Shower thoughts

p1t1o

When a dragon feels like a troll, he steals a princess.

A new chess piece:

Troll.
Initially is placed at any empty square.

Can't take opponent pieces (too cautious), but has a special attack: "flame".
It makes the opponent to move the strongest piece despite of his wish. Say, to destroy the opponent's castle or to lure a queen from behind.
Can be beaten taken, so can move to avoid beating taking.

Has a special save move: "hide IP".
Like the king's castling but in any direction. Can be used once per game.

Edited by kerbiloid

"How much dV is required to boost straight up from the Kerbin launch-pad, fly to an overhead, geosynchronous space station and then rendez-vous?"  A 16-pax shuttle...  SSTGSO.  Hmm...

Edited by Hotel26

On 7/8/2020 at 4:55 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

No, its just moved to the location where it will raise the next morning. 
Trucks are faster and more reliable than scarab beetles who can get burns moving it.

Also found that the ancient Egyptians had an god with an scarab as as face :sticktongue: https://topbest.ph/blogs/ancient-egyptians-scarab-beetles/

Just re-watched the clip from the Princess Bride with the poison duel.

1. After the duel both protagonists quickly escape, leaving the poisoned chalices (and the bottle, but I'm not sure if it's poisoned, too).
Somebody innocent will find and drink.

2. The antagonist should just give any chalice to the princess and look if the hero tries to snatch it.

Do you want to feel being Voyager on its way to stars right now?

Just look here.

Spoiler

Spoiler

A pale blue dot...

(If you can't see it, just select all and give another look.)

Edited by kerbiloid

• 2 weeks later...

The first biologically immortal human will not be able to relate to the rest of us at all; He or she will be making plans for how to watch the Ocean's boil, or starting research on how to survive the decay of his or her protons. Money, politics, even simple things like birthdays would be an absolutely ridiculous concern. This person could spend 200 years watching glass droop like a fluid, just because.

What's really interesting is what happens when a decent portion of society becomes biologically immortal.

43 minutes ago, WestAir said:

The first biologically immortal human will not be able to relate to the rest of us at all; He or she will be making plans for how to watch the Ocean's boil, or starting research on how to survive the decay of his or her protons. Money, politics, even simple things like birthdays would be an absolutely ridiculous concern. This person could spend 200 years watching glass droop like a fluid, just because.

What's really interesting is what happens when a decent portion of society becomes biologically immortal.

Biological immortality doesn’t mean they won’t die. Death by non-biological (and even some biological) means is still very possible. 

14 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Biological immortality doesn’t mean they won’t die. Death by non-biological (and even some biological) means is still very possible. 

You're right, but I never said anything to the contrary...

Edited by WestAir

1 hour ago, WestAir said:

You're right, but I never said anything to the contrary...

Well they’ll still be able to relate to us. Likely won’t expect to see the oceans boil either, and almost definitely won’t live long enough to really care about proton decay.

8 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Well they’ll still be able to relate to us. Likely won’t expect to see the oceans boil either, and almost definitely won’t live long enough to really care about proton decay.

I disagree for one reason: They'll live long enough to see technology advance their livespan further. .

Liver goes bad? 3d print a new one. Brain decays? Smart-cells repair all that rusting. Of course they'll live long enough to where their lifespan is a question mark. There's no reason to believe any part of us is not replaceable.

2 hours ago, WestAir said:

I disagree for one reason: They'll live long enough to see technology advance their livespan further. .

Liver goes bad? 3d print a new one. Brain decays? Smart-cells repair all that rusting. Of course they'll live long enough to where their lifespan is a question mark. There's no reason to believe any part of us is not replaceable.

But what can you do if you die in a car accident? Or anything else? Risk of death will still exist. The life expectancy may rise to thousands of years, but that's a blink of an eye compared to the half life of proton decay.

Sure, there may be a way to save someone, but there's a new debate about whether or not that's even the same person.

Biological immortality isn't the total elimination of death. Just a large reduction in the risk. But that risk still exists.

8 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

But what can you do if you die in a car accident? Or anything else? Risk of death will still exist. The life expectancy may rise to thousands of years, but that's a blink of an eye compared to the half life of proton decay.

Sure, there may be a way to save someone, but there's a new debate about whether or not that's even the same person.

Biological immortality isn't the total elimination of death. Just a large reduction in the risk. But that risk still exists.

I can't refute your points because everything you said was spot on!

I mean, sure, if billions of people get the "immortality" surgery and we somehow survive to see post-scarcity, one or two of those billions and billions of people might avoid being run over by a self driving car or disease or murder - at least long enough to see if the Earth really sinks into the Sun or not. Surviving the several googol years until protons decay is far fetched, I concede. Death by boredom has no cure I bet. :lol:

13 hours ago, WestAir said:

I can't refute your points because everything you said was spot on!

I mean, sure, if billions of people get the "immortality" surgery and we somehow survive to see post-scarcity, one or two of those billions and billions of people might avoid being run over by a self driving car or disease or murder - at least long enough to see if the Earth really sinks into the Sun or not. Surviving the several googol years until protons decay is far fetched, I concede. Death by boredom has no cure I bet. :lol:

Now if you used mind uploading or backup you could theoretically live forever.

Just not aging and not getting sick and you could still get killed. Now if you was restored from an backup would it be you or an clone? that is another question 

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Now if you used mind uploading or backup you could theoretically live forever.

Just not aging and not getting sick and you could still get killed. Now if you was restored from an backup would it be you or an clone? that is another question 

Clone. But what if whenever you died they used your physical remains to rebuild you? Used your brain as the material to rebuild it with the same roadmap, etc...

Would THAT person be you, or a clone?