[1.3.x-1.9.x] Craft Manager - search, sort, tag & share your craft

katateochi

Fantastic!
I think it is a tech lock, which I guess would not show up in the logs.
Time to carefully examine the tech tree to see if I can spot a part I have or an upgrade.

edit.
Doh! Yes it does tell me when I try to launch it.

Edited by Apaseall

Hm. I've just been trying the last release in my 1.5.1 install for compatibility purposes, and any ship which has been named using localized strings (pretty much all stock craft as well as ChopShop's provided examples the ones I've found so far) aren't pulling the localized names out of the dictionary files. Not sure why, it obviously used to do this in 1.4.5 (and still does when I boot that version for comparison.) Weird.

3 hours ago, therealcrow999 said:

@katateochiSo this mod doesn't pull in my Steam Workshop downloads? It would be nice if I could. 

Nah, just tied to KerbalX -- which is pretty much *better* than Steam Workshop for a lot of reasons, but craft manager *does* enable you to "manage" your local craft just fine. You can even tag and upload them to KerbalX if you like. ;)

8 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Nah, just tied to KerbalX -- which is pretty much *better* than Steam Workshop for a lot of reasons, but craft manager *does* enable you to "manage" your local craft just fine. You can even tag and upload them to KerbalX if you like. ;)

Thanks. Yeah, I just wish it could located the ones I downloaded from Steam Workshop. I wouldn't image it be hard to tell the mod where it could look. I have like maybe a dozen on Steam I really like, I might mess around with Craft Manager mod and see if I can port those mods over to a private hanger in KerbalX. 

3 minutes ago, therealcrow999 said:

Thanks. Yeah, I just wish it could located the ones I downloaded from Steam Workshop. I wouldn't image it be hard to tell the mod where it could look. I have like maybe a dozen on Steam I really like, I might mess around with Craft Manager mod and see if I can port those mods over to a private hanger in KerbalX. 

I hadn't used the steam craft download thing yet, and its.... interesting. It looks like once you load/subscribe a craft it parks it over in the steam library's workshop downloads folder, rather than the usual saved game location. I assume once you make some tweaks or edits and re-save, it'd put it in the normal saved game location and available to KerbalX/Craft Manager.

2 hours ago, JH4C said:

Hm. I've just been trying the last release in my 1.5.1 install for compatibility purposes, and any ship which has been named using localized strings (pretty much all stock craft as well as ChopShop's provided examples the ones I've found so far) aren't pulling the localized names out of the dictionary files. Not sure why, it obviously used to do this in 1.4.5 (and still does when I boot that version for comparison.) Weird.

I've not had a chance to check out 1.5.x yet. But I will soon and make any changes needed to fix stuff! Thanks for letting me know about this.

34 minutes ago, therealcrow999 said:

I've not tried to add steam workshop integration to Craft Manager. It might add it at some point, but there are some issues around doing that. 
When you say "mess around with Craft Manager" do you mean write a pull request or just recompile a custom version for yourself? Things to note in either case; Craft Manager is very tied to KerbalX's API which doesn't just allow a straight GET request to fetch craft (it's quite locked down to prevent people scraping content), so it wouldn't be a case of just changing a url to point at steam.  The other thing is I'm in the process of writing a complete overhaul to the KerbalX API which (very soon) will require mods that access KerbalX to be digitally signed, which means that if you modify Craft Manger in anyway it will no longer be able to connect to KerbalX.
Also another point to note; one of the KerbalX rules is that you can only post craft that you've made yourself (and the community is pretty vigilant about reporting re-posts), so please don't pull other people's craft off the steam workshop and post them on KerbalX. But If they are your own craft then by all means port them over!

2 hours ago, katateochi said:

I've not had a chance to check out 1.5.x yet. But I will soon and make any changes needed to fix stuff! Thanks for letting me know about this.

I've not tried to add steam workshop integration to Craft Manager. It might add it at some point, but there are some issues around doing that. 
When you say "mess around with Craft Manager" do you mean write a pull request or just recompile a custom version for yourself? Things to note in either case; Craft Manager is very tied to KerbalX's API which doesn't just allow a straight GET request to fetch craft (it's quite locked down to prevent people scraping content), so it wouldn't be a case of just changing a url to point at steam.  The other thing is I'm in the process of writing a complete overhaul to the KerbalX API which (very soon) will require mods that access KerbalX to be digitally signed, which means that if you modify Craft Manger in anyway it will no longer be able to connect to KerbalX.
Also another point to note; one of the KerbalX rules is that you can only post craft that you've made yourself (and the community is pretty vigilant about reporting re-posts), so please don't pull other people's craft off the steam workshop and post them on KerbalX. But If they are your own craft then by all means port them over!

With messing around, I mean learn the mod, familiarize myself with it. It would be nice to view and pull Steam Workshop mods I have on my Hard Drive already. I wouldn't want your mod to download or upload to Steam from with-in it. I just want to view my Steam Workshop downloaded ships. I mean they are right on the HD, C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\220200, the only thing is, each Steam ship in there is in their own folder. So what I ended up doing, is the hard way and pull each ship file out of that workshop folder and put them in my Save folder. It was kind of a pain, but the only way for right now, I guess.

