[1.12.x] Diazo's Landing Height

Forum user @Diazo made this wonderful little modlet a long time ago, but he hasn't been around since July, 2017.  So I've adopted it

Landing Height

Found on the CKAN as Diazo's Landing Height Display (soon)

Found on Spacedock as Diazo's Landing Height

Caution: This mod only affects the altimeter display at the top of the screen, it does not change the altitude at which equipment operates. So if a parachute is set to open at 500m ASL, the parachute will still open at 500M ASL, not when this mod causes the altimeter on the screen to display 500m.

Show the distance from the bottom of your vessel, not the center of mass, to the ground below you.

Land on the dark side of the Mun with confidence.

6vs1sPq.jpg

New Version 2.0: Mode Display

yZ8xvJJ.png

AGL: Altimeter showing distance to ground/object below vessel.

ASL: Altimeter showing distance to sea level.

Green Text or no text visible: Automatic mode based on Surface or Orbital mode as displayed just above nav-ball.

Red Text: Mode locked, will always stay in the displayed mode.

Click inside the red box to change mode, this is a game-wide setting. Due to oddities in how the UI works I could not make the entire altimeter clickable, just the left side. (Red box is not visible in-game.)

Notes:

1) To make it clear when touchdown happens but you can't tell because of the lighting, a displayed altitude of 0meter means a part of your vessel is touching the ground (or water if over the ocean). A displayed altitude of 1meter or higher means no part of your vessel is touching the ground.

2) Any mod that extends parts, such as the winches in KAS, are detected by this mod. For example, if you are lowering a KAS winch, this mod will report the altitude from the bottom of the winch head being lowered as that is the lowest part of the vessel. This is working as designed and the player needs to be aware of it happening when using such equipment.

3) The raycast checks the current vessel to determine if the part hit is valid or not. Vessels connected by some method, such as a fueling hose, may be considered one vessel by this mod and could cause unexpected values to be displayed.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This was my gateway mod - the very first mod I installed as a player.  Without this mod, it possible that Contract Configurator and all the mods I've made would never have happened.

So thanks for bringing this one back!

On 5/4/2018 at 6:16 PM, Gordon Dry said:

@linuxgurugamer I loaded a vessel in Minmus orbit after the amount of days for a contract were reached and then I saw this:
rmnWO2o.png

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4ekv01xoe5ylyc/2018-05-05_1 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

Very strange.  I looked at the log, and did see some exceptions from the ClickThroughBlocker, but nothing from the Landing height Display.

Can you be more specific, such as a series of specific steps I could do to replicat this?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Warezcrawler said:

Funny thing. I just post a couple of unofficial builds of those...

Well, if you want to do them, that's fine by me.  

But one of the things I would be doing is adding support for the ClickThroughBlocker (for both), and the ToolbarController(for the RCSLandAid).

Let me know

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Well, if you want to do them, that's fine by me.  

But one of the things I would be doing is adding support for the ClickThroughBlocker (for both), and the ToolbarController(for the RCSLandAid).

Let me know

I will think about it (not hurry since the community now have a build that should work), I will probably not add those dependencies though... Not yet anyways. I'm not at you level when it comes to coding UI.

On 5/6/2018 at 3:28 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Can you be more specific, such as a series of specific steps I could do to replicat this?

This seems to only happen when the actual stage's engine uses MonoPropellant, like OMS kit.

MechJeb also has issues with that.

On 5/6/2018 at 11:59 AM, Warezcrawler said:

I will think about it (not hurry since the community now have a build that should work), I will probably not add those dependencies though... Not yet anyways. I'm not at you level when it comes to coding UI.

So, you are going to continue them, or was this as one time build? 

It makes a difference, an unofficial build is not available via CKAN

On 5/6/2018 at 3:28 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

So, now I can say that also vessels that are just already in (high) orbit and loaded are prone to this issue.
It happens that it disappears as soon as a maneuver burn is in progress.

It also could be that directly loading from SPC via KAC triggers this issue?

