Shower thoughts

p1t1o

53 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

If plastic is made from oil, and oil is made from long dead organisms (ie, dinosaurs) then plastic dinosaurs are made out of real dinosaurs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://what-if.xkcd.com/101

"In other words, your plastic toys contain a lot less dinosaur than you do."

:D

Edited by p1t1o

3 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

If plastic is made from oil, and oil is made from long dead organisms (ie, dinosaurs) then plastic dinosaurs are made out of real dinosaurs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, mostly dead plants from I think the Devonian and Carboniferous, but yes.

An open cycle: Fern - Plastic - Fern :-)

Very coarse generalisations:

Oil, the deposits where it is found today is rarely where it originally comes from. The stuff is highly mobile in the crust. The deposits are simply porous sediments (like shales for example, or porous stuff overlain by clays) where it could not further escape from. In every specific case geologists will have to work out how the deposit is formed and sometimes they get behind from where and when the oil formed. It is an own branch in the geosciences i am not familiar with.

Coal, yeah some is from carboniferous times. But also from much younger times including the Neogene until Miocene (central European brown coal). The process is called coal diagenesis or carbonisation.

Edited by Green Baron

21 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

400 mln years of evolution have been wasted.

I often think that.

But at the end of the day, I stop dealing with those people and go home.

Edited by razark

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

400 mln years of evolution have been wasted.

5 hours ago, razark said:

I often think that.

It's not as much about getting from Point A to Point Z, but about the points in between. Sit back, enjoy the ride. Our existence is but one of those intermediate points.

Edited by adsii1970

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

It's not as much about getting from Point A to Point Z, but about the points in between. Sit back, enjoy the ride. Our existence is but one of those intermediate points.

I rather enjoy the weirdness of the idea that intelligence may not be an evolutionary advantage and is a transient state that we happen to be alive during.

If put a large clock tower into LEO, we could at any moment check the time just by looking at it in binoculars.

Spoiler

1920px-Block_L_and_2MV_planetary_probe.j

Upd.
Btw, a purpose for the Moon.
Let's put 60 bright beacons around the visible Moon disc (Moon is flat as we can see) and switch their lights like the clock arms move.

Edited by kerbiloid

4 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

If put a large clock tower into LEO, we could at any moment check the time just by looking at it in binoculars.

If it's big enough, you don't even need the binoculars and everybody can tell time. No more strangers stopping you on the street to ask you.

Now we just need to iron out the details. What timezone will the clock show? Or do we launch one clock for each timezone and have them labeled for ease of usage.

3 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

What timezone will the clock show? Or do we launch one clock for each timezone and have them labeled for ease of usage.

Maybe some kind of dodecahedron or so. Every time zone will see its own clock and its closest neighbors.

Several such timesats would cover the whole Earth.

Edited by kerbiloid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_mass

One Planck mass is roughly the mass of a flea egg

This Universe is a strange place...

P.S.
Why not measuer mass in flea eggs?

P.P.S.
Btw a geometrical mean of the Plank length and the radius of Universe is ~0.1 mm.
This Universe makes me to begin scratching.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 10/12/2018 at 7:45 AM, adsii1970 said:

On 10/12/2018 at 7:57 AM, kerbiloid said:
  Hide contents

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8AMgaPzLCpLKYCMlFoxr

Don't say anything profound or you will get @kerbiloid'd.