Shower thoughts

p1t1o

Would it be possible for a movie to have an exciting narrative while still obeying all laws of physics and with current technology?

I'm talking about a genre of movies that would usually disregard both or one of these things in order to make room for a narrative.

1 hour ago, Delay said:

Would it be possible for a movie to have an exciting narrative while still obeying all laws of physics and with current technology?

I'm talking about a genre of movies that would usually disregard both or one of these things in order to make room for a narrative.

2001: A Space Odyssey comes very close. There's only like one gimmick, that being the monoliths.

There's even a live interview with the astronauts on the way to Jupiter, in which the news reporter talks about "Ok now we have to wait an hour for the astronauts to respond because of the speed-of-light delay."

2 hours ago, Delay said:

The Martian came somewhat close. Only real issue is the strength of the dust storms. Of course there were production issues and inconsistencies between scenes, but that isn’t anything good editing can’t fix.

12 hours ago, Delay said:

Most of the narrative fans will get bothered with the fizzix-schmizzix details.
Most of the science fans will be unhappy without them.

So, it would be a movie about two physicist professors first arguing about the scientific blah-blah (to make happy the science fans), then beating each other and throwing one of them into window (hi, Ggravity!) (to make happy the narrative fans bothered with the first half).

Edited by kerbiloid

On 12/5/2018 at 12:17 AM, Delay said:

Yes - any standard fiction film, to be honest.

Your daily soap opera still obeys most of physics as they don't make anything up on that end.

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

Had Buran the same problems too (I.e., debris hitting the heat shield)? 

The rocket was covered with 1..1.7 mm thick ice.

http://buran.ru/htm/flight.htm

If ice was 2 mm thick the launch should be aborted.

https://www.gazeta.ru/science/2018/11/14_a_12059095.shtml

So, probably yes.

Edited by kerbiloid

I was thinking the other day about prime numbers the other day, and had a thought. You know that one proof where you take every prime below some value, multiply them, add one, and then the new number is prime? Well what is you subtracted one instead? I've been thinking about it for a bit, and I think the number would also be prime. But if this is true, then I just discovered proof of infinite twin primes, which I find unlikely. Does anyone know a way to disprove this idea?

20 minutes ago, roboslacker said:

Does anyone know a way to disprove this idea?

Provide a counterexample.

For example:

Let your "some value" be 8.  
2 * 3 * 5 * 7 = 210.
210+1 = 211 (prime)
210-1 = 209 (not prime (11*19))

(I've never heard of this proof, by the way.  I'm just taking your word for it that it exists.)

Edited by razark

22 minutes ago, roboslacker said:

I was thinking the other day about prime numbers the other day, and had a thought. You know that one proof where you take every prime below some value, multiply them, add one, and then the new number is prime? Well what is you subtracted one instead? I've been thinking about it for a bit, and I think the number would also be prime. But if this is true, then I just discovered proof of infinite twin primes, which I find unlikely. Does anyone know a way to disprove this idea?

That proof is only valid because you assume there are finite primes, and take X+1 where X is the product of all of them. So, (X+1) has to be a prime, not just because it isn't a multiple of the primes you multiplied, but also because there aren't any other primes you could divide it by. If (X-1) is a lesser prime than (X+1), it renders the demonstration of the existence of (X+1) as a prime incorrect. (Of course, the original demonstration isn't that X+1 is a prime, it's that's an absurd you could have finite many primes, so the question of whether (X+1) actually is or isn't a prime isn't really a question at all...)

Edited by monstah

45 minutes ago, razark said:

(I've never heard of this proof, by the way.  I'm just taking your word for it that it exists.)

43 minutes ago, monstah said:

That proof is only valid because you assume there are finite primes, and take X+1 where X is the product of all of them. So, (X+1) has to be a prime, not just because it isn't a multiple of the primes you multiplied, but also because there aren't any other primes you could divide it by. If (X-1) is a lesser prime than (X+1), it renders the demonstration of the existence of (X+1) as a prime incorrect. (Of course, the original demonstration isn't that X+1 is a prime, it's that's an absurd you could have finite many primes, so the question of whether (X+1) actually is or isn't a prime isn't really a question at all...)

I looked into it some more, and found out that I was misremembering and misinterpreting the infinite prime proof.

Edited by roboslacker

4 hours ago, cubinator said:

Hmmm...do you suppose the sum of all primes converges to a finite value, even if there are infinitely many of them? Probably not...?

If there are an infinite number of primes, and each one is larger than the last, then they shouldn't converge any faster than 1+1+1+…. Which is divergent.

22 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

If there are an infinite number of primes, and each one is larger than the last, then they shouldn't converge any faster than 1+1+1+…. Which is divergent.

The only exception would be if the negation of each prime was considered prime as well, in which case it would converge to 0. However, they aren't included in the definition of primes.

29 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

The only exception would be if the negation of each prime was considered prime as well, in which case it would converge to 0. However, they aren't included in the definition of primes.

Is -1 a prime number? Its only factors are 1 and itself. That would neatly take care of negative prime numbers, if so: they're the product of a prime and -1, and therefore composite.

8 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Is -1 a prime number? Its only factors are 1 and itself. That would neatly take care of negative prime numbers, if so: they're the product of a prime and -1, and therefore composite.

As far as I can tell, they are essentially considered the same "prime ideal" in advanced math, and so basically ignored. The standard definition of a prime is a natural number greater than 1.

https://primes.utm.edu/notes/faq/negative_primes.html

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1002459/do-we-have-negative-prime-numbers

Just now, cubinator said:

If you stand in the sunlight on Earth, and look at the shadow of your head, you are looking directly towards Earth's shadow as well.

Why don't we consider the shadow cast upon the earth by your head (figuratively speaking) as a "melon eclipse" since we have solar and lunar eclipses...

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

Why don't we consider the shadow cast upon the earth by your head (figuratively speaking) as a "melon eclipse" since we have solar and lunar eclipses...

You could extend it to any object, and then call it an "atmospheric eclipse" or "incomplete eclipse" because the shadow extends only partway through the atmosphere unlike a solar eclipse. 

4 minutes ago, cubinator said:

You could extend it to any object, and then call it an "atmospheric eclipse" or "incomplete eclipse" because the shadow extends only partway through the atmosphere unlike a solar eclipse. 

Yeah, probably so. But there is something funny about the term, "melon eclipse" :D Hey, @cubinator, would you move over to the left? You're causing a melon eclipse over here...

28 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Yeah, probably so. But there is something funny about the term, "melon eclipse" :D Hey, @cubinator, would you move over to the left? You're causing a melon eclipse over here...

Or the opposite, like that moment when you're sitting facing the general direction of the Sun, and someone is standing nearby talking to you, and you're looking up at them with the Sun near their head, and it's like "Dude, take a step to the left, I need a full melon eclipse here!"

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Or the opposite, like that moment when you're sitting facing the general direction of the Sun, and someone is standing nearby talking to you, and you're looking up at them with the Sun near their head, and it's like "Dude, take a step to the left, I need a full melon eclipse here!"

See... it could be a very useful term... :D