Shower thoughts

p1t1o

If you feel unimportant, just go outside.

Intense heat and pressure at the core of our star fuse atoms of hydrogen to produce helium in the process of nuclear fusion. This reaction releases huge amounts of energy as gamma rays that jump around, being absorbed and emitted. Finally, when these photons reach the surface, they’ve lost enough energy to become visible light. 

The photons travel at light speed, 299,972,458 m/s. Yet since the appoximate distance from the sun to the earth is 149.6 million km, it takes light some 8 minutes to reach earth. After that, the photons become scattered as they travel through the atmosphere and finally, finally reach the ground, only to be stopped by you.

20 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

If a vegan wears leather boots are they still vegan? 

No.  There is such a thing as vegan leather.

You will never find anyone who legitimately claims to be vegan wearing real leather.

On 5/4/2018 at 5:42 PM, p1t1o said:

You've probably never thought about "bird milk" before, but is that because you are consciously aware that it cant exist, or merely because you've never thought about it until now?

I'm familiar with it since Soviet childhood in 1970s.
"Bird's milk" "Птичье молоко", kind of milky marshmallow in chocolate.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTras2YVejLy4fbcuvKUDO14746395673190.jpg

On 5/4/2018 at 7:40 PM, Earthlinger said:

If the genocide of a million saves ten times that number, is it justified?

This question always appears post factum. So, any answer is irrelevant.

On 5/4/2018 at 8:59 PM, qzgy said:

What would the asteroids be though?

Gluon rubbish.

On 5/5/2018 at 6:48 PM, p1t1o said:

But if you have to force an answer, sure, genociding a million is not as bad as genociding ten million, in such simple terms.

Think positive!
"How much will I gain if choose a million instead of ten?"

41 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

This question always appears post factum. So, any answer is irrelevant.

Mm. It's one of those 'at what point does the undeniably wrong become justified' questions

I kinda like them for some reason. Or at least, it's interesting to theorize what events could lead to such forced actions :P

No, don't send help. I already had my psychology appointment

On 5/6/2018 at 12:12 PM, kerbiloid said:

I'm familiar with it since Soviet childhood in 1970s.
"Bird's milk" "Птичье молоко", kind of milky marshmallow in chocolate.

I'm almost certainly reading this wrong... But you were raised in the Soviet Union?

15 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Definitely.

Oh

That explains some

7 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

From the perspective of the dinosaurs, we are all living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Not really. Tens of millions of years have passed, and sure, the dinosaurs aren't around anymore, but Earth isn't a wasteland. It more than recovered. Post-apocalyptic? Yes, in a sense, though one could say that humanity's damage to the environment is the dawn of another one :P

Edited by Earthlinger

26 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Not really. Tens of millions of years have passed, and sure, the dinosaurs aren't around anymore, but Earth isn't a wasteland. It more than recovered. Post-apocalyptic? Yes, in a sense, though one could say that humanity's damage to the environment is the dawn of another one :P

Well, technically, at least one thing is still post-apocalyptic... The atmosphere. (This is somewhat disputed but we have a general idea.) The atmosphere had a lot more oxygen than it used to, so most dinosaurs wouldn't live very long today.

14 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

From the perspective of the dinosaurs, we are all living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

And we are the weird, mutated, hairless beasts that survived.