Shower thoughts

p1t1o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictish_Beast

The Pictish Beast is not easily identifiable with any real animal, but resembles a seahorse, especially when depicted upright. Suggestions have included a dolphin, a kelpie (or each uisge), and even the Loch Ness Monster.

Recent thinking is that the Pictish Beast might be related to the design of dragonesque brooches, which were S-shaped pieces of jewelry, made from the mid-1st to the 2nd century CE, that depict double-headed animals with swirled snouts and distinctive ears. These have been found in southern Scotland and northern England. The strongest evidence for this is the presence on the Mortlach 2 stone of a symbol very similar to such a brooch, next to and in the same alignment as a Pictish Beast.

The Pictish Beast accounts for about 40% of all Pictish animal depictions, and so was likely of great importance.

The Pictish Beast is thought to have been an important figure in Pictish mythology, and possibly even a political symbol.

Spoiler

1280px-Pictish_Beast.svg.png1024px-Strathmartine_castle_stone.jpg

So, they were real...

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPq2I6ZowHVmlTx82yuUu

I spent Friday as timekeeper/scorekeeper for a hockey tournament. Aside from the occasional break, the games are alloted 75 minutes, then 15 minutes to refresh the ice. So games usually started every 90 minutes on any given rink.

Today, I was driving by a sandwich board advertising church services at a local high school, with sermons scheduled every 90 minutes. I immediately thought"Hmmm, so 75 minutes per sermon then 15 minutes to run the Spiritual Zamboni through....?"

On 1/18/2020 at 12:40 PM, έķ νίĻĻάίή said:

AAAAAAAAAAAA

BBBBBBBBBBBB

pluto is a planet, just a dwarf, just like how a midg...uh, shorter than average person Is still a human.

Spoiler

and earth, and jupiter, and pretty much every planet, just like pluto have not cleared their orbit, which means earth, according to the International Astronomical Union is a dwarf planet.

although pluto is REALLY small, even compared to even mercury

Image result for pluto to other planets

Edited by Dirkidirk

3 hours ago, Dirkidirk said:

BBBBBBBBBBBB

pluto is a planet, just a dwarf, just like how a midg...uh, shorter than average person Is still a human.

Hide contents

and earth, and jupiter, and pretty much every planet, just like pluto have not cleared their orbit, which means earth, according to the International Astronomical Union Earth is a dwarf planet.

although pluto is REALLY small, even compared to even mercury

Image result for pluto to other planets

EARTH IS A DWARF PLANET! AAAAAA! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!

Well, since computers cannot really go faster for physics reason. To go faster, you need to reduce heat and electric resistivity, so you need to burn you processor in thinner stripes, which you cannot really do anymore because going thinner is entering a really damn small world in which electrons just jumps through wall and mess up with everything. That's kind of why we've hit a wall and processor aren't going faster. You can also change material, but the one who can probably improve the situation are extremely rare. And there's some work being done on new transistors, but roughly you'll hit peak density somewhere around 2025 (with 2nm engraving, currently we're stuck just above 10nm). Anyway, Moore's law (every two year, the number of transistors in a dense integrated circuit will double).

So, the only reasonable way - save from some physics breakthrough or a new kind of machine who can works better than a Turing Machine (quantum computer are still Turing machine. Weird ones, but still) - is to go radial. Applying basically the MOAR booster philosophy to computer design. That's why we now have a lot of multiple-cores computer, with dedicated and optimized core for graphic processing (your GPU). I mean, I have eight core on this laptops. However, Unity kind of sucks for paralellism (as a lot of graphical application do, it's not an easy problem), and basically KSP run on one core. So, even with better GPU, which are also limited by the size of engraving (but their architecture is weird, like extremely parallelized and not really precise, they tend to take shortcut on some computation and deal with close enough numbers), you're computer won't really be able to manage ships with part count in the thousands.

Not until Unity correctly exploit the ressources at their disposable and finally go parallel (again, it's a harder problem than it seems, especially if you want to exist on multiple OSes as Unity does (and that's what makes it an interesting engine).

So yeah, computer form the future won't make you're current version of KSP runs faster :D (Again, safe from some physics break through)

9 minutes ago, Okhin said:

To go faster, you need to reduce heat and electric resistivity

I did get the impression from the poster, it being a shower thought, that he might likely be thinking actually about playing KSP in the shower.  (I may have misread his mind.)

