Shower thoughts

p1t1o

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

You see, the Common Center of Mass on a twin star system big enough should be a pretty cozy place for a O'Neill Cillinder or other similar huge space station...

Until calculating the required greenhouse area to feed the cylinder population and area of the radiators to remove the waste heat...

Then the O'Neil Cylinder stops being a thing at all.

"I am your father, Luke!"

In the world of clones, genetically modified species, and extraterrestrial races.
So, in the world where decoded DNA stamps and detectors would be as usual as photography.
How could a person be not aware of his full genealogy, and how could the DNA detector (in the nearest door phone, in the suit glove, in the sword handle, anywhere else) not recognize the DNA match between two persons?

So, correctly the scene should look like.

(Vader and Luke are fighting, touching hands of each other and heavily breathing)

Luke: "What the... Stop, look here. You ... Dad???!1111..."

Edited by kerbiloid

21 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

There was a news report awhile back about parents complaining that Peppa was teaching their kids to speak with a British accent.

Jolly good, I say! Cheerio!

Well, that's what parents get when they leave the education of their children to an animated pig. :)

Of course, my wife is probably disappointed that she has entrusted some portion of our children's education to me, since now they run around quoting Monty Python, 80s Bill Murray comedies, and occasional bits of Blazing Saddles....

I fear The Schwartz is strong in your family...

6 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Well, that's what parents get when they leave the education of their children to an animated pig. :)

Of course, my wife is probably disappointed that she has entrusted some portion of our children's education to me, since now they run around quoting Monty Python, 80s Bill Murray comedies, and occasional bits of Blazing Saddles....

5 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I'm pretty sure that if I walk into my kids' room and yell, "WHAT IN THE WIDE, WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS IS GOING ON HERE!?" one more time my wife is going to smother me with a pillow.

53 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

For us, my daughter can quote Ghostbusters, Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs, and most sketches by Monty Python. In fact just yesterday, after my wife grounded her from the PS4 for two weeks, began singing Always Look on the Bright Side of Life (from The Life of Brian). I thought it was hilarious but my wife, yeah, not so much.

She also has my love of '80s hard rock. Nothing like having ACDC going in the car to hear, "turn it up, Dad. You gotta listen to this song loud!" :cool:

47 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Hehehehe... Among other things. Yeah.

20 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I'm pretty sure that if I walk into my kids' room and yell, "WHAT IN THE WIDE, WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS IS GOING ON HERE!?" one more time my wife is going to smother me with a pillow.

That's great! Next, in a Howard Cosell voice, let your kids know about the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat as you ground them! :D

Well, since this came up....

I have to wonder: Has anyone been losing socks lately, with HE (front load) washers? Because I read a long time ago that the dryer wasn’t the culprit; socks could float over the top of the wash tub and down the drain of top loaders, most likely at the start of the spin cycle. That shouldn’t  happen with front loaders, especially since they usually have a drain filter/sieve (just had to clean mine out again)

On 3/31/2021 at 12:43 PM, adsii1970 said:

She also has my love of '80s hard rock. Nothing like having ACDC going in the car to hear, "turn it up, Dad. You gotta listen to this song loud!"

Same reason I grew up loving the Beach Boys and the Monkees.

21 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I have to wonder: Has anyone been losing socks lately, with HE (front load) washers? Because I read a long time ago that the dryer wasn’t the culprit; socks could float over the top of the wash tub and down the drain of top loaders, most likely at the start of the spin cycle. That shouldn’t  happen with front loaders, especially since they usually have a drain filter/sieve (just had to clean mine out again)

not really no. but considering how i haven't been doing proper laundry with those kinds of washers in a while, I've not been given the unfortunate feeling of a misplaced sock. considering all my socks are also the same color i have like 20 pairs of the same color so ill never run out of them :lol:

3 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Same reason I grew up loving the Beach Boys and the Monkees.

hey hey we're the monkees! ^_^

5 minutes ago, happyplayer321 said:

not really no. but considering how i haven't been doing proper laundry with those kinds of washers in a while, I've not been given the unfortunate feeling of a misplaced sock. considering all my socks are also the same color i have like 20 pairs of the same color so ill never run out of them :lol:

hey hey we're the monkees! ^_^

Yeah, back in the day "athletic" tube socks usually had two colored bands of varying colors near the top, (probably so siblings know which ones are theirs). Hence all the mismatched socks, until the sockmakers got wise and stopped with the colors.

And people say we monkee around...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Interesting.  I have a really hard time to remember the keysets for some features - I'm not hard playing for some time, I'm forgetting the keybinds all the time.

Well, not anymore.

UdDiCSP.png
(source)

WASD is hard to forget, its the Doom keybinds too and it's impossible to fly anything without them.

IJKL, now that I have visualised it, it's the keybinds from the old Apple II computer for editing lines on screen. I will never forget this keys again on KSP!! :D

Visual memories are stronger than written ones. I just made the link because the IJKL shape was depicted ad nauseam on Apple2 manuals. :P

If take the Earth world physical map and invert heights, so make hills be pits and vice versa...
And shift the oceanic level to keep the total volume constant.

The highest mountain would be Mariana Twin Peaks (because it was a trench).

The frighteningly deep Himalayan ocean.

Arctic ocean and Antarctic continent get swapped. But stay icy.

Mediterranean Ridge crosses two shallow seas.
Nile is a strange thousand-km-long and less than 100 m high ground wall from the Mediterranean Ridge to the deep depression in the African Ocean.

Russia stays more or less same, as it's mostly a plain at ~100 m altitude, just with Caucasian Sea between the Caspian and Black Mountains.

American Eastern and Western Coasts are still Eastern and Western Coasts. But of same ocean. 

Camels are not ships of the desert anymore, but ships of the sea. Strange two-hump dolphins have been seen there.

Edited by kerbiloid

8 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Ehm, that's the early Mendeleev keyboard...?  It's expanded to hundreds of keys now...

Never met one of these... :)

I'm talking about this one, before the times people realised they need cursor keys for up and down! :D

Apple-II-keyboard-768x307.jpg

(source)

Interesting... Looking into it, I realised I was wrong! The A2 move keys were IJKM.

IJKL were the firing keys for a A2 game I enjoyed a lot, crossfire!

Spoiler

Interesting how our memory works (or doesn't...)

7 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Think of the mess if electric cars required extension cords.

Good idea!

Put a power grid above the roads and charge a fee for cars to raise a contact device up to the cable.

Edited by Hotel26

50 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

Good idea!

Put a power grid above the roads and charge a fee for cars to raise a contact device up to the cable.

Oh oh oh.   The temptation to play dogems would be too great at that point.