Shower thoughts

p1t1o

30 minutes ago, razark said:

Because their job is to be seen, imposing the Empire's will through a display of force.

They can use music, translate the Flight of the Valkyries Imperial March right from the orbit.

Everybody thinks that there can be no sound in vacuum, but - bang! - the music from space.

Edited by kerbiloid

32 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Because painting the models was either too much work, or it looked bad. Probably the latter.

Back in the days of Star Log magazine, the star destroyers were painted light gull grey. The reason was that the Star Destroyer models (some were as big as 6 feet) looked better in low light shots painted the light gull grey than they did in a flat white. 

When I was a kid, and Empire Strikes Back was released, I had one of the models of the Star Destroyers (I hate the Rebel Alliance). And I also used the same light gull grey to paint the model.

Empire_Galactique.png

Jar Jar was the anthropomorphic personification of Anakin's conscience, his Light Side.

You see? Once Jar Jar had gone, Anakin gets darker and darker.

Spoiler

Anakin's conscience is frightened by the future Anakin's dids.

16-dallas-cowboys-jar-jar-binks_pg_600-6

Spoiler

Anakin's conscience is happy when at last Anakin accidentally did something good.
1*w6x29FJU2T82r5Vc7bHliQ.jpeg

Spoiler

The rise of the Dark Lord.
maxresdefault.jpg

That's why Jar Jar disappears in "Revenge of the Sith".
This symbolizes the final Anakin's fall. He needs no conscience or Light Side anymore, so "Jar Jar" leaves him alone.

22 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Jar Jar was the anthropomorphic personification of Anakin's conscience, his Light Side.

Reveal hidden contents

Anakin's conscience is frightened by the future Anakin's dids.

16-dallas-cowboys-jar-jar-binks_pg_600-6

Reveal hidden contents

Anakin's conscience is happy when at last Anakin accidentally did something good.
1*w6x29FJU2T82r5Vc7bHliQ.jpeg

Reveal hidden contents

The rise of the Dark Lord.
maxresdefault.jpg

That's why Jar Jar disappears in "Revenge of the Sith".
This symbolizes the final Anakin's fall. He needs no conscience or Light Side anymore, so "Jar Jar" leaves him alone.

Sooo...Anakin's conscience was a blithering idiot? That explains so much....

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

A fascinating counter-argument to the ever-popular "Darth Jar Jar" theories.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C Clarke

Electronics actually run on smoke. If you let the smoke out it stops working. 

On hearing that the San Jose Sharks theme during these playoffs is “ Keep on rocking in the TEAL world” my train of thought eventually led me to wonder if different duck species interbreed...?

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

If magic was real, it wouldn't be called magic; it would just be part of physics.

Larry Niven posited that if magic (or psychic powers or any of the other myriad paranormal stuff that is floating around out there) exists, then it is useless. Because if it actually exists and is actually useful, then natural selection dictates that it would be far more common than it appears to be.

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C Clarke

It follows, therefore, that any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

Edited by razark

29 minutes ago, razark said:

It follows, therefore, that any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

It ceases to be magic when it has become commonplace. A great example of this is Bluetooth. Do you realize that just 20 years ago, Bluetooth didn't exist? Now it is used everywhere in our modern world. Bluetooth is no longer "magic."

This morning, I had a dentist appointment. Although not a "shower thought" per se, it is a random thought as I was passing the time sitting in a dentist's chair, waiting for the procedure to begin. Anyhow, I was forced to listen to sounds coming from the small television in the room that the dental assistant was watching before the dentist called in and had me reschedule my appointment. 

On the television was one of those "pop culture" shows geared towards younger people. Being almost 50 and a captive audience to junk TV, I was horrified in the dating advice offered by the show. Mostly, the one female co-host was sharing dating advice that included:

• Never allow your boyfriend to set the agenda. Take charge of the relationship from the very start.
  • If you do not like what he's wearing, refuse to go out on dates or be seen in public with him until he dresses the way you want him to.
  • If you don't like his friends, tell him he must choose between them and you. If he doesn't like your friends, tell him to get over himself. The relationship isn't all about him.
  • If you don't want to go out on Friday night, tell him you prefer to stay in and have your girlfriends over. But if he tells you he needs time to hang out with his friends, remind him you're the one he is dating.

