Shower thoughts

p1t1o

I recently had a shower thought about how Battlefield 4 could have a Battle Royale mode. 

Pick a map with the AC-130 gunship (Golmud)

Have everybody armed with a knife

Make everybody have to parachute down

To pick up weapons, you have to kill other people. 

It's in hardcore mode so no health regen and friendly fire is off (pvp)

Make it so that everybody has only one life.

This is a shower thought. 

The other one was when I was 12 and I would imitate radio stations (I know it sounds weird)

1 minute ago, YNM said:

TBH there are some ham radio stations out there.

No, I'm talking about me saying EVERYTHING the radio hosts would say, and singing all the songs. I could remember every single thing they said. 

14 minutes ago, razark said:

Yes, it does, considering that I am a radio station.

???

3 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I'm talking about me saying EVERYTHING the radio hosts would say, and singing all the songs.

A one-man radio station isn't too difficult these days. It's a "podcast".

11 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

???

See YNM's response above*, and 73s, OM.

DE KE5ETP AR

*Not the one above, but the one above the one above, since YNM replied in the meantime.

Edited by razark

36 minutes ago, razark said:

See YNM's response above*, and 73s, OM.

DE KE5ETP AR

*Not the one above, but the one above the one above, since YNM replied in the meantime.

Ok. Now I'm confused

2 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I don't want a thing about ham radios.

Shame.

Did you know the JSC Amateur Radio Club (W5RRR) can (and has) acted as emergency communications to manned spaceflight missions?  This means that random people that just happen to show up can act as CAPCOM.

2 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Now that's cool!

It really is. 

Although, to be honest, it's happened once in the '80s during the Shuttle program, and the sum of it was basically "Yeah, we know there's a problem; just hold on for a bit until MC fixes it, please." 

However, most of the astronauts are trained and licensed to use ham radio, and use it to talk to schools as a PR thing.  I've actually caught one side of it (the uplink and downlink are on different frequencies) while sitting in my minivan in a gas station parking lot.  I could hear the answers, but not the questions they were being asked.

24 minutes ago, razark said:

Shame.

Did you know the JSC Amateur Radio Club (W5RRR) can (and has) acted as emergency communications to manned spaceflight missions?  This means that random people that just happen to show up can act as CAPCOM.

I do not want a thing about ham radios :mellow:

5 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I do not want a thing about ham radios :mellow:

Ok.  How about a thing about NASA's emergency communications system with ISS in the event of a contingency that prevents direct contact between MC and the astronauts?

1 minute ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Surfing the forums on a flip phone is tedious, posting on it a Curse.

Wow.  I'm not the only one that has a flip phone?  (Mine is without an internet connection, though.)

Edited by razark

5 minutes ago, razark said:

Wow.  I'm not the only one that has a flip phone?  (Mine is without an internet connection, though.)

I'm using some kind of magic autocorrect thingy so these little posts won't take 10 Minutes to write, Only 5 or so.

Edited by DeltaDizzy

Just now, DeltaDizzy said:

I'm using some kind of magic autocorrect thingy so these little posts won't take 10 Minutes to write, Only 5 or so.

I don't have autocorrect.  It does phone and text messaging, and nothing else.

The messaging is a royal pain, since it takes me 5 minutes to type in a simple message, and if there are multiple people involved, my phone tends to get confused.  For the last year or so, it keeps telling me I have a message that I can't access, or delete, or interact with in any way at all.

The thing is, I spend my day at work staring at a screen, either working or surfing the net.  I get home, and I spend my nights staring at a screen, watching tv/videos/movies, gaming, or surfing.  I fear what would happen if I had a portable screen that I could use anywhere/anytime.  (Plus, I get lots of amusement watching my friends argue over who gets to use the charger, while I charge mine once or twice a week.)

17 hours ago, razark said:

Ok.  How about a thing about NASA's emergency communications system with ISS in the event of a contingency that prevents direct contact between MC and the astronauts?

I have an old Nokia brick. It only plays Snake and some other games. Still works, and is pretty much indestructible

On 8/1/2018 at 10:04 PM, razark said:

However, most of the astronauts are trained and licensed to use ham radio, and use it to talk to schools as a PR thing.  I've actually caught one side of it (the uplink and downlink are on different frequencies) while sitting in my minivan in a gas station parking lot.  I could hear the answers, but not the questions they were being asked.

They have the frequencies published. I tried a few weeks ago but I think they were asleep or something.

On 8/2/2018 at 11:53 AM, razark said:

emergency communications to manned spaceflight missions

I like radios but I don't like the hassle :D

I'd like to try hearing longwave transmissions. Aren't there consumer product for these, or has they disappeared ?

When I was in the Cadets at school, we had annual 24-hour signals exercises where we used British Army-issue radio equipment to send and receive as many messages as possible during the exercise period between as many other stations (other school cadet teams) around the country as possible. It was pretty fun, we'd each get issued a 24 hour army ration pack and live on that for the duration, cooking on little gas stoves in the classrooms.

FunFact: approx half the weight and volume of a British Army ration pack consists of a "brew kit" - tea, coffee and hot chocolate (and about half a pound of sugar).

Edited by p1t1o

4 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

They have the frequencies published. I tried a few weeks ago but I think they were asleep or something.

I wasn't even trying that time.  I just stumbled across it while scanning around.  It took me a moment before I realized what I was hearing.

Edited by razark