I wouldn't want to re-post other peoples stuff from Steam over on KerbalX. I just thought maybe they had a option to do a private Hanger for my own use, but I guess not. I figured out KerbalX out more and this mod. I never used either before today.

@katateochiI'm having issues with these guys. 

https://kerbalx.com/SnacklessKerbal/Koyuz-10

https://kerbalx.com/SnacklessKerbal/Koyuz-20

It might help you recreate it, if needed. So if I download those from Craft Manager and then open them, they don't show the thumbnail, but in \Kerbal Space Program\thumbs there is thumbs for them. So if I manually download the two craft from KerbalX myself and place them in and open them, the crafts will show a thumb now. 

Now this craft:

https://kerbalx.com/Raptor9/IkeDres-TriPropellant-Logistics-Kit-Titan-4N

If I try to download it from Craft Manager it will start the download but never finish, it gets stuck and progress bar keeps going. Now it works fine if I manually download.

I'm in 1.5.1 modded, I don't know if you need any logs at this time, but if you do I can generate some. But I think by following those steps you should see issue. 

Thanks.

***Edit

Thing I noticed, the KerbalX downloaded craft names of the top two are:

Koyuz 1.0.craft

Koyuz 2.0.craft

And the manual ones are:

Koyuz.craft

Koyuz 2.craft

Also, when I swapped them, my custom tags still show.

The IkeDres one is named this when I downloaded it:

M3V 'Ike_Dres TP Logistics Kit'-Titan 4N.craft

Who knows why that one isn't downloading.

Edited by therealcrow999

Koyuz 1.0.craft

There's your problem, and it's not Craft Manager's fault exactly; stock cannot handle periods in craft filenames. Craft Manager's able to save the thumbnail because it's using its own code probably, but then falling back on game code to write the .craft files perhaps? To see this in action, if you empty your VAB folder temporarily and then just put one of those Koyuz in there as downloaded from KerbalX, then make a small edit to it in the VAB, I believe you'll see it get saved with a different name. Your custom tags still show because they're linked to the name inside the file, which remains the same whether it's downloaded from the website or in-game.

M3V 'Ike_Dres TP Logistics Kit'-Titan 4N.craft

I'd be willing to bet Jeb's wages on those apostrophes being the problem there. They rarely play nicely with filehandling, I'm surprised it's a legal name on the site.

59 minutes ago, JH4C said:

There's your problem, and it's not Craft Manager's fault exactly; stock cannot handle periods in craft filenames. Craft Manager's able to save the thumbnail because it's using its own code probably, but then falling back on game code to write the .craft files perhaps? To see this in action, if you empty your VAB folder temporarily and then just put one of those Koyuz in there as downloaded from KerbalX, then make a small edit to it in the VAB, I believe you'll see it get saved with a different name. Your custom tags still show because they're linked to the name inside the file, which remains the same whether it's downloaded from the website or in-game.

I'd be willing to bet Jeb's wages on those apostrophes being the problem there. They rarely play nicely with filehandling, I'm surprised it's a legal name on the site.

I just don't understand when I use CM to download it is named Koyuz 1.0.craft and then when I download through my browser directly from KerbalX, that the name gets changed, Koyuz.craft.

So they are just issues of file names, which makes sense. Maybe I can rename then before download or after to help. But, like I said I didn't get the name changes on their own. Shouldn't KerbalX be pulling the same files as me, as if I was doing it manually myself.

2 hours ago, JH4C said:

From what I am seeing with the correct file, it doesn't like title names like this on KerbalX, Ike/Dres, it prefers them Ike_Dres.

So the Koyuz 2.0, needs to be Koyuz 2_0 in the title on KerbalX. I did my own test with doing a 2.0 and CM shows it as 2_0, but I don't get how it worked fine for me, but the download didn't.

The one guy on there who has a craft file, he is kind of being rude about it, not very friendly. I was asking him maybe it was a KerbalX thing, maybe he should report a bug or ask. He is just being very unfriendly. I'm trying to help him out and future downloaders with CM.

@therealcrow999 & @JH4C 
That does look like an issue with OS unsafe char in the file name. I thought I'd sorted that; KerbalX ensures url safe names and Craft Manager should ensure OS specific path safe names, but something seems to not be working. I'll look into it. 
1.5.x may have issues, I've not had time to get a 1.5.x release out yet (I've not even had time to try 1.5.x for myself yet), but I've got a new release in the pipes which fixes a bunch of things (and also moves onto a new API system for KerbalX). I'll include a fix for this issue in that release and I hope to have it out soon!

