Shower thoughts

p1t1o

An octopus. Why don't they give a try to an octopus in ISS?

I'm not an octopologist, but for my caveman view, unlike the fishes it probably wouldn't care about the vertical and would be happy in zero-G in any orientation in its fishoctotank.

Also maybe it could even fly along the station and be a mascot, as nothing presses it to the ground.

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

An octopus. Why don't they give a try to an octopus in ISS?

I'm not an octopologist, but for my caveman view, unlike the fishes it probably wouldn't care about the vertical and would be happy in zero-G in any orientation in its fishoctotank.

Also maybe it could even fly along the station and be a mascot, as nothing presses it to the ground.

It would probably try to disassemble something important. They're also really good at letting themselves out of cages. This would be a very problematic creature.

What if poisons are like allergies, but everyone is allergic? Except those few that aren't, who live out their entire lives not indulging in that delicious cyanide or something because they thought it would kill them.

Edited by Shpaget

5 hours ago, Shpaget said:

What if poisons are like allergies, but everyone is allergic? Except those few that aren't, who live out their entire lives not indulging in that delicious cyanide or something because they thought it would kill them.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Michael Malloy?

On 1/4/2019 at 11:33 AM, Shpaget said:

An allergic reaction (or "becoming" allergic to something) is a specific set of biological responses, some things are just straight up biochemically toxic.

Substances that cause an allergic reaction in the general population exist, one could call them "poisons", but in industry we generally call them "sensitisers", and this is a classification that is generally regarded as more severe than "toxic" or "harmful" - one can be given an antidote, or recover from poisoning but a sensitisation is a permanent effect (first exposure - mild reaction but now you are sensitised, subsequent exposures - fully blown allergic reaction)

See section 3.4:

https://echa.europa.eu/documents/10162/23036412/clp_en.pdf/58b5dc6d-ac2a-4910-9702-e9e1f5051cc5

Edited by p1t1o

7 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Isn't an allergy an overreaction of the immune system, to substances or environmental things that "usually" are harmless ? While a poison rather disrupts more or less vital body functions, and is "usually" harmful ?

Thats about it. I think "poison" is a fairly generic term though - if you drink/inject/bathe in it and it kills/hurts you, its poison. But a toxicologist would draw a distinction between toxic effects and an allergic response.

Edited by p1t1o

On 1/4/2019 at 11:32 AM, cubinator said:

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Michael Malloy?

Yes.

On 1/4/2019 at 5:33 AM, Shpaget said:

The problem is it tastes like bitter almonds, which are disgusting. If I could eat cyanide by the pound it would be a party trick.

This year will mark the 60th anniversary of the first moon landing by Luna 2 once we hit September.

And this year will mark 50th anniversary of the first manned lunar landing in July.

Cooler still, there’ll be two “Captain Marvel” movies this year: Shazam* and Captian Marvel.

*Shazam was originally called Captain Marvel

1 hour ago, Delay said:

C is the way to go!

C is punk rock. But C++ has its appeal ...

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

I have long suspected that there is something wrong with Python. That's why I prefer C++.

I can't tell how often i was bitten by C++ ... :-)

(only hobby)

Edited by Green Baron

8 hours ago, Delay said:

C is the way to go!

Once the C programs get bigger than in 1970, C becomes DIY C++
with
struct my_object;
my_object_create,
my_object_delete,
my_object_update

instead of

class MyObject
{
MyObject ();
virtual ~MyObject();
update();
};

6 hours ago, Green Baron said:

I can't tell how often i was bitten by C++ ... :-)

Well, there is also PHP.
Its code is absolutely toilet-friendly. 

If bamboo indeed grows so fast, why in medieval they didn't use some seed spreading bamboo bombs (bamboobombs? bamboombs?) when assaulting fortresses?

Say, many bamboombs thrown into the fortress yard, would turn the yard into an impenetrable forest, free of guards.
Also if it's dry, they can make fire inside the fortress.

Other bamboombs could grow a natural stairways in front of the wall, allowing to walk over the wall.
Or fill the moat.

A bamboomb under the gate would push the gates up and crash it.

Bamboo seeds around the fortress would isolate it with a bamboo wall for a siege.

On 12/31/2018 at 10:16 AM, cubinator said:

It would probably try to disassemble something important. They're also really good at letting themselves out of cages. This would be a very problematic creature.

The kraken could actually cause a rapid unplanned disassembly. 

Ok guys, I'm starting a Kickstarter to send an octopus to space. Who's with me?

On 1/31/2019 at 11:32 AM, kerbiloid said:

If bamboo indeed grows so fast, why in medieval they didn't use some seed spreading bamboo bombs (bamboobombs? bamboombs?) when assaulting fortresses?

Say, many bamboombs thrown into the fortress yard, would turn the yard into an impenetrable forest, free of guards.
Also if it's dry, they can make fire inside the fortress.

Other bamboombs could grow a natural stairways in front of the wall, allowing to walk over the wall.
Or fill the moat.

A bamboomb under the gate would push the gates up and crash it.

Bamboo seeds around the fortress would isolate it with a bamboo wall for a siege.

Um

14 minutes ago, MDZhB said:

What if that woman who just let me turn at the intersection even though she was there first is actually clairvoyant and wants me to go ahead of her so I get killed in an accident instead of her

She doesn't care about you. She's just trying to ire the 8 drivers behind her that want her to obey the %#@^ing traffic laws.

Edited by 5thHorseman

1 hour ago, MDZhB said:

What if that woman who just let me turn at the intersection even though she was there first is actually clairvoyant and wants me to go ahead of her so I get killed in an accident instead of her

Then she would have noticed the cement mixer trying to brake behind her own car.

Edited by kerbiloid