Yeah, this is good advice if you want to remain single your entire life. Our pop culture has destroyed romance, the art of dating, and the excitement that comes along with both. I am so glad I'm not a twenty-something relying on modern society to tell me how to date correctly. And unfortunately, the co-host was very serious in her dating advice; sadly, the studio audience clapped like trained seals as she explained why she held those views. No, don't take any dating advice from anyone who sees themselves superior to whomever they date. You're asking for problems. 

36 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Snip

Wow, double standard much? I imagine she also insisted that the guy pay for everything (and then some) and should show up with flowers and chocolate for every date if he expects to be able to touch her. 

Back to the magic bit... I  read something as a kid that had a time traveller from the late 70s who went back to the Middle Ages. He was demonstrating his gadgets when he randomly punched in the unfortunate combination of 37 x 18 into his calculator, then displayed the result to a local. He was immediately burned at the stake for being a witch as the device showed the number 666 in the glowing red digits prevalent on calculators from that era...

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

dating advice that included:

• Never allow your boyfriend to set the agenda. Take charge of the relationship from the very start.
  • If you do not like what he's wearing, refuse to go out on dates or be seen in public with him until he dresses the way you want him to.
  • If you don't like his friends, tell him he must choose between them and you. If he doesn't like your friends, tell him to get over himself. The relationship isn't all about him.
  • If you don't want to go out on Friday night, tell him you prefer to stay in and have your girlfriends over. But if he tells you he needs time to hang out with his friends, remind him you're the one he is dating.

Thats sounds.. exactly how to manipulate and create a toxic relationship. Why is this a thing?

On a slightly related note, do you have any actual useful dating advice/stories?

Edited by qzgy

Bluetooth didn't exist? Now it is used everywhere in our modern world. Bluetooth is no longer "magic."

Until now I was sure it's magic...

sharing dating advice that included:

"Ok, it's all clear about the boyfriend. Now what you can advice about a manfriend?"

23 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

• Never allow your boyfriend to set the agenda. Take charge of the relationship from the very start. Imagine if someone said "Never allow your girlfriend to set the agenda, take charge of the relationship from the very start". Doesn't sound as good, does it?
  • If you do not like what he's wearing, refuse to go out on dates or be seen in public with him until he dresses the way you want him to. "If you don't like what she's wearing, refuse to go out on dates or be seen in public with her until she dresses the way YOU want her to"
  • If you don't like his friends, tell him he must choose between them and you. If he doesn't like your friends, tell him to get over himself. The relationship isn't all about him. "If you don't like her friends, tell her she must choose between them and you. If she doesn't like your friends, tell her to get over herself - the relationship isn't all about her."
  • If you don't want to go out on Friday night, tell him you prefer to stay in and have your girlfriends over. But if he tells you he needs time to hang out with his friends, remind him you're the one he is dating. "If you don't want to go out on a Friday night, tell her you prefer to stay in and have your friends over. But if she tells you she needs time to hang out with her friends, remind her you're the one she's dating."

Oh god, I feel so bad for the eventual poor soul who will somehow manage to find themselves in a relationship with such a controlling person, it makes me wince

Reverse who's the advice for and it instantly becomes an abusive relationship

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

Oh god, I feel so bad for the eventual poor soul who will somehow manage to find themselves in a relationship with such a controlling person, it makes me wince

Reverse who's the advice for and it instantly becomes an abusive relationship

Well, yeah, because these days if a guy does it he's abusive, but if a girl does it she's "empowered". :rolleyes:

The world is full of relationship advice these days, most of it is nonsense. I think some good advice is, "If the relationship advice you're getting sounds like nonsense, trust your instincts."

And secondly, if you really are in a committed relationship, be a servant. Because true love is always about service. If the person you are committed to doesn't understand that, you might be in trouble.