Firefly Aerospace Discussion Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't see this coming...

“Firefly is committed to flying Beta, our medium class launch vehicle. Aerojet Rocketdyne’s AR1 engine, which incorporates the latest advances in propulsion technology, materials science and manufacturing techniques, is incredibly well suited to power Beta given its cost-effective, high performance capabilities. By cooperating on this development, we are accelerating our time to market and providing our customers with high confidence in Beta’s schedule, performance and reliability.”

7 minutes ago, insert_name said:

It sort of makes sense, why develop an engine of your own when someone else has already started and will give you a spot on Shelby's gravy train

I was thinking before that serious new companies make their own engines... but delicious pork is certainly a possible motive.

....what the?

Don't they have their own engine already, though? Wouldn't it just be less money to use the Reavers from the Alpha again, rather than both paying for additional development costs of needlessly changing the engine and paying a probably high upcharge to Aerojet Rocketdyne? I mean, the AR-1 isn't even fully developed, while the Reavers are already being tested in quads- by the time Beta flies, the Reavers should have flown at least once and thus automatically be more reliable.

Seriously, what's the point? Other than some gravy, I guess...

They were supposed to have a DIVH/FH looking larger vehicle for medium list. Dunno what they do with a 2500kN engine, particularly one that is bound to be amazingly expensive (unless there is some AJR engine that isn't incredibly expensive).

Presumably they'll need 2-3 AR-1s for their rocket, and give AJR pricing, that pretty much means they are proposing a medium LV where the engines approach the cost of a retail F9 launch... not sure where the market is.

Looks like AJR says that AR1 costs under 25M$ per pair of engines.

So If they can use just 2, then the booster would "only" have ~25M$ in it for engines.

I thought the Beta was just a triple-core Alpha though? What's wrong with the Reavers? Looking at the payload user's guide, this was clearly the plan before now. Why would they change it? I don't get it at all.

Besides, "AR-1" isn't a Firefly reference! And they STILL haven't named anything Serenity or something more obvious like that!

Space news said they have switched to single core for beta

https://spacenews.com/firefly-partners-with-aerojet-rocketdyne-mulls-ar1-engine-for-beta-launch-vehicle/

16 minutes ago, tater said:

They were supposed to have a DIVH/FH looking larger vehicle for medium list. Dunno what they do with a 2500kN engine, particularly one that is bound to be amazingly expensive (unless there is some AJR engine that isn't incredibly expensive).

Presumably they'll need 2-3 AR-1s for their rocket, and give AJR pricing, that pretty much means they are proposing a medium LV where the engines approach the cost of a retail F9 launch... not sure where the market is.

Looks like AJR says that AR1 costs under 25M$ per pair of engines.

So If they can use just 2, then the booster would "only" have ~25M$ in it for engines.

22 minutes ago, insert_name said:

Woah woah woah WOAH 

THEY DIDN'T JUST REDESIGN BETA FOR NO REASON

I JUST READ THE ARTICLE

It didn't *just* say Beta is now single-stick, IT SAID IT'S REUSABLE!

THIS MAKE SO MUCH MORE SENSE NOW maybe I should lay off the caps for a bit BUT STILL

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

1 minute ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Woah woah woah WOAH 

THEY DIDN'T JUST REDESIGN BETA FOR NO REASON

I JUST READ THE ARTICLE

It didn't *just* say Beta is now single-stick, IT SAID IT'S REUSABLE!

THIS MAKE SO MUCH MORE SENSE NOW maybe I should lay off the caps for a bit BUT STILL

Yeah, it needs to be with AJR engines being so expensive.

How? Vulcan style?

There's a couple ships they can copy...

Edited by tater

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2018 at 7:26 AM, NSEP said:

Just a blatant copy of the Electron

/s

I like how the basic design of the Falcon is everywhere nowadays. 1 booster and 1 upperstage, wich are all the same size in diameter, and most at the time use no more than 2 different rocket engines. Artificial selection!

how is a two stage rocket a blatant copy of electron or the basic design of falcon??

On 1/16/2020 at 1:25 AM, cameronisher3 said:

X to doubt

He literally put that he was being sarcastic in the post. 

Back on topic, this should be a neat little bird to watch, what with the blue exhaust and all.