Jade Things [raw objects]

I've begun making parts from scratch. In what mod/whose mod? Who knows... :ph34r: Until I spoil it, that is.

The first created part is the KrakenJuice heavy engine for KrakenScience, completed by the KrakenScience dev. (I owe that mod an update-- retune the engine, set better plumes, and write CTT configs.) I only provided the models. I could not UV and texture yet.

dMmcaqL.png p0L6nnN.jpg

I have a model for the KrakenJuice jet engine, to replace the lame placeholder one (a squished Whiplash) in the mod already, but its dev has set all his interests elsewhere in (or out of) KSP now, and he doesn't want a heap of engines appearing in his mod. I fully respect that but meanwhile, I'd like for the existing jet engine to look a little better.

33wi8y2.png LbHPOVQ.png

I just made this too, a 3.75m Fusion Drive with reactor...for, uh, a specific mod. The bulk at the forward end may change, or the overall design may change a lot. Maybe it's not "long" enough, or the reactor section is bloated or too big relative to the nozzle... but I've greatly reduced the thickness of the 5 symmetric plates by a lot, which already helps the aesthetic by a good deal. I may make a very different model soon then one of the two can be SA licensed.

SwXJEkr.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 1 month later...

These two were just finished. These, the SRX series plasma engines, are made firstly, if not exclusively, for the Kerbal Star Systems mod. However I have fancier engines planned after them which will be available for all to tweak and bundle, just like the ZZZ Things (for which this thread is named).

Honeyview_screenshot343.jpg

They have radiators and fusion reactor (basic ModuleResourceConverter, really) modules.

• The 9 ton, 2.5m plug nozzle/aerospike type engine is geared toward SSTOs and works great in both atmosphere and vacuum. TWR is favorable in up to roughly 13 atm on Jool! But its vacuum Isp is < 10% of the other engine. It fits well into a 1.25m stack too.
  • The 3.75m magnetic bell engine weighs a whopping 30 tons and is made for sub-light interstellar travel. Unlike the spike engine (which cannot gimbal), the bell has 1 degree of gimbal. Its TWR falls very sharply if used in atmosphere so it becomes useless at Kerbin sea level. Lastly it has an attach node each for 2.5m and 3.75m. The radiator array is partially a structural adapter.

....More engine things. This (among a couple other random things, none of which are engines) happened late yesterday. Considering the old models currently used for the Ascendant series lift fans in Thor Tech, I thought I'd take a swing at an interpretation of the SHIELD Helicarrier lifter engine...

This is the 3m version. The intake and engine remain separate so they can be offset with regards to the thickness of the wing or lifting body they're attached to. The 4 gridded ports are air RCS.

M1VLQVx.png

Existing parts in Thor Tech...

g0JxDdV.jpg 2R6MbVG.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

** Preamble **

Before I started making Airline Kuisine (or in its early days) and I was in the lengthy season of planning just another short-lived playthrough (sometime in KSP 1.2.2 I think) I wanted just to have a Mk2 greenhouse for use with USI life support. USI was the only life support I knew of at the time...and USI's greenhouses were all simply bigger than or otherwise unfit for the Mk2 body. I've wanted to have (roughly) the model below, ever since, and now it's going to become real. I've also made a Mk3 version with and without inner floors (It's divided into 3 decks supporting the height of a kerbal (1m)).

** Development news starts here **

I had Kerbalism in mind when I created this, and I have a great idea for how it can perform well alongside any large greenhouse and still have a satisfying throughput (without endangering Kebalism's greenhouse balancing scheme).

After showing it to someone I was nudged towards making an accompanying aquaponics part. I've already roughly settled on how the aquaponics will work but it will need its own plugin for perfect behavior.

VJlZUXx.png Fw7iphI.png

• 2 weeks later...

OP comms dish specifically designed for use with interstellar level mods. This variant is currently exclusive but I have ideas for at least 2 more variants. I've wanted one of these very much to include in The Spice but didn't want to borrow any (more) models from well-known mods. I've already done quite a lot of that.

1.25m base ring, 4m at dish rim.

OWR_Dish0003.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 2 months later...

1.25m ion engine cluster. I don't need it but I've had a small want for it. The brown rings are either radiators or EM field coils.

It's fun to build these things in their basic form in 3D.... The steps after this are mostly not fun: proofing the final geometry, making the UV maps and textures.

Ion_Honeycomb.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 3 weeks later...

@theJesuit I did consider it. But these parts weren't going to happen unless someone asked me (and that I needed a good excuse to make a cabin or "more than just a cabin." The 1st and 3rd parts (having more windows and more crew capacity) can be the VR Studios. The 2nd and 4th parts can be the Med Bays. (Both 1.25m cabins will seat two, despite the window count).

• Custom IVAs aren't happening. :P
  • The models are still raw and the textures are placeholder. I don't work that fast.

0z2U9hw.png

31 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@theJesuit I did consider it. But these parts weren't going to happen unless someone asked me (and that I needed a good excuse to make a cabin or "more than just a cabin." The 1st and 3rd parts (having more windows and more crew capacity) can be the VR Studios. The 2nd and 4th parts can be the Med Bays. (Both 1.25m cabins will seat two, despite the window count).

• Custom IVAs aren't happening. :P
  • The models are still raw and the textures are placeholder. I don't work that fast.

0z2U9hw.png

Custom IVA idea.  Should be an infinite blackened room with a headband over the kerbal's head for the VR room.

The med bay should be the same but with a wire sticking into the kerbal from the dark blackness.

I think though after looking back into the discord that they are going to just add them to the hitchhiker. :/

Looks good though!  Thanks!

Peace

4 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

Are these parts available for download?? Specifically..the comms dish, kraken engine, and heavy lifter fans?? *continues to drool*

Sorry, no. The long kraken engine is available only as part of the KrakenScience mod, the dish needs to be remade a little differently (I ran into an unfixable issue with it) and will be available separately at some point, and everything else is low priority WIPs. I'm working on a few big projects right now that don't involve the rest of these.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.