; testing found ksp does not handle gimbal on long engines well at all; instant noodle rocket) 

isp is high because roll control has more utility in KSP than IRL, where the extra fuel wouldn't be wasted

On 12/25/2018 at 4:35 PM, Maffif said:

Hi @FreeThinker, thanks for the quick test. The blue glow is supposed to be incredibly subtle (and serve to highlight the function of the shadow shield, a concept I'm rather fond of), thanks for calling the a: dramatic oversaturation and b: performance hit to my attention. I may ditch the idea altogether; even at a low emission I haven't been able to get it quiet/ I know visuals aren't exactly realistic there. 

Before I return from vacation for a new build, it should be fixable by removing any fx tied to "GlowTransform" in the config

Removing the GlowTransform particle effect indeed seem to fix the problem.

By the way I noticed you gave the NSWR zubrin theoretical upper limit  for NSWR based on 90% enriched uranium (ksp enriched uranium is only rated at 20% given it cost) with an isp 427000 seconds. Plausible but you also combined it with the  thrust of 12750 kN which is problematic to put it mildly. Because that would  make it produce the engine power output of  12750000N * 427000s * 9.81 * 0.5 = 26.7 TerraWatt !  That seems improbably given that the radiation in gamma rays from the nuclear reaction alone would be enough the vaporize the engine.

Edited by FreeThinker

Great mod, love the parts, but I am experiencing some problems. Clean install ksp 1.6. The lightbulb engine isn't able to switch variants, and while selecting them you can see all the models overlapping. Also, I was wondering, is there another mod required for the liquid hydrogen fuel? Nertea's mod maybe?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For planned parts... What about lithium fission rockets or saltwater lithium fission rockets?

(sources: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39844.20 and https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/clean-lithium-fission-saltwater-rocket.863418/)

And positron radioisotope rockets?

(https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/05/positron-dynamics-antimatter-propulsion-drive-update-april-2018.html)

Edited by Angeltxilon

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy this mod.  Just wish it had native tweakscale support.  Also I think it’s this mod which adds the NSWR.  It’s an amazing rocket but it uses the resource water while most mods that use water use the resource lqdwater from the community resource pack which makes it near impossible to find any tanks for water

8 hours ago, captinjoehenry said:

I really enjoy this mod.  Just wish it had native tweakscale support.  Also I think it’s this mod which adds the NSWR.  It’s an amazing rocket but it uses the resource water while most mods that use water use the resource lqdwater from the community resource pack which makes it near impossible to find any tanks for water

Notice that IFS Cryotanks can store lqdWater and has a build in auto converter to convert between Water and LqdWater.

If your intrested I could add a MM script to KSPIE to intergrate SpaceSiss parts into KSPIE

Edited by FreeThinker

Just now, FreeThinker said:

Notice that IFS Cryotanks can store lqdWater and has a build in auto converter to convert between Water and LqdWater.

If your intrested I could add a plans to add a MM script to KSPIE to intergrate SpaceSiss parts into KSPIE

That would be good.  As it is I just edited this mods NSWR to take lqdwater so I can use KSPIE parts for fueling it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2019 at 9:28 AM, captinjoehenry said:

That would be good.  As it is I just edited this mods NSWR to take lqdwater so I can use KSPIE parts for fueling it.

Idealy you would use a configuration that would look something like this

oxBMY9W.png

the Kraken (with KSPIE )  would be combined with Radiactive Fuel container with about 10 ton of Nuclear Salt Water and 40 ton water storage container. Which would be refiled after-half an hour with build in mixer with Enriched Uranium (stored in the Kraken) and Liquid Water in a 1:40 ratio

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.