M-Industries

quadro7f

Are you interested in this project?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in this project?

• Hell yeah!
    • No

Yesterday was epic storm here, over city, and one powerfull lightening taken down internet hub, so i couldn't answer, because of internet connection destruction, but anyway, during those dark times, i completed nose section. All rcs thrusters works fine now, collision and structural integrity are perfect. Right now i tweaking textures once more time, plus i need to create bump maps for all parts (so many work for me :( ).

Screenshot_429.jpg

There is some bad news as well - sounds for RCS thrusters doesn't work. Does anybody know how to turn on sounds for them?

Why people saying about performance issues? Performance isn't issue at all! Even HD textures 2048x2048 works very smooth so far. Of course, there is no bump maps yet, but this shouldn't be a problem at all. I watching very carefully on all aspects of this mod.

Dont worry. I just trying to say what there is no point to create second CSS-like shuttle, because we already have one. CSS is very good shuttle, easy to construct, with good aerodynamics and excellent engines, plus you can download it right now. I mean, i using another approach - more customizability and more attention to details, with ability to create you own shuttle design with lots of plugins for maximum experience, challenge and fun. That's the main idea, anyway.

P.S. If somebody interested, i am making development live streams, so you can actually see full creation process from scratch till game.

When will you be streaming? I would love to watch! I am a new modder and would love to see how parts get modeled, etc.

From what I understand more parts = more calculations (it does calculate the physics for each part, right?) and due to the game being restricted to a single core, even people with very good PC's can take a hit from this.

Thats why a "lightweight" version of it thats pre-build would be useful to users with low end computers, I shouldn't have a problem with it.

Another problem is if you have a lot of mods, high res textures make more difference than you might think, but again, this shouldn't be an issue because turning down the resolution on a texture is easy, and most people probably won't have problem with it.

I was just adding my 2 cents, looking forward to release of this greatly, it is something I have wanted to see in KSP for a long time.

I have one question though, when docking is put in, or a mod to do it is made (as shown by that video posted a few days ago), where would the docking port be on the different configs? I'm not even completely sure where it is on the space shuttle xD

You are correct, more parts - more calculations. But i creating special low-poly meshes, and shuttle will contain not so much parts, actually, i would say their number will be equal to avarage mun's rocket created using stock parts (like 10-15 +extra mod ones if required). There also will be several texture packs, x2048 and x1024 for sure. Maybe i will release x512 if needed. That means if you can build mun rocket and fly it with no problems atm then there will be no problems with USTS as well. At least i trying to do so.

I didnt seen that video. Can you post a link?

Here is how docking port looks like on shuttles:

p58.jpg

595901main_2006_09_12_2_full.jpg

And here is some vital tests on gears and crowler-tower launch system:

Landing gear tests, with carts plugin. I using CSS parts to simulate the rest of the shuttle :D

Screenshot_431.jpg

Screenshot_434.jpg

And here is crowler concept tests, using stock parts.

Screenshot_437.jpg

Screenshot_441.jpg

Screenshot_449.jpg

Screenshot_454.jpg

Screenshot_455.jpg

Tests results:

1. Possibility of using carts as landing gears - confirmed, needs more tests.

2. Smoth touchy-touch gears behavior - confirmed.

3. Crowler concept - confurmed.

4. Crowler steering system using carts controls - busted, needs more tests.

5. Crowler steering system using servo module - confurmed.

6. Tower building possibility using parts on top of crowler - confurmed.

7. Safe boarding and lauching possibilities - confurmed.

8. Rocket refueling before launch - confurmed.

9. Moving all this crazy stuff around space center without death accidents and crashing (aka 'oh yeah, there will be blood") - confurmed.

UPD:

are the RCS nozzles modeled or just bump/normal mapped??

Nozzles modeled (cones), and some diffuse maps on them. Normal maps are not done yet.

When will you be streaming? I would love to watch! I am a new modder and would love to see how parts get modeled, etc.

I cant say, its all depends on free time. Here is my channel: http://twitch.tv/quadrovf You can find some previous videos in archive.

Edited by quadro7f

It won't work that way with any existing vehicle at the moment. The vehicles only put a lot of torque on the frame until something brakes.

Aye, but servo's circular disks works great. Even only 2 of them in front or backside provides really great control other platform steering, as far as you moving of course (even with little speed).

I thinking about this scheme:

proto1.jpg

I'm worried that it could break under extreme weights in that config, though larger rockets should be able to sustain themselves, I suppose.

Also I PMed you that link.

Rgr, thanx.

The platform itself will be as 1 big part, so it shouldn't break (in theory - :D)

Aye, but servo's circular disks works great. Even only 2 of them in front or backside provides really great control other platform steering, as far as you moving of course (even with little speed).