Edited by katateochi

7 hours ago, katateochi said:

@therealcrow999 & @JH4C 
That does look like an issue with OS unsafe char in the file name. I thought I'd sorted that; KerbalX ensures url safe names and Craft Manager should ensure OS specific path safe names, but something seems to not be working. I'll look into it. 
1.5.x may have issues, I've not had time to get a 1.5.x release out yet (I've not even had time to try 1.5.x for myself yet), but I've got a new release in the pipes which fixes a bunch of things (and also moves onto a new API system for KerbalX). I'll include a fix for this issue in that release and I hope to have it out soon!

Nice, can't wait to try it out.

Good thing, the main stuff I got on Steam Workshop, one was a collection of historical American and Russian craft, I asked him if he could put them on KerbalX. He was nice enough he did it. I got a few other of my Steam subs to do it. So that worked out well for me. Plus I have been getting craft from KerbalX now, I like it better than Steam Workshop. 

• 2 weeks later...

@katateochi -- quick question on the workflow of "updating" craft that are already downloaded -- apologies if this is already in your plans or discussed, or if I'm getting this wrong ( :D ):

As it stands now,  craft we download/add to queue/etc. are imported into our saves as one-off instances of that craft, and removed from the DL queue. Groovy. When a craft author updates a craft, we'll get a notification on KerbalX, and manually re-add it to the download queue. Back in game, we go back to pending downloads red-download the craft, with Craft Manager asking us if we'd like to update. Is CM actually aware that the craft in the queue is *newer*  -- or is it just asking to overwrite?

Normally this is kinda moot, but for creators like Raptor9, I easily lose track of what version I have downloaded, and those craft are routinely updated for each KSP version and often in-between.

18 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Is CM actually aware that the craft in the queue is *newer*  -- or is it just asking to overwrite?

No, it doesn't know that it's newer (or changed), it's just a simple overwrite confirmation.

BUT you've given me an idea....but having thought about it for a few minutes, it's tricker than I originally thought! But...basic idea would be to recognise a craft in your save as having the same name as one in your past downloads and checking if the date you downloaded it was before it's last update date, and if so showing an update button.  One issue is KerbalX doesn't record when you downloaded something, only that you downloaded it and also the only identifier to go by is the craft's name; which would cause problems if you happened to name a craft the same as one you'd downloaded before.....I'm think about it some more and see if it's doable.

Sorry everyone that it's taking me SOOOOOO long to get this next release out.  Two reasons;
It's a big change in terms of code (not a lot in terms of functionality, few fixes and improvements, but I'm moving all the API related stuff into a separate, dependency mod (KXAPI) which CraftManager and the KerbalXMod will depend on.  Keeps things more manageable and it opens up the possibility for other mod devs to use KXAPI to interact with KerbalX. More on that when I release it...which will be....soon.),

and 2nd reason...this guy;

Spoiler

6s995ks.png

Collie pup, 16 weeks old atm and omg he takes up so much time! So cute though...all fur and teeth!

3 hours ago, katateochi said:

Sorry everyone that it's taking me SOOOOOO long to get this next release out.  Two reasons;

First reason is completely understandable, and I'm sure we'd all rather you got it done right rather than rushed.

Second reason is adorable, give him a snuggle from me!

• 1 month later...

ok! New version (officially) released. 1.x.5 has been out (available on CKAN) for a few weeks, as I wanted to roll this out a bit more gradually. 

The biggest change is that Craft Manager now requires you to have KXAPI installed too (installing via CKAN takes care of that automatically).  KXAPI is a mod that handles everything to do with making requests to KerbalX, authentication etc and is now a common resource used by both Craft Manager and the older KerbalXMod.  
There are also a few fixes and requested changes. You can now adjust both the width and height of the main window so you can have a full screen interface if you want.  The issue of craft with localized craft names has also been fixed.  Various other minor fixes and tweaks.

The previous versions 1.x.4 and lower will still work, BUT are scheduled to sunset on the 31st of January 2019.  After that date those older versions will no longer be able to connect to KerbalX's API, so upgrade to this latest version that uses KXAPI before then.

• 1 month later...

Question. Whenever I save a subassembly in a category, then use the mod to tag it or change the description, the subassembly is removed from the category I placed it in and dumped into the "all" header. Is that deliberate, bug or technical limitation you can't / haven't gotten the time to get around?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 10:45 AM, Fraktal said:

Question. Whenever I save a subassembly in a category, then use the mod to tag it or change the description, the subassembly is removed from the category I placed it in and dumped into the "all" header. Is that deliberate, bug or technical limitation you can't / haven't gotten the time to get around?

I'm getting the same behavior, too. I like this mod, but it's unfortunate because I use subassemblies pretty extensively which means I have to be really careful not to use it for those or else I'm stuck reorganizing them.

22 hours ago, catonthekbd said:

Many thanks for a great mod .

A  feature request - is there somewhere I could select, that would supress the listing of all craft that had locked parts?

(when starting a new career game most of my old standard craft from other games are not yet buildable)

As a workaround in the meantime, create a new tag (Locked) and apply it to the applicable craft.  Use the Locked tag to filter your craft list.  Every once and a while, review the Locked tag collection and adjust as necessary.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.