Add a fourth game mode

We have three modes right now (sandbox, science, career). This is an idea for the fourth one. Call it "Private Company" or "Launch provider" mode, or something. Here it is:

- Resources that never become obsolete: Get rid of science points entirely and leave reputation and money only.

- Resource spending: Have the tree be researched with either reputation or money (preferably money because it makes the most sense and you would need reputation if you want more contracts).

- Simplified missions: 1 contract for each body with all the non-silly (like part testing) objectives available with rewards being granted as the objectives are being fulfilled. Have one big reward after the whole contract is done.

- Experiments as part of contracts: Move all the experiments to contracts. They would now be rewarded with either money or reputation, or both.

- Reputation rework: Contracts of more distant bodies become available as the reputation grows.

Here it is. A simpler version of career mode. No need to get rid of other modes and this one would actually make the game much more enjoyable, at least for me.

Edited by Wjolcz

This is interesting. Who knows what will happen with further development but I think in the meantime you can get most of what you want by messing with the difficulty settings:

1) Max your starting science (or edit it in your save file) and then un-click "No entry purchase required on research". That way right when you start out you can unlock all of the nodes and spend funds to complete research on the parts. 

2) Use a 100% Patents Licensing strategy to convert all science into funds, that way you can collect science when you wish for extra cash or as part of a contract, but you don't have to. 

3) Just ignore any contracts you don't want to do. With some tweaking you can pretty much get milestones to pay for everything you want to do. You can also max out the Leadership Initiative strategy right from the beginning if you like. 

Might take some fussing with the rewards levels to get it right but I think this could pretty much eliminate science points as a research hingepoint.

Edited by Pthigrivi

Well, how to put this...

Basically, all what you want is available through one or the other career mode altering mods. I do not know the names off-hand, but I am fairly certain that you can alter career mode to what you're describing above.

What would really, really, really make much more sense would be a story mode with a sensible, well written and thought through story, which you play out in some kind of missions or quests or whatever.

PS: One of such mods I was thinking was "Play Your Way". Maybe not 100% what you're thinking about, but I'm certain there's more...

4 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

This is interesting. Who knows what will happen with further development but I think in the meantime you can get most of what you want by messing with the difficulty settings:

1) Max your starting science (or edit it in your save file) and then un-click "No entry purchase required on research". That way right when you start out you can unlock all of the nodes and spend funds to complete research on the parts. 

2) Use a 100% Patents Licensing strategy to convert all science into funds, that way you can collect science when you wish for extra cash or as part of a contract, but you don't have to. 

3) Just ignore any contracts you don't want to do. With some tweaking you can pretty much get milestones to pay for everything you want to do. You can also max out the Leadership Initiative strategy right from the beginning if you like. 

Might take some fussing with the rewards levels to get it right but I think this could pretty much eliminate science points as a research hingepoint.

Oh yeah. At first I thought it would be like sandbox with extra steps but after rereading it actually makes sense. Kind of. There wouldn't be a clear path of tech progression but then the tree itself is all over the place anyway. I will try that. The only problem is I would have to cheat my way through to upgrade the administration building because early strategies (as far as I remember) are very inefficient (or rather useless) at converting resources.

Edited by Wjolcz

11 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

I actually play my career mode exactly like this. I like having the limitation of money and a set goal in mind, without being part-restricted.

So I don't know if I should be doing an update on how my career is going right now but I will only say that it's OK-ish so far.

The problems are, as I predicted, mainly connected to the fact that I have to cheat in a lot of money to fully upgrade the Administration building to have that one strategy able to convert 100% of science into funds. There's also a problem with R&D which too would have to be fully upgraded but I don't mind it that much as I have the MH DLC and the first half of the tree seems to be enough for now.

Gameplay with default rewards is okay. It acutally challenged me a couple of times to design my rockets so I fit withing the budget but that's because I was recklessly spending it on tech. World's firsts don't really encourage me to go somewhere I've been already but that's okay as there are many places to visit in this game.

Now when it comes to World's Firsts: they don't care if you use a manned or unmanned spacecraft. There's not much point sending kerbals into space apart from gathering crew reports and planting flags (and fulfilling contracts, but since I'm not doing these the kerbals are just extra mass).

All in all the settings don't really solve the issue. They aren't super bad but having a fourth and simpler than career mode would still be much nicer than this.

Edited by Wjolcz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.