The Dunatian - BRING HIM HOME

Mikki

Hi there, I reach te DRV and nothing happens. Tried docking to it, driving around, transferring the fuel back to the hab... but nothing seems to trigger the completion. Any suggestions?

Pd: Changed to dock to DRV, it works perfectly and accomplishes the same purpose 

Edited by JONYghost

6 hours ago, JONYghost said:

Hi there, I reach te DRV and nothing happens. Tried docking to it, driving around, transferring the fuel back to the hab... but nothing seems to trigger the completion. Any suggestions?

Pd: Changed to dock to DRV, it works perfectly and accomplishes the same purpose 

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh, hi @JONYghost, glad you got it working... good luck! :D

Edited by Mikki
typo:D

On 10/8/2018 at 5:55 PM, Mikki said:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh, hi @JONYghost, glad you got it working... good luck! :D

Yes, I modified the mission by changing the reaching DRV Node to a Dock with DRV Node. The rest went for the most part perfectly, great mission @Mikki Consider changing it in version 2.5 as it mitigates that issue :D

On 10/11/2018 at 4:20 AM, JONYghost said:

Yes, I modified the mission by changing the reaching DRV Node to a Dock with DRV Node. The rest went for the most part perfectly, great mission @Mikki Consider changing it in version 2.5 as it mitigates that issue :D

Yes, likely your issue was not completing the previous node which is to do an EVA report.

• 2 weeks later...

So far this is an awesome mission. Great work.

However, I cant see myself dedicating the time required to rover 60km. Thats like hours of ksp driving isnt it? 

Excellent work for real though.

Edit: Completed the mission and I think the long haul on Duna added to the feeling of accomplishment.  

Edited by Cawdeen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mikki,

I have been trying out the mission, and I ran into a problem. Firstly, when I was told to launch the supply craft for the KRES, it didn't say to land it yet, so I made an assumption and landed it near the KRES. But later in the mission, it said to land it near the marker (12km radius). So I launched it again and sent it about 1.8km from the marker by the HAB. But the task never got ticked off. It also looks like that is the last task as by scrolling down, it only goes that far. But what about sending the Kermes, or taking off from Duna? Please, can you help me figure out what is wrong? Thanks.

-C7 Aerospace Division

On 11/11/2018 at 12:06 PM, C7 Aerospace Division said:

Hi Mikki,

I have been trying out the mission, and I ran into a problem. Firstly, when I was told to launch the supply craft for the KRES, it didn't say to land it yet, so I made an assumption and landed it near the KRES. ...

Hi @C7 Aerospace Division

I assume you could read closer the ingame messages and the mainthread. :wink: They provide further advice.

I`m okay if you consider me a real bad english speaker, please excuse if this is the case.

"The Dunatian" follows Andy Weir`s cinematic "The Martian" in a way that fits Kerbal lore and gamemechanics, it does deviate in some ways and adds additional tasks at the point where the motion picture allready ended, it can be a fairly difficult mission for people who haven`t seen "The Martian"...

To the issue of "Kres":
KRES IV (4) is a unused Ascendvehicle from a former mission located at the "Skiapparellicrater". Part of the rescue plan.
KRES V (5) is the rescue missionprobe to secure Bob`s supply with LFO (Liquidfuel and oxidizer in the dumpling tank). It is stated at several messages ingame where the probe should favourable be dropped, which is close to the habitat and at least 12 km away from it.

I hope you give the mission another try and watch "The Martian", if you didn`t allready!

You need some snacks to pull this mission, believe me!

Kind regards Mikki :)

PS: Alot of the missiongoals are hidden at the beginning, they appear after a certain point to discourage errr to motivate you...:D They aswell disappear again at the end of the mission, there is quite alot to do...

Edited by Mikki
typo:D, spell, PS

Hi @Dexter_D :)

Glad you`re still around... You have become a rather famous and important character in this MH Mission! Lots and lots of people have dl`d from Steam and i am wondering how many of them have truely pulled Bob back home until now... Cheerz! :D

...uhhmm... and @C7 Aerospace Division, welcome to the forums!! Are you really new or just a new PC/ location with another name? You seem to have a relative forumer or it`s just by chance :rolleyes:...!? 

