Shower thoughts

p1t1o

22 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I have been diagnosed with chronic hemiplegic migraines. When I do something, I do it well...

It's reached the point in life where it is seriously easier to count my pain-free days than the days affected by migraines. Yes, I am still fully employed but there are triggers I cannot avoid and as I get older, I just find it harder to cope with. Perfumes, aftershaves, and colognes, certain cleaning products and air fresheners, and these new LED lights in all the classrooms and lecture halls do not help.

I'm tired all the time, I fight depression caused by the duration of the migraines (on average, about four days in duration), and discovered when I hit 45 I could actually have two migraines - one on the left and one on the right side of the brain at the same time. I have anywhere from seven to ten migraines a month. I am also allergic to aspirin and ibuprofen which means I cannot take nearly 3/4 of currently prescribed migraine medications. 

Sorry if I became a downer in this conversation. :(

If you haven't tried it yet, see if your doc will try Topiramate. When I first started having these I was getting them about every other month or so, which wasn't a bother. But after I had my surgery in 2014, I started having them once or twice a week (I blame the brain freeze), which was a bit more than I was prepared for, especially then. So my doc put me on Topiramate, and over the last six years it has really reduced the frequency.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

If you haven't tried it yet, see if your doc will try Topiramate. When I first started having these I was getting them about every other month or so, which wasn't a bother. But after I had my surgery in 2014, I started having them once or twice a week (I blame the brain freeze), which was a bit more than I was prepared for, especially then. So my doc put me on Topiramate, and over the last six years it has really reduced the frequency.

I'm already taking it. 100mg am and pm (yes, I am at the maximum of 200mg per day). I do not have the severest migraines (the ones where I look and sound like a stroke victim) as much, but I still have them. And often.

A biological application of physics laws...

The Galilean invariance states that petting a cat's face by hand is the same like the cat was rubbing the hand with the face.

...and its practical disapprovement..

The cat doesn't think so.

Edited by kerbiloid

"Underestimate for a wrong reason"?

Upd.

Alice thinks that Bob is weak because he wears green trousers,

But the color of trousers doesn't matter. His arm is broken.

So, actually she should think that he is weak as he couldn't lift 50 kg with that arm.

But actually he can, once his arm gets healthy.

Edited by kerbiloid

Not actually a thought, but a doubt/a question.

At least since M$ bad habits, In programming they call "business logic", "business object", "document" various things which have no relation to moneymaking or occupations, but describe the data structure and program logic, and its isolated parts.

Regardless of the programming, Is the word "business" money-colored, or it is an general abstract word applicable to any "thing, its purpose, and its behavior" in whole?
Say, if a stone is grey, hard, can get wet or dry, is it its "business"?

And what can be a proper word for "an isolated set of variables with decribed behavior" rather than "document" or "object"?

Edited by kerbiloid

Ancient Egyptians unboxing.

(They've discovered several tens new ones, and there is a lot of them more right there).

Spoiler

eg700.jpg

Shrunk due to drying or designed for growth?

Spoiler

And look! Nothing protects you from time like the blue duct tape.

Edited by kerbiloid

34 minutes ago, The_Arcitect said:

There was an invention in Greece called the Aeolipile, but it was given no attention, what if they did give it attention?

IIRC there was a book like that where we build a starship around 1492.

2 hours ago, The_Arcitect said:

There was an invention in Greece called the Aeolipile, but it was given no attention, what if they did give it attention?

They would get a funny steaming toy, because it's much less efficient than even a steam engine.

in fighting movies they can kick with boots, beat with fists, and sometimes strike with (fore)head.

But what's strange, in the gym they just kick and beat the punch bag with fists, but I never saw somebody standing next to the punch bag and repeatedly striking it with head.

52 minutes ago, probe137 said:

I actually found this on the internet but it would probably classify as a shower thought: If James Bond is the most well-known spy, wouldn't that make him the worst spy?

Presumably James Bond is considerably less well-known in the context of the films, or you'd be right: he wouldn't be a very useful secret agent.