No mods = no witty sayings/loading screens

So I noticed with 1.4.x that if I have no mods installed, I don't get to see the witty sayings & loading screens. It just goes direct from the Take Two screen to the menu.

Not a huge deal obviously, but is this meant to be the case?

A lot of mods add their own witty sayings. That said, you should still be getting the stock Squad sayings.

Of course, I haven't played 1.4 yet, so it's entirely possible that that was taken out altogether without me knowing about it.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Maybe you have a good enough computer that KSP loads so fast without mods that it is loaded before those 18 splash screens stop displaying

Yeah, I guess. It's just a 3.4GHz i7-3770 but it's got an SSD and 32GB RAM, so KSP gets completely cached from disk. The drive activity light doesn't even flicker.

11 minutes ago, GeneCash said:

Yeah, I guess. It's just a 3.4GHz i7-3770 but it's got an SSD and 32GB RAM, so KSP gets completely cached from disk. The drive activity light doesn't even flicker.

:confused: its just? You know when its time to upgrade when people start calling i7s its just :D.

Edited by Boyster

Well it is a 6 year old PC... I figured by now it'd be as antiquated as a Commodore 64, but it doesn't look like things have moved that much in 6 years.

It sure has taught me a lot about water cooling (which I do for quiet, not for speed) - one fact being that water and nvidia graphics cards do not mix.

The CPU & motherboard don't mind being flooded... but one drip on the GTX and it's quittin' time.

Turns out it's Module Manager... with it, all the logos fly by in 10 seconds, counting from hitting enter on the command to start KSP. Without it, it takes 32 seconds. Interesting.

4 hours ago, GeneCash said:

Turns out it's Module Manager... with it, all the logos fly by in 10 seconds, counting from hitting enter on the command to start KSP. Without it, it takes 32 seconds. Interesting.

If there was a dislike button.... I have 15 minute load times.....  :mad:

10 hours ago, GeneCash said:

Well it is a 6 year old PC

And a '65 Mustang with a a 500hp engine is a 50 year old car, but still fast as heck. 

How about if I say I only spent about $1K on it at NewEgg, minus the graphics card & extra monitor that I added later? :sticktongue:

Well if it helps, this is also my work PC, so it's got to handle 2 or 3 VirtualBox VMs or maybe an Oracle database running.

Plus, I was surprised myself to see how much a ton of memory helps. I spent the bucks on 32GB instead of a faster CPU because I remember such an argument about upgrading my TRS-80 from 4K to 16K and for ages I wanted to be able to say "well my PC has 32GB in it!" - my mother's Honeywell & IBM mainframes had only 4K so she could not see why anyone would need more.

So since I'm not running anything else other than Pale Moon & email, Linux caches all of KSP from disk in memory because what ever RAM you're not using... Linux uses as disk cache.

xosview says I'm using only 3.5GB right now so there's 28GB cache.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.