Shower thoughts

p1t1o

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

If somebody makes a teleportal mode for Kerbals, this would allow to totally avoid spaceships, rockets, airplanes building in KSP.
Kerbals would just walk through a door and get to a celestial body on their choice.

Are you perhaps suggesting a crossover between KSP and the Dune universe?

10/10 would download!

7 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Are you perhaps suggesting a crossover between KSP and the Dune universe?

Was not thinking exactly about Dune, but was shocked by the idea itself: to avoid spaceships building in the spaceship building simulator.

But isn't the establishing of a teleportation network the ultimate aim of the space travels?

So, deliver a portal to, say, Dune, and forget about Dune space flights. Just drive your rover.

P.S.
For pain lovers: make the portal huge and requiring a lot of energy. So, first make a whole interplanetary infrastructure with KSPI-E.

Edited by kerbiloid

4 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

What is the interstellar civilisation's equivalent of throwing a shoe?

That, I am not sure of.

This is more akin to destroying the shoe in case the shoe actually has a GPS, giving away your location...

Read up on the 'Dark Forest' intelligent life theory.

Anyone read Greg Bear's Forge of God/Anvil of Stars duology?

Spoiler

Civilisations conceal themselves by necessity as the trend is for civilisations to destroy each other.

They're a good read btw.

1 hour ago, 0111narwhalz said:

In the above novels, it would be 

Spoiler

Von Neumann weapons that convert solar systems into neutronium/antineutronium warheads.

(They're not a critical spoilers, like the identity of a murderer or anything, but just in case you value mystery. Might spoil the first half of the first novel a bit, depending on the reader)

2 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

A galactic sysadmin has a tool for primitive civilizations annoying others with SETI spam.

Spoiler

Like this, but bigger.
Homes at radiotelescopes. Working wavelength - 21 cm.
AGM-88E_HARM_p1230047.jpg

26 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Plagueis could save others from death but not himself. Anakin managed to save himself from death, but not others. 

Anakin still died... 

And it was Palpatine who saved him...

On the subject of Star Wars, has anyone heard of the original script's story? It's pretty interesting. Luke Skywalker was the old jedi, Annikin Starkiller was the young jedi in training, Darth Vader didn't have a mask, there was another Vader-ish character, and so on. Han Solo was a green alien...

Man, that was weird.

I heard it also contained 6 trench runs, 43 exploding death stars, a cowboy jedi, a samurai for some reason, at least 4 seperate instances of ancient weapons (spear, bolas etc.) being "spacified" with lasers and chapters and chapters glorifying religious sacrifice.

jk ;)

Edited by p1t1o

Do McDonalds put 7 nugget in 1 out of every 100 (or whatever) boxes of 6 on purpose, to increase the "magic" of the experience of buying nuggets?

I've heard that they keep the McRib a randomly seasonal item to maintain its "specialness" even though they know it would sell well as a main menu item.

5 hours ago, cubinator said:

Since I usually take stairs two steps at a time on Earth, on Mars I would probably be most comfortable going up six steps with each stride.

But the buildings there could be made 3 times taller, so would it all cancel out?

On 8/15/2018 at 11:32 PM, cubinator said:

Plagueis could save others from death but not himself. Anakin managed to save himself from death, but not others. 

Fascinating. 

5 hours ago, cubinator said:

Since I usually take stairs two steps at a time on Earth, on Mars I would probably be most comfortable going up six steps with each stride.

I concur