why do you play this?

putnamto

A quick aside, do you "play" KSP? It's not really a game, is it?

Anyhoo, I started playing it just after it hit early access and you had about 50 parts to play with. It was amazing. I could build all the things I used to draw...my first steps in rocket design took place on a real drawing board because there was no such thing as a home computer. If that wasn't enough you can fly what you build and perform 'missions' just to see if the design will do what you wanted it to. What other reasons would you need? 

It is real geek-fodder. The other reason I mess with it so much is that it is part of my post-stroke recovery. Prescribed too.

Overall, I am not a computer games player. Apart from KSP I only play MoW2/CtA and Astroneer.

1 hour ago, dr.phibes said:

It's not really a game, is it?

It certainly is.  I've never considered KSP a simulator - it's not realistic enough for that.  There are mods to make it more realistic, but at it's core, stock KSP is a goofy game with some education behind it.

On 5/29/2018 at 12:21 PM, Geonovast said:

It certainly is.  I've never considered KSP a simulator - it's not realistic enough for that.  There are mods to make it more realistic, but at it's core, stock KSP is a goofy game with some education behind it.

I'd give the base game a higher realism score if you compare it to other games/sims - I'm looking at the physics model, how craft are assembled, etc, not whether the terrain looks real. Out of all the space games I've ever seen, there's only a few that are more realistic...That counts for something. :)

I play this because it chills me the funk out.

I'm a gamer for sure, I suppose if it wasn't for that I can still muster up the bare minumum of energy to function in the real world, I could be considered an actual videogame addict. So I've played alot of games and most of them involved hastily running around, killing a thing, running somewhere else and starting over because time's up. Or life's up. Or ammo's up. 

Though entertaining, I find it tremendously relaxing to watch a docking sequence, or just to see something I built float through space. Best thing is that ever since I moved from PS4 to PC I can just have MechJeb do the work for me while I enjoy the ride.

@Dexter249 - I totally agree with you about making aircraft. I was messing with some parts and spent an hour putting a plane together. It looked pretty good, but it only flew from the end of the runway into the sea. Partial success? Hats off to the plane designers.

@Geonovast - well, it is a simulator. It simulates flying stuff!

@Gerneral Apocalypse - points 1 & 2 are on target. Elon Musk worries me.

@Tyce - what other games are there? (I do love Astroneer)

@Bakkerbaard - " and most of them involved hastily running around, killing a thing, running somewhere else and starting over because time's up. Or life's up. Or ammo's up", sounds too much like my old job if you ask me! MechJeb is the conkers and without it I would not have as much fun either, but I am getting better at docking. The 'floating' aspect certainly gets you...add some Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schultze and you have a great night.

Edited by dr.phibes

I play ksp because I'm a spaceflight nerd.

I play because this is probably the closest I'm ever going to get to commanding a space program.

I play because landing another probe on another planet is something I feel good about.

I play because not much other spaceflight games go into such detail. I mean, this is a simulation of an entire solar system. You can get even more planets via planet packs and mods.

I play because it is an educational experience. I learned a lot about orbital mechanics. Before I played the game, I had no idea how to pull off a rendezvous. Now, docking is trivial to me.

Though I don't consider myself skilled- I haven't sent kerbals anywhere farther than than the Mun, Minmus and Duna- I think this game is fun, and I like it.

That's why I play.

I created this account in October 2011 and I have been playing off and on since then. The game does get tedious and I feel like the bugs are what makes it fun though. Back in 2013ish there was a bug and you could make what we called Kraken drives. You were able to use the power of the Kraken to move a rocket without any fuel and we held a challenge where people had to make a kraken drive that was the smallest that could lift the most. Instead of looking at bugs in a negative way, look at them in a positive way and you'll find that the game will be a ton more fun. Also if you need a break, take a break. Come back and the game will be fun again :)

At the risk of being that guy, what bugs? Aside from modded content not always working as expected, I haven't really had any in my current playthrough, and I'm doing some pretty weird stuff...

I play it because it is creative, thoughtful, mellow, and doesn't have guns. 

On 5/29/2018 at 9:39 PM, Dexter249 said:

I play because I try to create nonsensical things.

even though I play flight sim, I still have yet to make a sucessful plane.

rockets on the other hand.

yeah I link exploding things.

I do it for the same reason!

Edited by lyndon

19 hours ago, eddiew said:

At the risk of being that guy, what bugs? Aside from modded content not always working as expected, I haven't really had any in my current playthrough, and I'm doing some pretty weird stuff...

I play it because it is creative, thoughtful, mellow, and doesn't have guns. 

You're not seeing the shroud issues? On stock 1.4.3 shrouds on engines and heatshields don't line up with the rocket stack properly. Also, I'm pretty sure there are still issues with Fairings and drag.

I play with older versions to avoid the bugs, or just play with alot of mods, so it sort of masks all the stock bugs. Kinda like how you can scream to dampen the sound of velcro.

As for why i play KSP, i play KSP because i occasionally have concepts and ideas i want to test out. I don't really play KSP that much anymore for pure fun, but also to gather a bit more knowledge about space.

11 hours ago, Tyko said:

On stock 1.4.3 shrouds on engines and heatshields don't line up with the rocket stack properly.

To me, that is not a new bug.  I've seen that happen since at least 1.3 and 1.2.  (Modded games.  It might have happened in stock as well, but I don't play much stock KSP).  To me, it's just a visual glitch, with no gameplay effect.

13 hours ago, AVaughan said:

To me, that is not a new bug.  I've seen that happen since at least 1.3 and 1.2.  (Modded games.  It might have happened in stock as well, but I don't play much stock KSP).  To me, it's just a visual glitch, with no gameplay effect.

This is a new issue in 1.4.3 (it wasn't in 1.4.2) that affects all shrouds all the time - stock and non-stock. I'm familiar with the bug you're talking about, but it kind of appeared randomly and only occasionally.

EDIT: As a side-note, the mod Decoupler Shroud doesn't experience the same bug with its shrouds, so wherever possible I'm removing the stock shrouds and using Decoupler Shroud instead.

Edited by Tyko

I play it because to me it is the best game I ever played. I never spent so many hours in any other game that’s for sure, and certainly it ain’t for no reason. I was a Lego builder when younger and this brings me the same sense of achievement when I successfully launch something to space.  Additionally, it has an amazing community and mod makers, which allows you to play completely different games based on which mods you chose. 

To my taste, KSP has a nice balance between fun and realism, and accomplished many things really well. Since it has a very large scope, it is natural that bugs exists, although I completely agree that things could be improved.

• 4 weeks later...

Because nothing fills my heart with joy more than building a complex rocket, tuning it to structural and performance perfection across dozens of iterative launches using MechJeb, and going to bed satisfied by a rocket well-built. Then coming back the next day, excited, and watching it flip end-over-end for no freaking explainable reason until I pull it all apart and start over.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.