I thinking about this scheme:

..snip..

Did you create those yourself or are they in some mod pack?

Did you create those yourself or are they in some mod pack?

For tests i used part, called "Ratatron" from Damned Robotics pack, based on "MuMechServo" plugin.

2bq_MW.jpg

Of course, i gonna make my own extra-big heavy-duty parts, specially for crawler. But main principle will be the same (if no other, better options will be found).

I already made some similar parts and sucessfully tested with that plugin - all works perfect.

Shuttle's cargobay doors will be use the same module, but dirrerent scheme. I need test them in flight, to be sure what this is best solution for them as well.

I have some issues with MuMech plugin, looks like there some glitch with fuel indication. When you use some fuel and then change vessels, the fuels indicator shows 100% again. This could cause some problems with fuel planning during flight, so i trying to find a better solution. Atm i testing plugin by Kellvonic Imperial Spaceyard, which can provide same functions.

It's not a bug with the fuel mass, it's just that it takes the current state as full if you focus it because it doesn't save the max amount, so the only thing that changed is the maximum for the fuel indicator.

If you're not going to recharge them, then there should be no problem using them.

Ok, KIS's plugin doesn't work at all.

It's not a bug with the fuel mass, it's just that it takes the current state as full if you focus it because it doesn't save the max amount, so the only thing that changed is the maximum for the fuel indicator.

If you're not going to recharge them, then there should be no problem using them.

I see, atm it's more like relative fuel indicator than absolute. Anyway this is some kinda strange for players, because you never know you actual fuel quantity then switching vessels. If only indication could show actrual liters instead of just bar...

Btw, recharge possibilities will be for batteries using apu units by consuming fuel, so i think there shouldn't be problems for tanks.

Edited by quadro7f

I see, atm it's more like relative fuel indicator than absolute. Anyway this is some kinda strange for players, because you never know you actual fuel quantity then switching vessels. If only indication could show actrual liters instead of just bar...

In the past there has been a mod which displayed the number of liters remaining in the tank over the bar. It was called ImprovedFuelGauges. I don't know if it is still available.

Edit: The plugin is still available http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46530390/ImprovedFuelGauges.zip

It only works for standard fuel...

I once made better tanks but didn't come to making engines until I completely broke it, and it whould take some time to see if it was a KSP bug or me that destroyed it.

...I'm still trying to figure out why the VB engine and VB tank won't play nice.

I'm a little confused, whats the issue? The game is not updating the display for the fuel gauge on the liquid engines?

EDIT: To clarify, what I meant is it returning the gauge to a full, relative to the tanks current state.

Meaning, you use half your fuel, switch vessels, the gauge now shows you have full fuel, you use another half, you now have a quarter left?

Yes, just a display glitch, but it's annoying that you can't know how much fuel you have left because there's no way to find the number (there's no context menu on old MuMech fueltanks sadly.

>dishycourier

I wanted it to be a generic n-resource tank and a part module engine that whould also replace the existing ion engine part type.

The battery and the engine in the energy plugin are a special case, and I tried to use my experience with them to make the generic stuff. I'm still thinking about working on it again, I have a new mod idea that whould require persistent part resources too.

Edit: Just for the record, it didn't work because I had a typo in a config file, the plugin was fine.

Edited by Kreuzung

Meaning, you use half your fuel, switch vessels, the gauge now shows you have full fuel, you use another half, you now have a quarter left?

That's right.

Anyway, i think this is no big deal, because you can easily see how fast it drains fuel and make a conclusion about fuel's quantity based on this. But i still hope what new MuMech version will fix this.

I wanted it to be a generic n-resource tank and a part module engine that whould also replace the existing ion engine part type.

The battery and the engine in the energy plugin are a special case, and I tried to use my experience with them to make the generic stuff. I'm still thinking about working on it again, I have a new mod idea that whould require persistent part resources too.

That would be awesome =)

P.S. Since now, each USTS's part uses 4 textures, based on "KSP/Emissive/Bumped Specular" shader =P

Edited by quadro7f

There may be no context menu, but isn't the data value still stored in the part file/save?

EDIT: If it is, then making a plugin to read display that might be possible, but then again I'm no coder.

I have feeling what it's time for me to start learning how to code things and create a plugins ^_^

P.S. I have to stop all development on project, till the moment when i get back to the city. I cant say when this will happen, sry about that.

P.S.S. Removed Orion shuttle and Nuclear Plane projects (no one interested in them, so me either). Added RT01 Transport to future projects and Mars Landers to Possible Projects.

Jeb showing his superior skills by landing shuttle at desert on some unknown blue planet:

USTS_Crush_Landing.jpg

Original image by LeiJinArt

Edited by quadro7f

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.