And would that not ultimately accomplish both goals of "reducing heat" and lowering "electric resistivity"?

Being more, ahem, serious: doesn't Moore's Law state:

named after Gordon Moore, the co-founder of Fairchild Semiconductor and was the CEO of Intel, whose 1965 paper described a doubling every year in the number of components per integrated circuit,[2] and projected this rate of growth would continue for at least another decade.[3] In 1975,[4] looking forward to the next decade,[5] he revised the forecast to doubling every two years, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 40%.[6][7][8]

The doubling period is often misquoted as 18 months because of a prediction by Moore's colleague, Intel executive David House. In 1975, House noted that Moore's revised law of doubling transistor count every 2 years in turn implied that computer chip performance would roughly double every 18 months (with no increase in power consumption)

Edited by Hotel26

@Hotel26 yeah, sorry, it was a bad try at quoting Moore's law from the top of my head. But yeah, same thing. The important part being about same energy requirement (and multicores eats more energy).

For the playing KSP under the shower, well, I can do it. Got a laptop that's IP64 protected (meaning, you can spill your coffee on it and use it to smash things without it being an issue), so it can probably survive a shower. I do not intent to figures this out soon, given the price of the computer. And it can run KSP just fine (On battery, I either loose access to the GPU or I can play for fifteen minutes), so yeah, future is now :D

I'll admit, I don't have part in the thousands on my biggest projects, but I regularly hit the 500 count. And it kind of work (at 2 seconds per frame, but still), so yeah, you can play KSP under your shower if you want. You can probably play KSP under a shower, in 0g and in space too. But at this point, I don't know if you still really needs to simulate space travel :)

Also, I'll advise against using tap water as a coolant or an electric isolation liquid, there's way too much stuff in it. You'll probably need distillated water, which yu don't really want to drink or shower under (your body needs the minerals inside the water not your computer).

Newton says, a force causes a counterforce of the same value but in opposite direction.

Occam says, don't implement new entities without necessity.

So, we get a principle of the inertialess drive: Newton produces the driving force, but Occam makes the inertia excessive and eliminates it.

Can it be possible? Schroedinger says, maybe.

It's a Newton-Occam-Schroedinger inertialess drive.

On 1/30/2020 at 3:30 AM, kerbiloid said:

In the boxing
the box is a name for the ring with corners

Have you ever read "Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid"?

Is a Mobius Strip circular?

There is a ring in mathematics, but I don't think it's particularly circular.  This leads me to wonder whether there is the concept of a box in mathematics, other than the geometrical shape?

Have you ever read "Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid"?

Edited by Hotel26

Reading wiki about medieval and ancient persons, you finally realize that the real history was just a multiseason teenager show.
Of same quality.

An 11 year old queen hitting the castle gates with an axe to escape and go to another kingdom, rather than that she was presumed to rule...
A Hollywood writer fantasy? No.

I just don't know what to think about Hercules and Xena.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 1/26/2020 at 5:37 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

the Spiritual Zamboni

This is what you get when you google "spiritual zamboni":

https://www.hockeyministries.org/home-ice/blog/what-can-a-zamboni-teach-us-about-jesus/

Spoiler'd for those who may be offended by religious-type philosophy, outright religious speech, or references to any specific religion:

Spoiler

"Resurface. Zam. Scrape. Or most correctly: Flood.

Whatever you call it, it is this miraculous occurrence that happens almost hourly at every arena in North America. All the snow, ice chunks, snot rockets, spit, blood, and sometimes even vomit from the previous hour are removed and replaced with a fresh, clean, new sheet of ice.

It is the perfect picture of the miracle that happens through a relationship with Jesus.

In the same way that a grind-it-out practice or a hard fought game leave the ice ruined, sin leaves our life ruined and we can’t fix it on our own. In fact, sin doesn’t only ruin life, sin KILLS!"

Stacey Bauman, 2015 "What Can A Zamboni Teach Us About Jesus?

Source: https://www.hockeyministries.org/home-ice/blog/what-can-a-zamboni-teach-us-about-jesus/

Note: I neither endorse or disavow anything written in the article cited above. I'm only providing sourcing in an informational capacity against a Shower Thought that jumped out (to me) as a rather interesting pairing of words and an amusing anecdote from the OP @StrandedonEarth.

Edited by scottadges