Are part retextures/recolors allowed?

KerikBalm

So I duplicated some stock parts and modded the .cfg files to make parts that serve a new purpose. Then I realized that I didn't need to duplicate the model and texture files, I could reference the original ones, and thus made parts like these:

4G8GOSq.png

yZhuce0.png

I assume I could distribute these .cfgs as its just a text file (although a substantial part of the .cfg file is the same as the one made by Squad), and the model and textures aren't distributed

The obvious problem here is that they look identical in the parts menu.

So I did some part recoloring by duplicating and modifying the color of the part file, so that they are visually distinguishable from the original part:

MMRgmMq.png

This engine was supposed to represent a Ram-Rocket engine, with thrust augmentation/higher Isp between 0.4 mach and mach 5 in the atmosphere (requires IntakeAtm from the community resources pack)

V6CaHCY.png

And this (hopefully) obviously is a part meant for use underwater (requires IntakeLqd from the community resources pack)

Would I be allowed to distribute these files? The 3-d model would not be distributed, but a texture file and .cfg file derived from squad parts would be distributed.

You can also use the partvariant system to add a shade of color to any part, selectable via the PAW.  No new textures required, no new parts.  Check out how this guy has done it, very slick implementation: 

Well, I've tried the stuff using module manager and part variants, but it doesn't give me the flexibility I want.

Its fine if the parts are all just shades of grey/white/black, but it doesn't work so well with parts that already have colors.

For example, TAC life support uses water and food resources, but doesn't give one any way to produce those resources (well you can recycle waste water, into water with several percent loss, but nothing for food).

So I wanted to recolor the Ore drill to make a new part, the water/Ice drill, and also add a greenhouse part.

AAaGqcI.png

So this was more than just adding a tint. For the drills, I swapped the red and blue color channels (although since taking that pic, I figured that it was a bit too blue, and lowered the saturation by 33%). For the lab/Greenhouse, I swapped the blue and green color channels so that the windows would be blue and not green... that messed up the yellow/black stripes by the hatch, but that was fairly easy to fix "by hand". Then I added an additional slight green tint to more easily distinguish it in the parts menu (since it rotates, and if the windows weren't visible, you couldn't tell it apart)/ from angles where the windows aren't visible.

When I used the part tint, particularly on the drills, the orange color remained, and blue got added on top of it, which also turned the grey areas blue... etc... it doesn't give the effect I want.

I guess that I'm not allowed to share these files

Edited by KerikBalm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.