Shower thoughts

p1t1o

On 5/4/2018 at 5:42 PM, p1t1o said:

So I recently realised that there is no such thing as bird milk and that birds dont have nipples.

I am objectively aware that this is not necessarily surprising, especially if you know even the smallest amount about birds, but for some reason the realisation came upon me suddenly and its a weird concept to hold in my head.

You've probably never thought about "bird milk" before, but is that because you are consciously aware that it cant exist, or merely because you've never thought about it until now?

Well, thank you for that... Now I have to google bird bilk or else I won't be able to sleep

Edited by Cynthia
I quoted the wrong reply

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the instagram/facebook/etc photos, there is a feeling  that the photographer is hanging under a branch of a tree (and picturing the tops of heads), clinging with one hand and holding the camera in the free one (so, the pictures appear diagonally).

The most experienced ones are using the tail for clinging,  so instead of diagonal photos they cut off everything below the neck, but the horizon is ok.

Some are smaller than others, but there are some fairly big species.

Regardless, a large enough colony will eat you whole in matter of hours. That is unless they're into agriculture. In that case they'll use you as fertilizer for their mushroom gardens.

1 hour ago, AlamoVampire said:

ive seen it before but dont know its function.

In CPU of 486 series (mid-1990s) it switched the CPU frequency multiplier to temporarily overclock it.

Basic CPU frequecny was usually 33 MHz, and the Turbo made it 2x33=66 or 3x33  = 100 MHz.

So, usually the Turbo mode was off to save power and the CPU lifespan, but when gaming the Turbo was pressed "on", so the FPS increased.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

usually the Turbo mode was off to save power and the CPU lifespan, but when gaming the Turbo was pressed "on", so the FPS increased.

That's, ah, not exactly how I remember it... And it seems wikipedia agrees with me. The turbo button is actually there to make the system slower.
Disabling turbo was what we did to run properly old software that used a CPU dependent calibration loop, most commonly thwarting the dreaded borland pascal runtime error 200 or getting old games to run at a playable (i.e. not insanely fast) speed. Later came moslo for the same reasons.

I still have a machine with a turbo button (486 DX4-100), and when it's enabled the system runs at the rated 100MHz clock, not overclocked. I guess you could set a system up so turbo-off is stock speed, but I've never seen it and frankly I doubt you'd find a 486-class CPU that overclocks that well.
The LED  display was kinda cool in any case, even if it was entirely fake and just set with jumpers behind the panel.

Edited by steve_v

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

That's, ah, not exactly how I remember it... And it seems wikipedia agrees with me. The turbo button is actually there to make the system slower.

It just switches between slow and fast (or usually "HI / LO" on the LED).
So, it's a half-empty glass question.

But then why do they call this button TURBO instead of BRAKE ?

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

I still have a machine with a turbo button (486 DX4-100), and when it's enabled the system runs at the rated 100MHz clock, not overclocked. I guess you could set a system up so turbo-off is stock speed, but I've never seen it and frankly I doubt you'd find a 486-class CPU that overclocks that well.

I owned a 486DX with the Turbo, but rejected its overclocking in CMOS/BIOS.
The Turbo was in active use.

Also, it switches the frequency integer multiplier, so it just can't be "to make slower" anywhere but in marketing.
The frequency generator is 33 MHz, the CPU can't get slower.

Edited by kerbiloid

7 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

why do they call this button TURBO instead of BRAKE ?

Because marketing, and because it looks way cooler?

it switches the frequency integer multiplier, so it just can't be "to make slower" anywhere but in marketing.

Of course it can. my machine runs it's 100Mhz CPU at 33MHz with turbo off, and it most certainly is slower.

The frequency generator is 33 MHz, the CPU can't get slower.

The implementation varied, but the majority of 486 and early pentium machines just cut the clock multiplier as you say. Many ISA-only 286 and 386 machines actually ran at 4.7 or 8MHz (the original purpose being 8086 performance) with turbo off, but to get that low on a 486 you'd need to change the bus speed, and that louses up VLB and PCI cards.

Also, most (ISA) 486 boards could do a 16 and 25MHz bus as well, hence the availability of SX-16, SX-25 and DX-50 CPUs. When PCI came along, it's 33MHz bus became the de-facto minimum.

34 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

So, I guess no problem.

It doesn't make much difference to the gist of the conversation, but I actually meant, "is it safe for the cows"...  (Because I'd be all for it...)

Edited by Hotel26

12 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

What I really want to know, though, is: is it safe to feed yellow mealworms to cows...?

Yes. I think the larger part of the insect farming industry right now is for animal feed, as humans aren't accustomed culturally yet to it. In any case I want to reduce consumption of beef...in my case by eating more insects.

On 5/6/2018 at 9:05 AM, Atlas2342 said:

If you feel unimportant, just go outside.

Intense heat and pressure at the core of our star fuse atoms of hydrogen to produce helium in the process of nuclear fusion. This reaction releases huge amounts of energy as gamma rays that jump around, being absorbed and emitted. Finally, when these photons reach the surface, they’ve lost enough energy to become visible light. 

The photons travel at light speed, 299,972,458 m/s. Yet since the appoximate distance from the sun to the earth is 149.6 million km, it takes light some 8 minutes to reach earth. After that, the photons become scattered as they travel through the atmosphere and finally, finally reach the ground, only to be stopped by you.

Kind of a disappointment for those photons to hit my body and end their journey by striking me, isn't it? 

Anyway, I think of how glad I am to not have nobody tuning into Radio Shower, because I worry for people's hearing and my singing might as well be a bio-hazard.

Does a frozen watermelon turn into an icemelon, while a boiled watermelon into a steam(m)elon?

How many states of matter do the melons have? Four?
Solid (icemelon), gaseous (steammelon), clusterized (yet not eaten melon) , liquid (eaten melon)?

If keep watering a watermelon with heavy water, will it be called a heavywatermelon?
What about GMO ones, effectively sorting out the heavy molecules?

Can we use the heavywatermelons to fuel a fusion power plant with naturally grown pellets from farm?

Isn't it a good option to power Daedalus-like engine by throwing heavywatermelons back and heating them with beams?
And a heavywatermelon Orion?

If grow heavywatermelons near natural uranium deposits, will they become natural heavy-water microreactors?
And glow in night?

An ISRU heavywatermelon greenhouse to fuel the spacecrafts?

I believe, the watermelons arre highly underestimated in KSP.
Especially since they are of the same color with Kerbals.