Edited by Mikki

Yeah @Mikki I look for new posts here every now and then. Also glad for you to get such great feedback from the community. I hope ksp gets some life support functionality in the future, to make the mission even more cruel.:rolleyes:

Edited by Dexter_D

On 11/14/2018 at 7:08 PM, Dexter_D said:

Yeah @Mikki I look for new posts here every now and then. Also glad for you to get such great feedback from the community. I hope ksp gets some life support functionality in the future, to make the mission even more cruel.:rolleyes:

Stock lifesupport, ... that would be great...! Hey SQUAD! look! No hands errm lifesupport!?! :0.0:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

l0z4Jxo.png

I dids it!

I've mostly been playing on a heavily modded 1.3.1 install but this mission inspired me to buy the Making History expansion and it was great.

Odd playing stock though. Not having to worry about life support was handy - especially as my return from Duna to Kerbin took two orbits around Kerbol.

For this one I went with the prefab vehicles and the extra dv over the bare minimum was most handy.

I didn't go for a direct ascent from Duna to the Kermes -- not being able to set manuver/intercept nodes from the ground makes that hard. I only did a single whip around Duna to intercept though.

I forgot how difficult not being able to see one's PeR and ApR from the flight screen is though, trying to fly from the map screen did result in one of my launches tumbling end over end but there was enough dV in the tanks to recover it with burst of thrust when pointing at space and shutting the throttle when the up end was pointing down :D

I had ummed and ahhed about getting MH - especially as most of the mods I have add a lot of the extra parts (or at least similar). Just this one mission run though has fully justified the purchase.

Most thoughts tomorrow but I currently have chocolate to eat and a film to watch.

Happy New Year both.

The science was more habit than anything else. 

I will admit to quick saving a bunch but the only reloads I needed were when getting a bit reckless when roving to the ascent vehicle. Exploding the rover is sub optimal.

I did muck up the rove a bit. I caterpillared the rovers planning to run off the fuel cell and dump that rover once the tanks were dry. Alas due to either a fuel flow mistake or a fluff up in the VAB the resupply ship landed with a dumpling tank with barely any LF or O. Add a result I started the rover trip with about 3 units of LF and a full allowance of O.

I could have gone back to my predrop save and transferred some fuel before decoupling the deorbit motor but I was so pleased with landing less than 2.5km of the hab on my first try...

It just meant the drive had a few stops to let the RTG fill the battery.

Ace mission. Just ace.

On 12/31/2018 at 10:23 PM, Ashaman42 said:

Happy New Year both.

...Alas due to either a fuel flow mistake or a fluff up in the VAB the resupply ship landed with a dumpling tank with barely any LF or O. ...

@Ashaman42, hi there, thank you for your cool feedback playing Bob as the "Dunatian"... :) :lol:

People cannot imagine all the background research i made on the cinematic, my goal was to "Kerbalize" the mood and design of the sometimes just partially visible film setups... the various locations on Duna are well determined to ensure a challenging but still rewarding mission progress, there are many small but VERY important details and (late) game mechanics involved to make it a true mindbending "custom singleplayer adventure".

To quote your fuelsupply on the (prefabricated) Kaijang-Khen KRES V.. i remember remotely that the tank is not full when loaded to the VAB... ;)

Still possible to reach out for the KRES-IV Ascendvehicle, but very tight. Really tight. Sorry. :cool:

Happy new Year to all the true Bob`s out there!

Potatoes! Yeah! And Snacks!

Edited by Mikki
typo:D, KRES V

• 3 months later...

I want to thank all the Stock KSP Fans for over 6000 Downloads at least from Steam Workshop.

If i knew then how popular this would once become... :lol: 

Please post a pic if you can bring Bob back home, cake or death!

"Cake or Death? - Umm, Death please, errr, no, cake! Cake please!"

Edited by Mikki
Umm

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Tonkabot said:

I'm learning how to fly, and I was wondering where the KRES V files are kept in the Dunation mission - I'd like to copy it into my sandbox and practice flying it

Hi there, open your KSP folder/ Missions/ The Dunatian 2.4/ Ships/ VAB

Hope this helped

:) And welcome to the forums, great time to join!

Edited by Mikki