Sign in to follow this  
Jestersage

Confused about the Skiff, Wolfhound and ???

Posted (edited)

I am browsing KerbalX, and in someone's Saturn V, a commenter noted: "Wolfhound engines are the wrong engine if you are concerned about realism for Apollo CSM"

This lead me to check out information about Wolfhound, and I find the following:

- there are some posts around here that day Wolfhound and Skiff had swapped stats.

- the "official" Apollo (Acepollo 13) use Cheetah.

So I am confused. Is there something wrong with Wolfhound? And if the stats for Skiff and Wolfhound are swapped, can't you just use skiff where you would have used Wolfhound and vice versa?

Edited by Jestersage

They're not swapped.  If they were, Squad would have swapped them back in one of the two patches we've had already.  The official Acapello 13 also uses a 2-stage SaturnV instead of a 3-stage... it's not meant to be an accurate recreation of the realworld Saturn V; just look inside the fairing for further confirmation of that.

The parts themselves are "kerbalized" versions of the realworld engines, so their stats are what they are based both on their realworld analogues and what the devs think will fill a niche in the engine lineup.  Comparing them solely to their realworld analogues is where people are getting confused.

That being said, if you want to build something like a proper Saturn V replica, then for TWR and isp purposes you should absolutely swap Skiffs for Wolfhounds. The Wolfhound is utterly overpowered.

This mod does makes the changes for the Saturn V stack and makes some other balance adjustments as well