Update (after two minutes):

Yeah, and also the fact that as soon as I enable RCS the good ol' MechJeb issue is spamming, the maneuver is not burnt, could be taken into account:
@sarbian

Spoiler

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at MuMech.RCSSolverThread.GetThrottles (.Vessel vessel, MuMech.VesselState state, Vector3 direction, System.Double[]& throttles, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& thrustersOut) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleRCSBalancer.GetThrottles (Vector3 direction, System.Double[]& throttles, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& thrusters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.VesselState.UpdateRCSThrustAndTorque (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.VesselState.Update (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

What helps is to disable the RCS Balancer Module of MJ.

Edited by Gordon Dry

On 5/11/2018 at 7:33 PM, Gordon Dry said:

So, now I can say that also vessels that are just already in (high) orbit and loaded are prone to this issue.
It happens that it disappears as soon as a maneuver burn is in progress.

It also could be that directly loading from SPC via KAC triggers this issue?

Update (after two minutes):

Yeah, and also the fact that as soon as I enable RCS the good ol' MechJeb issue is spamming, the maneuver is not burnt, could be taken into account:
@sarbian

Reveal hidden contents

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at MuMech.RCSSolverThread.GetThrottles (.Vessel vessel, MuMech.VesselState state, Vector3 direction, System.Double[]& throttles, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& thrustersOut) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleRCSBalancer.GetThrottles (Vector3 direction, System.Double[]& throttles, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& thrusters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.VesselState.UpdateRCSThrustAndTorque (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.VesselState.Update (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

What helps is to disable the RCS Balancer Module of MJ.

Does this only happen when Mechjeb is installed?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@linuxgurugamer I see this issue was brought up in May, but doesn't look like it's ever been resolved...

When a craft gets high enough there's a band of altitudes in which the altitude display blanks out. In the case of my test craft it's above 600km and continues to be blank until 1000km when it starts working again.

There's a pic below and here's a link to my logs - in this case I'm using GPP, but I see from @Gordon Dry's post in May that it's happening in Stock too.

jVM9Aug.jpg

@Tyko @linuxgurugamer I've seen the blank altitude bug a few times as well, I think I just reset the altimeter by cycling AGL/ASL but I can't be sure. It's always been a momentary glitch for me and not frequent enough to figure out circumstances to reproduce it.

Reading @Gordon Dry comments, my circumstances may be similar, using KAC to jump to a ship in high orbit. I have Mechjeb in the stock solar system.

39 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Tyko @linuxgurugamer I've seen the blank altitude bug a few times as well, I think I just reset the altimeter by cycling AGL/ASL but I can't be sure. It's always been a momentary glitch for me and not frequent enough to figure out circumstances to reproduce it.

Reading @Gordon Dry comments, my circumstances may be similar, using KAC to jump to a ship in high orbit. I have Mechjeb in the stock solar system.

I'm not using mechjeb or KAC. In testing I'm using F12 to drop ships into an orbit then using thrust to create elliptical orbits to test with. I can watch it go blank at a certain point in the orbit then re-appear at a higher altitude

I downloaded the v2.0 copy from Diazo's GitHub and this doesn't have the issue. So it's something that was changed between Diazo's 2.0 and @linuxgurugamer's 2.2

Edited by Tyko

8 hours ago, Tyko said:

I'm not using mechjeb or KAC. In testing I'm using F12 to drop ships into an orbit then using thrust to create elliptical orbits to test with. I can watch it go blank at a certain point in the orbit then re-appear at a higher altitude

I downloaded the v2.0 copy from Diazo's GitHub and this doesn't have the issue. So it's something that was changed between Diazo's 2.0 and @linuxgurugamer's 2.2

Which is very strange, since there were minimal code changes.  The only change was changing a font from normal to bold.  And the version you downloaded was compiled for a previous version of KSP.

I'll test and see if I can duplicate this.  What version of KSP are you running?

8 hours ago, Tyko said:

Would be very useful if you could tell me at what point it happens, or even if you give me the Ap and Pe of the orbit you are testing with.  Right now I have nothing to go on, can only guess 

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.