Shower thoughts

p1t1o

For those who can't wrap their head around the fact that people used to live without near-instant communication and electricity, keep in mind that people 200,000 years ago, people rarely ever saw a geometric shape.

4 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

For that matter, how long did it take to get from, say, New York to LA before the steam train was invented?

https://dsl.richmond.edu/historicalatlas/138/c/

Select table of contents in the checkboxes on the left to compare years. 1869 was when the transcontinental railway was completed, so everything not specifying travel mode is talking about stagecoachs.

On 6/8/2018 at 10:37 PM, Atlas2342 said:

Also related, people who were born at the same time can be born a day apart.

Already true on Earth if you were to call it "date" instead - I'm demonstrating it every time I post something in the early morning here where it's still afternoon in the server's site.

1 hour ago, GoSlash27 said:

Why doesn't anyone make mouse- flavored cat food?

They'd just be rat stock. Probably poisonous as well.

1 hour ago, YNM said:

They'd just be rat stock. Probably poisonous as well.

Not made of real rodents, just smelling like mice.
Mice themselves were a defaut cat food in the past. Today it's a cat currency to buy the food from humans.
(Cats have no idea why humans are happy when a cat brings a mouse. They think: probably humans eat this.)

Edited by kerbiloid

I never believed cats liked the taste of mice. It seems catching mice is more of a game for cats and they don't eat them if they have other options. Case in point, cats will enthusiastically try to catch a strand of grass blowing in the breeze or being manipulated by their humans. It's about the chase, not the catch.

2 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Case in point, cats will enthusiastically try to catch a strand of grass blowing in the breeze or being manipulated by their humans.

Perhaps a little past your point would the the fact that cats do ingest grass/plant materials. They'd gnaw on grass, and they'll eat the bits that got off.

If we have a tub of balls, in wich half of the balls are blue and the other half red, and i were to pick 10 completely random balls out of it, would exactly 5 balls be red and the other 5 blue? What if i picked 1000 balls?

5 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I think you mean üm̈läüẗ.

Actually, I'd leave off all the "rock dots". That'd be the joke :)

2 hours ago, NSEP said:

would exactly 5 balls be red and the other 5 blue? What if i picked 1000 balls?

Not necessarily.

Best,
-Slashy

5 hours ago, Shpaget said:

I never believed cats liked the taste of mice. It seems catching mice is more of a game for cats and they don't eat them if they have other options. Case in point, cats will enthusiastically try to catch a strand of grass blowing in the breeze or being manipulated by their humans. It's about the chase, not the catch.

When we were giving our previous cat pieces of raw meat of nutria, she reacted very actively and favourably.
Of course, it's not a mouse, but a rodent, too.
So maybe cats have nothing against the mice taste.

Spoiler

(Just in case. Such thing. Nutria, coypu, etc. Farmed for delicious meat.)

6a25d2963da6ca8e41bd269baf548849.jpg

2 hours ago, YNM said:

They'd gnaw on grass, and they'll eat the bits that got off.

Also they swallow semi-digested plant food inside the mice.
An inverted sausage roll.

4 hours ago, NSEP said:

If we have a tub of balls, in wich half of the balls are blue and the other half red, and i were to pick 10 completely random balls out of it, would exactly 5 balls be red and the other 5 blue? What if i picked 1000 balls?

If you pick 1000, and get exactly 5 red and 5 blue, you have bigger problems.

If you repeat the experiment over time, you will average half red/half blue, but the chances of any single instance actually being half and half is going to be very low.

Edit: See below for someone that wasn't too lazy to actually do the math.

Edited by razark

2 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

Not necessarily.

To elaborate...

Drawing 10 balls out of an infinitely large pool yields 1,024 equally likely scenarios. 1 scenario yields all blue. 10 scenarios yield a single red, and so on. There are 252 unique scenarios that will yield exactly 5 red and 5 blue, but that means that there are 1,024-252= 772 scenarios that don't. Thus, it's statistically unlikely that you will end up with exactly 5 red and 5 blue, even though it is the single most likely outcome.

Best,
-Slashy

3 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Why hasnt evolution eradicated sleep?

1. To make people from time to time stop doing crap, fell asleep, and later wake up with overwhelming feeling of shame.

2. Otherwise how would you get rid of your guests?

5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Presumably because the benefits of sleep outweigh the risks

What are the risks of not needing sleep? Boredom?

Edited by p1t1o

43 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

What are the risks of not needing sleep?

A stand-by mode when no new damages are appearing, but the heal rate increases and repairs the existing sicknesses
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

No new info is getting sticked into the neural network, but the daily portion of it gets rearranged. As if it were a memory defragmentation.

Spending less energy and making less noise in that part of a day when sensitivity of sensors is poor and anyway would cause troubles for an ape.
Unlikely it would find berries or fruits in darkness (especially when some plants get closed), but very likely would be a beacon for a leo.

Social regulation. The need for sleep makes to stop any interaction at least daily, limiting conflicts.

Saves energy in cold.

Edited by kerbiloid