why do you play this?

putnamto

30 minutes ago, putnamto said:

what kind of engines did you use to land the surface station? i cant tell from the picture? ants?

It's a 7 engine monoprop cluster from the Near Future Mod pack.  I've kinda fallen in love with the monoprop engines from NF for most everything within kerbin's SOI (except launches), it tends to help simplify ship building.  I plop one large tank on the craft and it fuels everything.  Yes, I know I'm giving up a touch of efficiency in some cases, but the trade off for simplicity and reduced part count is worth it. 

So yeah, that's a 3.75m mono tank with a tweakscaled 2.5m monoprop engine.  There is a really nice 3.75m mono engine in the pack, but it's too tall for this application.  I needed the base of the engine to stay clear of the ground as the station started to fall, else it might act as a pivot and the station might not come down square. 

5 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Or do you mean the Ground base I was building?   glad you asked!  I do the land, tip, pucker, and pray method. 

I'm picturing this happening in a real mission -

KSC, we're in position and ready to execute Tip maneuver.

Stations, are we a go for Tip maneuver?

Go, GO, go, gO, GO!, Go...

Flight, you are go for Tip maneuver.

Roger KSC, executing Tip maneuver in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...Tipping commencing

Flight, prepare to execute pucker maneuver

That's a roger KSC, Jeb's at the controls and we are already puckered :) 

Edited by Tyko

On 4/30/2018 at 7:44 PM, putnamto said:

its just a series of bugs after bugs after bugs, every single action even done a thousand times becomes a headache.

Because I play stock, and therefore don't suffer 95% of the bugs peple try and blame on stock.

Landing gear bounce?  Happened once.

Phantom forces?  Very rare, and when it happens, I can usually tell what I did wrong.  (Never clip docking ports.)

Crashes?  Never, ever.

True, stock is buggy. However most of the bugs are only revealed when the game is under abnormal  pressure or being modded. Or just after release, and those usually get ironed out soon enough, and in the mean time sometimes it’s fun to just think of ways to get around them or just straight up exploit it. Part of the fun for me at least.

That’s frankly pretty normal for games and programs in general. I mean, even google chrome goes full kraken if you try running it on a potato, open too many tabs, or start installing a few too many extensions.

Come to think of it, I think my google crash rate is higher than ksp... and they are usually open at the same time. Hmmm. 

As for the bounce gears, and phantom forces? #krakendrive 

No seriously I’ve seen some good ones. Pretty sure there was one with an on off switch. Made my day.

2 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

As for the bounce gears, and phantom forces? #krakendrive 

No seriously I’ve seen some good ones. Pretty sure there was one with an on off switch. Made my day.

Dude, have you seen the ladder drive!?  It's amazing!  Kerbal-powered flight!  Climb your way to space!

Why do I play this?

Because I'm retired, and I can..... plus it's fun and a challenge.

On 5/4/2018 at 2:42 PM, Corona688 said:

Dude, have you seen the ladder drive!?  It's amazing!  Kerbal-powered flight!  Climb your way to space!

Yes, I built one and tested it recently... posted pictures of it (somewhere) in the 'What did you do in KSP today?' thread. I took it out to the orbit of Mun and back home.

4 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Kinda want to see a video of how that worked.  Was the explosion sufficiently large?

The fact that my sig is a quote from a post of his should answer your question.   Go dig through his posts of a couple years ago.  My CPU melted just reading them (and his did literally IIRC).

@putnamto, are you feeling better yet? 

@Gargamel 

much better, i have a problem stepping away from things for a second when i cant figure it out, i let myself get extremely worked up over nothing most of the time.

thank you guys.

edit: docking ports are kind of amazing once you know how to use them, i had sent a science lab up to LKO just to get a hang of using the thing with EVA reports, and luckily i had put a docking port on it.

i just finished up docking a ship to it so i could use KAS to add more science gizmos to it.

Edited by putnamto

1. It is the game I have been waiting for since my floppy disks failed and the 1541's drive heads misaligned. "Project: Space Station" you shall be mourned and missed. *pours a cold one on the floor*

2. I have a story to tell. <cues up... something epic, rocking, with some orchestral bombing, kind of like if "The Transformers Theme" by Lion, Hans Zimmer, John Williams, and Nobuo Uematsu, were trying to out epic each other, and succeeding>

On 5/8/2018 at 7:16 AM, steuben said:

1. It is the game I have been waiting for since my floppy disks failed and the 1541's drive heads misaligned. "Project: Space Station" you shall be mourned and missed. *pours a cold one on the floor*

That game looks eerily familiar.  Whoever designed Destination: Mars obviously played it.  But they replaced the best bits with a flash card game.

Edited by Corona688

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, putnamto said:

why havent you put the game down yet?

Before I begin this bullet-form rant, understand that I'm an old-timer who started off on a Commodore 64 and have been involved with internet-related antics since the late 1990s. I've lived through the original Doom series, the X-Wing series, the Final Fantasy series up to VI, other early JRPGs, and one (only one!) MMO that shall remain unnamed because griefing and Java.  So my views may be considerably jaded.

Let's begin: I haven't put Kerbal Space Program down since version 1.0.5 because:

• Online multiplayer is toxic. There is no online multiplayer and it has a Pause button.
  • Current games require 'always online' connections. At least I can trick KSP out of its 'red shell.'
  • No digital rights manglement [sp]. This means no administrator access required.
  • No micro-transactions.
  • Time actually stops when I quit the game. No shop keeping to fuss about.
  • No overzealous publisher with excessive copyright claims on game play videos. At least, not yet.
  • Other players are friendly. Finally, a forum not full of toxic [censored].
  • Shortcomings in the game get overcome by add-on makers. Publisher encourages them. At least, so far.
  • Even if the game world gets boring, there are other game worlds to explore because Kopernicus.

I spent more money on add-on developers via contributions than I have on any other game the past two years. If the quality of play arguments aren't enough, the financial arguments should seal it.

And that is why I haven't put it down yet.

Sorry I am very late in my replies. 

On 5/7/2018 at 10:32 PM, Mark Kerbin said:

Kinda want to see a video of how that worked.  Was the explosion sufficiently large?

On 5/8/2018 at 6:53 AM, putnamto said:

what exactly was the plan with this if you dont mind me asking lol

I shall answer both with a few screenshots.

When it failed:

Vx1ncFt.jpg

0RaRShw.jpg

When it worked:

MeU3Yc6.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.